• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Story of a woman in Alaska 1952

My mom told me of a story (true) about a woman who was stranded in alaska in 1952 and spent the winter alone, pregnant. She delivered her own baby. Was a book written about this and what is the name ??

Doesn't exactly match with your description but I found this title while searching.

Your Alaskan Daughter by Harriet Walker

Harriet Walker was born to adventure. Raised by missionary parents in Sierra Leone, Africa, she married a man who had his heart set on life in the Alaska wilderness. In 1953, three months pregnant, she drove with him over the bone-jarring AlCan Highway to a tiny village on the northern coast of the Kenai Peninsula. Her stories of everyday life under extraordinary circumstances are told through a series of letters to her mother, family, and friends.

My mom told me of a story (true) about a woman who was stranded in alaska in 1952 and spent the winter alone, pregnant. She delivered her own baby. Was a book written about this and what is the name ??

Did she die or live?

That's all I want to know.

I think this book is O Rugged Land of Gold by Martha Martin.

"Share the triumph and fear of a woman -- alone, injured, and pregnant -- stranded on a remote Alaska island in winter. Her husband fails to return from a trip, leaving her to survive a winter and give birth at their cabin, alone. This true story is hard to put down."

Back