• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestion: tell us where you're from

Ell

Members from this forum are from all over the world and I think that's what makes it so interesting.

It's also what makes it hard to get quick responses in discussions. I think it helps when you know that someone has an 8 hour time zone difference and you probably won't hear back from certain people for awhile. (eg. new member Jillean is in China and likely won't be on the net till most of us are in bed!)

So here's what I humbly propose:

Those who haven't already done so, fill in their location on their personal User Profiles and it will show up under your name on your posts. I know some of you are worried about giving out too much personal info over the net (me included). But you don't have to give an exact location - a country or region would do.

What do you all think? You could also use this thread to just talk about where you're from.

I live in Yorkshire, England. All my life where I live expect 2 years in Derby, England when I was student.

So you're from England, Kaz! Once you asked about recommending some good foreign films and for a moment I was a bit confused, because I didn't know what "foreign" exactly means to you. So I just put films, where the actors don't speak any form of English. :D I'm happy I didn't make a mistake. But I wondered which country you are from.

Ell, I think that your suggestion is a good idea.

Hi Kaz. Since your first language is British Sign L, it now makes perfect sense to me that you'd like foreign (non-English) films - because of the sub-titles. Duh, I'm just a little slow on the uptake here :eek:

Idun, have you always been in Poland? The reason I ask is that your written English is very good. I wondered if you had gone to school in the UK or somewhere else.

Hello Kaz from a fellow Tyke! :) Which part of Yorkshire are you in? I'm in East Yorkshire.

Ell, thank you very much! I feel so proud of myself now! :D

No, I've never studied abroad. Though I've visited few European countries so far, unfortunately none of them was an English-speaking one. There were some occasions to talk in English, in restaurants for instance, but how much can you learn during a short sightseeing trip?

Originally posted by Kaz
I live in Yorkshire, England. All my life where I live expect 2 years in Derby, England when I was student.
You might want to put that in your profile as well, like Ell said.

I know that when I first joined you had to use your real name as your nick, and Darren asked it we could fill in our countries as well. I kinda liked it that way; it's fun to be able to use people's real first names... you feel less "stupid", somehow. LOL.

Because of privacy or security issues some people are reluctant to use their real names; others are so used to making up a screen name that they would probably never think of using their real name online.

I'll add my location to my profile.

Ell is right that I like foreign films with subtitles in English. I can't live without subtitles. I want to know what they talking about and what they doing as you listen all time but I don't . I use my eyes to read subtitles. I am wearing hearing aids to listen the sounds they make. Without subtitles, I feel lost as same with books with me everywhere.
Idun, you gave me list of foreign films that I would like to see one day. I found foreign films something different with their creatives and art to me.
I wonder can you speaking other languages apart from Polish and English? Your English are brilliant to me. Do you learn English in your school?

Halo, I come from West Yorkshire :) . I will add add location in my profile like Lies said!! :)

Originally posted by Kaz
I can't live without subtitles.
It's funny, but I have that as well, though of course, it's an entirely different thing.

Whenever I'm watching a Dutch movie or series, I just wish they put subtitles on it... That way you don't miss out on anything, even if that annoying brother is making too much noise again. Same thing goes when I'm watching the BBC. First thing I do is switch on the subtitles.
It can get annoying sometimes though, us Dutch folk have become so accustomed to the subtitles, that even when I'm watching something on arte (a German/French channel) and it's an English movie, I still find myself reading both the German and French subtitles... which can be pretty damn confusing. ;)

I'm starting to feel guilty for not revealing my real name...

Kaz, thank you. I used to learn English both in my school and in a language school. I finished my education few months ago, after passing Cambridge examination. I think I'm going to miss my English lessons a trifle, because I really liked studying this language. Apart from Polish and English I speak a bit German, but not very well. I know only bases of this language. In the future, I would like to learn French or Russian.

As for the films, you should definitely see them. You won't regret it.

On the question of subtitles, they can be very useful. When I watch an English or American film, I often have problems with understanding what is being said. Sometimes the actors speak unclearly, or there is noise in my home, which cause serious difficulties in understanding a foreign text. When I see subtitles, it turns out that I knew each and every word.

Well done Idun to passing Cambridge examintion. I want to learn International sign language as I know German fingerspell (A to Z in one hand) through German deaf people I have met recently. I like to learn Italian one day. I like Italian cultures, food and language. I wonder is it easy to learn Russian language? It seems difficult to me, I may be wrong.

lies, I don't know how to cope to read German and French subtitles. Absolutley crazy!!

Originally posted by Kaz
I wonder is it easy to learn Russian language? It seems difficult to me, I may be wrong.
I took Russian classes a couple of years ago, but I've forgotten nearly all of it. I still know the alfabet and some basics, but everything else is gone I'm afraid. It's an interesting language though, maybe I should pick it up again.

I'm from an extremely small town in Holland (gotta love the Dutch countryside (Yeah right!)), and I'm currently studying English Language & Culture at the university of Utrecht.

Despite my abilities with the English language (it's not bad, but absolutely not perfect either, especially in speech), I'm also addicted to subtitles, particularly when I'm watching an interesting film. There's always some noise (talking people, traffic outside, me eating potato chips) and I really don't want to miss anything.

A good thing about DVD's is that you can select English Subtitles. That way I won't miss anything, and I improve my English at the same time. Win/win-situation. Hail DVD!

Cheers, Martin :D

I am in Australia. I live on the Central Coast and have some beautiful beaches within about 10 mins either way. I lived in The Blue Mountains for about 10 years, but I much prefer the coast.

To those of you from Yorkshire........I was born in Huddersfield and most of my relatives are still there. It really is a small world when you get on the internet...............:)

Do we have any other Aussies?

One day I will buy a DVD player which most of DVD cd have subtitles to compare video with closed captions for deaf people are not enough. Example of LofR have no subtitle in video to made me mad as same with other deaf people. But LofR in DVD cd have subtitles but not video!! We made complaint to the company why don't they provide the subtitle in LofR. So now recently I went to see if LofR 2 have subtitles in video or not and found out they have. Some of the video I want to see that haven't got subtitles depend on the companies who made the video. That's really annoying. That's why lot of deaf people rid of the videos to buy DVD players. But some of the video can recorded the programmes with subtitle which I have but DVD can't record subtitles. Can't win!!

Martin, I love to go to Amsterdam that reason I want to go is Tulip park!! I love tulip flowers!! Also Van Gogh arts and Anne Frank Museum. Have you been to Amserdam?

Wow, Vicky, a yorkshire lady lives in Australia. Do you feel more aussie than yorkshire? It feels great to live near beaches, especially when lovely day you can go there for a lovely walk. I would love that.

Currently living in London, UK, but have also lived in various other places in England, and moved to London from a 12 year stint in Scotland.

I have used 'murphyz' as my handle ever since I've used the internet, simply as people always called me by my last name (Murphy) and this name was taken when I attempted to access a chat room for the first time, so I stuck a Z on the end (original huh?). First name is Michael.

My avatar is part of a hand drawing from Britt Martin, and, like most images I take form the internet, I got his permission to use it many years ago. I use that as my avatar for most forum unless there is a specific reason to use others (such as a specific forum theme).

Soo, handle and avatar - not changed in years. How boring am I? :)

Mxx (I've only been using 'Mxx' to sign things for about 2 years though)

Originally posted by Kaz:
Have you been to Amserdam?
Yes I have, I love Amsterdam. It's a great city to just wander through and watch all the crazy people, or all the foreigners getting stoned. Great city.

Cheers, Martin :p

Back