• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

suggestion

I wouldn't do that, actually. That would just get too much for people with a low resolution and all... plus I like it sober. I wasn't too thrilled to find out that you could add images to your signature, but I'm glad no one seems to be abusing that option, so that's OK I guess. :)

I like the option to be able to have a personal image attached to your name, however, I think that, as Lies said, it should stay sober and small. I don't think having a big and detailed picture under your name would be a smart thing to do. Takes away the attention, or something.

Anyway, I'm sorry, but I don't agree, PatrickBateman.

Cheers, Martin :D

Patrick, what size did you have in mind. The current 64x64 is a standard avatar size.

Well ive cut my avatar down to 64 x 64 but it doesnt look that great - i think some pics look a lot better at around double that; 125 x 125 perhaps? This may be a touch on the large side however :confused:

Originally posted by phil_t
Well ive cut my avatar down to 64 x 64 but it doesnt look that great
If you crop it a bit in its original size it would look somewhat better I think.

I'd say that what matters, particularly on a book forum, is the writing and not the images. I personally like avatars so I can quickly identify someone, or see in a thread at a glance where my last post is.
I also think that avatars should not be available to people until they have made a set number of posts, and then extra permissions given to those who continuously post entries - such as a larger size or animated gifs and such like.

This would reduce the database size from having to store images for people who only bother to write here four times and yet still have avatars. It sounds ideal to me that people are rewarded for their loyalty by having things that others don't have, and seeing as how so many people seem in want of bigger and better avatars, this may prove to be a motivating factor for people to come here.

Mxx

Thats not a bad idea Murphyz, and i agree it would help to save space for the site, but it may make the site a bit elitist and drive people away, which i know is what has happened on some other forums

Personally i have removed my avatar for now, im not a whizz in the graphical packages, and as it starts off at 150 x 150 its a tad too large to cut the pixels down to 64 x 64 satisfactorily :( Mebbe i'll find a new avatar at some point

I wouldn't say it's elitist if everyone can use a standard sized avatar upon joining the forum. I just think that in order to get 'added benefits' as it were, which include a larger avatar and taking valuable and expensive space on a forum that is free should not be given to everyone that comes along.
Think along the same lines as loyalty cards where people are rewarded for using a certain store - everyone gets the basics when they come here and join, but those who contribute get a little extra.

Mxx

Back