• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: December 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this thread closed or not ???

My suggestion for Dec 2004 would be "Lamb" by Christopher Moore. It isnt a Christmas theme but it is the 'story of Jesus' childhood years'. It is hysterical and will keep the holiday blues from your door.

The following is from the book jacket...

The birth of Jesus has been well chronicled, as have his glorious teachings, acts, and divine sacrifice after his thirtieth birthday. But no one knows about the early life of the Son of God, the missing years -- except Biff.

Verily, the story Biff has to tell is a miraculous one, filled with remarkable journeys, magic, healings, kung-fu, corpse reanimations, demons, and hot babes -- whose considerable charms fall to Biff to sample, since Josh is forbidden the pleasures of the flesh. (There are worse things than having a best friend who is chaste and a chick magnet!) And, of course, there is danger at every turn, since a young man struggling to understand his godhood, who is incapable of violence or telling anything less than the truth, is certain to piss some people off. Luckily Biff is a whiz at lying and cheating -- which helps get his divine pal and him out of more than one jam. And while Josh's great deeds and mission of peace will ultimately change the world, Biff is no slouch himself, blessing humanity with enduring contributions of his own, like sarcasm and café latte. Even the considerable wiles and devotion of the Savior's pal may not be enough to divert Joshua from his tragic destiny. But there's no one who loves Josh more -- except maybe "Maggie," Mary of Magdala -- and Biff isn't about to let his extraordinary pal suffer and ascend without a fight.

Lamb is the crowning achievement of Christopher Moore's storied career: fresh, wild, audacious, divinely hilarious, yet heartfelt, poignant, and alive, with a surprising reverence. Let there be rejoicing unto the world! Christopher Moore is come -- to bring truth, light, and big yuks to fans old and new with the Greatest Story Never Told!

Laurah, I've heard of that book. I'm interested, but I was wondering if you thought it might seem a bit offensive to Christians. Just curious. I might just pick it up, now that I've seen someone who actually recommends it.

This thread ran a bit late. It's now closed, and the poll will be up shortly.

A poll can only have 10 options, so the first 10 suggestions are put forward.

Eleven Minutes By Paulo Coelho
A Painted House by John Grisham
Can Reindeer Fly? The Science of Christmas by Roger Highfield
Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Lamb by Christopher Moore
December 6 by Martin Cruz Smith
The Santa Claus Bank Robbery by A.C. Greene
Silent Night by Stanley Weintraub
A Brush with Darkness by Lisa Fittipaldi

Status
Not open for further replies.