• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: February 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

A maximum of ten books will be put to the vote.

If more than 10 books are suggested, then books which have more than one nomination will take priority (books with three nominations get priority over books with two etc.). The remainder will be put forward in the order they are suggested until the 10 voting slots are filled.

"Tolkien's Gown" and Other Stories of Great Authors and Rare Books by Rick Gekoski

the American title is => Nabokov's Butterfly: And Other Stories of Great Authors and Rare Books

aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_P_184119929X.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Based on the popular BBC Radio 4 series Rare Books, Rare People, "Tolkien's Gown" and Other Stories of Great Authors and Rare Books is a veritable feast of the tales behind some of the most iconic titles to have graced British publishing, and fascinating anecdotes about the authors who wrote them. It starts with the story of how Graham Green arranged a meeting in his hotel room to sell a signed copy of "Lolita" for #4,000 to the author of this book, Rick Gekoski, over a glass or ten of vodka. He resold the book for #9,000 in his hungover state the next day to Elton John's lyricist Bernie Taupin and in later years, it went on to fetch $264,000 at auction in Christies. With all the other behind-the-scenes stories, this becomes a gem of a book, tales about Tolkien, Potter, Orwell, Larkin, Hemingway and more, representing a treasure trove of trivia for book fans. amazon.de

A first edition of Ulysses sold for $460,000 in auction at Christie's in 2002. The price might have upset the union chief, convicted gangster, and major-league James Joyce book collector Dennis Silverman, who had sold his copy, signed and inscribed by the author, for a mere $135,000 ten years earlier. Great books attract all kinds and come to fascinating destinies of their own, as Nabokov's Butterfly amply demonstrates. In it, author and rare book dealer Rick Gekoski profiles twenty editions of major books that have passed through his hands and made publishing history, as they have become the legends of rare book collectors. Plied with alcohol by Graham Greene, sued by J. D. Salinger, harassed by Harold Pinter, berated by Ted Hughes who unloaded his personal and passionately inscribed copy of Sylvia Plath's The Colossus, Gekoski is a convivial participant in these histories, including his tale, and sale, of Mr. Tolkien's college gown. Not entirely unabashedly he recalls purchasing from Graham Greene his first edition of Lolita, with Nabokov's signature drawing of a butterfly inside, one day, and on the next selling it to Elton John's lyricist at a $10,000 profit. 25 color photographs are featured in this remarkable book. amazon.com

I'll give a vote for Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway.
I just bought this the other day; it's one of those ridiculously cheap "Penguin popular classic" paperbacks, so it should be possible to get for a couple of quid.
So far I've only read her "To the lighthouse", which was one of the highlights of this year's summer, for me. I've seen a lot of negative comments about it since, but they're usually about things that had never struck me at all (one prominent one being "when the hell are they gonna get to that lighthouse? Get to it!")

Chances are there'll be a ton of things to discuss in this book too, though it might be a harder overall read than most of the featured books so far. But hey, it's no Finnegans Wake!

For your consideration then, the opening paragraphs:
Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself.

For Lucy had her work cut out for her. The doors would be taken off their hinges; Rumpelmayer’s men were coming. And then, thought Clarissa Dalloway, what a morning—fresh as if issued to children on a beach.

What a lark! What a plunge! For so it had always seemed to her, when, with a little squeak of the hinges, which she could hear now, she had burst open the French windows and plunged at Bourton into the open air. How fresh, how calm, stiller than this of course, the air was in the early morning; like the flap of a wave; the kiss of a wave; chill and sharp and yet (for a girl of eighteen as she then was) solemn, feeling as she did, standing there at the open window, that something awful was about to happen; looking at the flowers, at the trees with the smoke winding off them and the rooks rising, falling; standing and looking until Peter Walsh said, “Musing among the vegetables?”—was that it?—“I prefer men to cauliflowers”—was that it? He must have said it at breakfast one morning when she had gone out on to the terrace—Peter Walsh. He would be back from India one of these days, June or July, she forgot which, for his letters were awfully dull; it was his sayings one remembered; his eyes, his pocket-knife, his smile, his grumpiness and, when millions of things had utterly vanished—how strange it was!—a few sayings like this about cabbages.

She stiffened a little on the kerb, waiting for Durtnall’s van to pass. A charming woman, Scrope Purvis thought her (knowing her as one does know people who live next door to one in Westminster); a touch of the bird about her, of the jay, blue-green, light, vivacious, though she was over fifty, and grown very white since her illness. There she perched, never seeing him, waiting to cross, very upright.

The Pirates!: In an Adventure With Scientists, A Novel - Gideon Defoe

This book is comedy about Pirates it was a great read!!

How about Da Vinci Code?

I'm KIDDING... geez.

I nominate One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. Why? Well, you'll just have to read it to find out, wouldn't you?

The Master of Petersburg - J.M. Coetzee

"Anyone interested in the power of fiction to move us and extend our sense of life should get hold of this book". (It says here).

I'll go for one flew over the cookos nest too. A friend recently went to see the play, and loved it. It really inspired her to pick up the book.

The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King.

n710.jpg

_

One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest would be good. Been meaning to read it for a long time, perhaps this will give me the push to do so.

R.A. Salvatore's Homeland. The reason? Its actually a Fantasy books with Politics and a structured society. It may sound BORING but, the Drows (The Inhabitants of the city, Menzoberanazan, the story takes place in) find it normal to murder your brother to move farther up the family hierarchy! The system of justice may not be just, but it sure as anything makes you want to read more and more.

I nominate Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. It's a story about a man named Billy Pilgrim who has come "Unstuck in Time". He walks through a door in 1948 and enters a room in 1962. Living his life in separate fragments, he knows when he's going to die, when his wife will die, even when the Universe will end.

Billy can prevent most of the occurances from happening, if he would only speak up, but he remains silent, and he lets things remain "structured" by Fate. It's really a great read!

Genre: Science-fiction/ Dark Comedy

How about; "Consuming kids; The hotile takeover of childhood;" by Susan Linn?

I hear it's a real eye opener. :) Plus I am in the mood for non-fiction...

~Witch

Can I add an OR! :D
OR How about 'The Time Traveler's Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger..
Just started reading it and WOW! WOW! DO CHECK IT OUT!

I nominate Legend by David Gemmell - classic heroic fantasy with dominant themes of good and evil, but also acknowledging that all people are truly made up of shades of grey.

I nominate Memoirs of Geisha by Aurthor Golden because I is simply one of the most beautiful books of all time. It is one of those ones written so well and so realistically that you become sucked into it and the character he portrays.

I'm new to the forum and I'd be interested to know what the book vote is all about. I can see that you vote for a book, read the book, but what happens next?
By the way I noticed that for January someone suggested Cloud Atlas, if it didn't win for that month I would suggest it for February.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back