• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: February 2013 BOTM - Romance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landslide

Suggestions for February 2013 BOTM. I'm going to choose the genre for this month too. I'm sticking to the same genre we've had in February for two years now, since it's led to successful discussions in both years. And the genre for February is... Romance.

One suggestion per member, please.

Which one are you nominating regdog? I've got to think about this one a bit. Don't want to waste time on a Harley so I have to go look at my TBR shelf.

Which one are you nominating regdog? I've got to think about this one a bit. Don't want to waste time on a Harley so I have to go look at my TBR shelf.

You waste time, wtf? If I recall you were all over the November 12 BOTM discussion thread but came the big event you were conspicuous by your absence...

I suggested the three because each one is a fantastic stand alone historical romance. And wanted to give some choices.

Outlander is the first book in a long series 8 books to date. It involves time travel from the 1940's England to 1745 Scotland and back again.

The Pride of Lions and it's sequel The Blood of Roses are a 2 book set that takes place around the Rising in Scotland.

You waste time, wtf? If I recall you were all over the November 12 BOTM discussion thread but came the big event you were conspicuous by your absence...

The book chosen held no interest for me. I couldn't get it quickly at the library and I choose not to spend money on a book I don't wish to read. Or waste the leisure time I have on reading something I'm not interested it. Did I miss out? I didn't see a lot of discussion about it.

I suggested the three because each one is a fantastic stand alone historical romance. And wanted to give some choices.

Outlander is the first book in a long series 8 books to date. It involves time travel from the 1940's England to 1745 Scotland and back again.

The Pride of Lions and it's sequel The Blood of Roses are a 2 book set that takes place around the Rising in Scotland.

I've read all the Gabaldon books, and the Pride of Lions. The deal is, everyone only gets one suggestions so you need to decide which one is your suggestion for the BOTM.

I've been tossing around ideas for what to suggest here as there are so many good romance writers. I finally narrowed it down to Linda Howard but then was trying to decide which one to nominate. I have two sitting on my shelves to be read. I think I will nominate Mr Perfect by Linda Howard as my pick.

The book chosen held no interest for me. I couldn't get it quickly at the library and I choose not to spend money on a book I don't wish to read. Or waste the leisure time I have on reading something I'm not interested it. Did I miss out? I didn't see a lot of discussion about it.

I fully understand your reasons for not participating but that doesn't change the fact you were influential in the initial choice of genre. Had you said the final chosen novel had no interest for you I wouldn't have shelled out for a novel I didn't want or found myself in a cosy thread with just me and the mod!

No problem, regdog. It's just that based on our previous experience with BOTM we find it easier to have only one suggestion per member.

Conscious Bob, although we would love to have every person who votes participating on our BOTMs, it's just not possible. And I'll give you my own example. Living in Portugal, it means I almost always will have to buy the book, unless it's a classic or a huge bestseller that's been already translated into portuguese. And even then, sometimes my local library simply does not have said book. And to be honest, some of the choices are not books I'm interested in buying. But I do trust that, for a book to win, it means at least the people who voted for it are interested in reading and participating in the discussion. Unfortunately that is not always the case...

Conscious Bob, although we would love to have every person who votes participating on our BOTMs, it's just not possible. And I'll give you my own example. Living in Portugal, it means I almost always will have to buy the book, unless it's a classic or a huge bestseller that's been already translated into portuguese. And even then, sometimes my local library simply does not have said book. And to be honest, some of the choices are not books I'm interested in buying. But I do trust that, for a book to win, it means at least the people who voted for it are interested in reading and participating in the discussion. Unfortunately that is not always the case...

Then with all due respect why are you voting?

I bought the November BOTM to participate in a book discussion, not to finish up in a thread talking to myself.

Would it not be more straightforward and courteous if forumites that insist on discussing the choice of book yet can't participate for whatever reason, made their intention not to participate clear in the discussion thread and not waste other people's time.

Your fellow mod Occlith did put in the first contribution to November BOTM but it was a short review rather than a discussion opener.

Sadly sometimes that is what happens and it has happened to me in the past. And you're right, ideally anyone voting should be willing to read whatever book was chosen. But I know that would mean the end of BOTM. The way it's working now is not perfect but, I think, it's the best we can achieve...

But, from now on, after a book is chosen, I'll be asking people to sign up for the reading, as a way to know who will be reading it and to let other people know who will be joining them in discussing the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back