• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions for April 2013 BOTM: Contemporary Novels Published After 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
My choice is Major Pettigrew's Last Stand -- a delightful book written in 2010 about a prim and proper retired British Major who becomes friends with a widowed Pakistani shopkeeper, Mrs. Ali. You can imagine what his friends and acquaintances think of this -- not only is the lady a foreigner (heaven forbid!) but she's "in a trade." The story is very much character driven and "leisurely paced" (ie, slow for readers who prefer a lot of action). But I found the writing to be extraordinary and the characters memorable. I HIGHLY recommend this book.

I'd like to suggest 'the timekeeper' by mitch albom
I gave it an 8
If nominated I'll read again to stay current.
I read a lot of books

My suggestion for the Month of April is to read Clive Hamilton's latest book titled Earth Masters, "Playing God with the climate". Clive shares with us the geoengineering ideas to manage global warming, that is keep the planet cool. Published 2013 by Allen & Uwin. Straight from the book, " Scientists and engineers are now investigating methods to manipulate the earth's cloud cover, change the oceans chemical composition and blanket the planet with a layer of sunlight-reflecting particles. ....Two broad classes, carbon dioxide removal technologies and Solar radiation management technologies...over forty five different ideas." If not the local bookshop, try the local library, or ebook...

My own suggestion would be Ali Smith, There But For The (2011).

It's a story about Miles Garth who decides to indefinitely lock himself into the bathroom. His self-imposed imprisonment makes him something of a celebrity with people outside the house trying to catch a glimpse of him.

I second Life of Pi. Just read it in anticipation of seeing the movie. Fascinating book. I don't second The Night Circus. I don't read dark fantasy. Beautifully packaged darkness is still dark.

Funny, I didn't find it dark - a little sad at times but mostly hopeful, I would say, and filled with a bit of wonder, which you would normally expect from a circus. I doubt it's any darker than House Harkonnen.

uh very funny! I'm ROFL holding my sides in with laughter. I ain't reading it. :p so there.
read the sig​

uh very funny! I'm ROFL holding my sides in with laughter. I ain't reading it. :p so there.
read the sig​

There is absolutely no requirement to actually read the book in order to join in a rollicking discussion or defamation of it, as we have seen many times over on posts here and across the web. That's what makes it so discussable. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back