• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions for my Father

Suhizzle

I wasn't sure if I should put this in Suggestions or this forum, but anyways, I have a dilemma. I want to get my father back into reading by buying him a book on his upcoming birthday.

The thing is he hasn't read a book of any kind for more than 2 decades, and he's afraid of starting over. So I was wondering if you guys would recommend a book that will just really get him back into reading again.

Now, I don't know what he likes but I know he dislikes anything sci-fi/fantasy, so no Goodkind, Tolkien, Card, or Asimov, because he won't read it. I was thinking of getting him "The Art of War" by Sun-Tzu because of how it is practical in today's world. I also know that he likes movies that deal with deep characters, have more of a murder-mystery type plot, and deal with REAL-LIFE characters. His favorite actors are Clint Eastwood, Robert DeNiro, and Al Pacino, so if you have any like Westerns/Mafia/Crazy character books, please post them.

Thank you so much,

-Suhizzle

I don't think Sun Tsu's 'Art of War' would be the best choice. It's pretty philosophical and dry for someone who hasn't read anything for awhile.

What has he read in the past that he liked? How old is he?

How about a Larry McMurtry book if he likes westerns or The Godfather by Mario Puzo (on the off-chance he hasn't seen the movie).

Can't think of anything else, but I'm sure someone else can come up with other ideas.

I've heard of "Wiseguy" by Nicholas Pileggi.
Don't know if it's any good though, but I think the movie "Goodfellas" was based on this book.

I would suggest....

to buy him some short story collections!!!

I recently bought my father "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac (i'm totally aware of the fact that this isn't a short story :p ) and "**** Machine" by Charles Bukowski and he said he is going to start with Bukowski, because it is a short story collection and it's faster to read. He doesn't read that much either and if he does he mainly reads magazines and news papers.
So i guess for a person who hasn't read a book for a long time, it's definitely better to buy short stories!!

Try John D. MacDonald's books, set in Florida. They're about a drifter/tough guy detective named Travis McGee. My dad loves them. They're quick read, well written, and the old guy comes out looking cool. The writing is good, too.

to buy him some short story collections!!!

I agree with Harry.

If he likes character driven stories, you could try

'Will You Please Be Quiet, Please' by Raymond Carver

They're not mafia stories but, the characters are VERY realistic. Carver highlights their peculiarities & idiosyncrasies so that they leap off the page.

st0gey said:
'Will You Please Be Quiet, Please' by Raymond Carver
I agree on this one. I haven't read all the stories in it, but the few I read were great, they're strange and leave you perplexed with some thinking to do. :)

Thanks a lot for the ideas everyone. I guess I should get him a collection of short stories, since it would be easier on him to read it. I'll look through those books you guys selected and see which one is right for him.

This thread can be used for anyone who wants their family member or friend to get back into reading, not just for my father, so please, if anyone else has a similar problem to mine, go ahead and post, and I'm sure everyone will try to help.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone. Oh yeah, he's turning 50, if I didn't mention it.

I have two suggestions in the Humor category. Both of them are VERY funny and poignant. Both either take place or look back on the 1960s.

One is out of print, but you can usually find used copies for next to nothing on Amazon Marketplace: "The Junk Drawer Corner Store Front Porch Blues" by John R. Powers. It's about a man who goes home for the first time in 20 years after his mother is hospitalized, and looks back on his family and friends.

The other is "The Yakota Officers Club" by Sarah Bird. She describes what it's like to be a misfit military brat being raised in Japan. She wins a dance contest - the prize is to be the Lovely Assistant to a 3rd rate comedian during his tour of Japan. He renames her Zelda, and makes her wear go-go boots and a blond wig. She has to dance to Peter Paul and Mary (some prize!).

Both are really excellent. They also make a very good complementary pair, if you're looking for two books to read at the same time.

Your Dad may enjoy 'Catch 22' by Joseph Heller

I have not read it but heard a lot about it :)

i may be biased (i'm reading this book right now ;) ) but "the princess bride" is a fairly easy read, has lots going on to keep the plot moving, and is both hilarious and touching.

I would any Stephen Leather (however I strongly recommend Hard Landing) or Trail of the Dead, by Dan Evans. Both are murder mysteries.

Erica said:
Your Dad may enjoy 'Catch 22' by Joseph Heller

It's funny you mentioned that because my father DID read that book when he was in college, and that's the only book he talks about when it comes to anything he's read. But, I'm pretty sure he won't want to read it again. I think he would throw it away after the first chapter, from what I've read at least, but who knows? Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions everyone! :)

I suggest anything by Paul Auster; very real, gritty characters put in interesting situations. I think he meets all the requirements you listed, and his stories are a combination of mystery and soul-searching. I recommend he starts with Leviathan, the story about a successful man who blows himself up and his childhood friend who tries to piece the situation together.

If he likes to laugh, I'd suggest the short story collections of Patrick McManus or Pat Wray. The hero in those are tough and grizzled (but bumbling) guys who keep being in the wrong place at the wrong time. My dad loved them! :)

How about

Tom Sharpe - Humour
Bernard Cornwall - Historical (action)
Wilbur Smith - Action
Jeffery Deaver - Forensic Crime

Back