• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions for September's Book of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

New suggestions for September 2002. You can include books previously suggested or which don't win August's Book of the Month.

silly me!

I just realized I didn't suggest my favorite book. What was I thinking!
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. I also just realized I promised a review on it. Oops.

It's scifi with a twist...actually a couple of twists. For those who shy away from scifi, I promise it's not what you'd expect.

Try it, you'll like it.

American Gods by Neil Gamain.

I discovered Neil Gamain when I read Good Omens written with Terry Pratchet. I found American Gods in Ottakars whilst browsing one day and decided to give it a try.

Mike

Proulx-dent

I like Neil Gaiman - being an old Sandman fan - and Good Omens is one of the best, funniest populist books I've ever read.

But I must put my hand up for The Shipping News. Been meaning to buy a copy of that for years.

Tobytook

I've never read any of Stephen King's work. I've been told that "The Stand" is a good book to start with, so I'll throw that into the pot.

I'd offer up:

1. Ian McEwan's ...... Enduring Love

I love IM's stuff, first discovered him with the two short story collections ..... First Loves, Last Rights + In-between The Sheets ...... back in the mid 70s. He's had many good books since then but Enduring Love did it for me.

2. William Kowalski's ........ Eddie's Bastard

Magical, engrossing & unusual debut novel (followed unfortunately by a rather weak follow-up & second part to the story .... Somewhere South Of Here).

Hey, this is my first real posting :)

Dave B.

Originally posted by Darren Lewis
I've never read any of Stephen King's work. I've been told that "The Stand" is a good book to start with, so I'll throw that into the pot.
oooouuuuuu shodda picked Misery ;) lol

Looks like it's going to be "The Shipping News" unless anyone has anymore suggestions before the end of the month.

Not too sure how much longer we'll run this "Book of the Month" idea. It doesn't appear to be that popular. I'm still reading August's book, but have been a bit busy this month to devote too much time to reading :(

Any thoughts?

Darren.

Originally posted by Darren Lewis
Not too sure how much longer we'll run this "Book of the Month" idea. It doesn't appear to be that popular.

I'd have to say (as a newbie) that I don't think I would get much out of the BOTM idea. I'm not really sure exactly what BOTM adds, unless a reasonable number of us were to read the BOTM then discuss it. I'm much more excited by the suggestions people make and their opinions (good, bad & indifferent) on the books they have read or are currently reading. The 'What Are You Reading Now' idea + the new 'Reviews' section will be where it's @ for me :)

Stay Happy, Dave B.

September BOTM -The Shipping News

We could try The Shipping News for September, then see how it goes.

Perhaps some guidelines are in order? Nothing too onerous. eg.

- Everyone try to finish and be ready for discussion by 3rd week of month
- Anyone can start discussion
- Post "Spoiler Alert", if necessary at beginning of comments for benefit of those who haven't finished

I think we have more response for September than we had for August. Maybe we'll have better luck. August has been a busy month. I, for one, would like to try again.

That's my two cents worth.

The Shipping News

Count me in for the discussion about "The Shipping News". I wasn't very motivated by "Coma", but I'd like to read this one...

Same here! But since I was the one who suggested The Shipping News my vote doesn't count. I admit I didn't read Coma this month, but I read it when it first came out. I tried to motivate myself to read it again, but alas to no avail. Sorry guys. I'll try to do better this time around. :p

Originally posted by Dawn
I admit I didn't read Coma this month, but I read it when it first came out.
i was on vac. at the beg. of the mth.... but when i got back, i tried for 2 weeks, wasn't able to get my hands on a copy of it:(

anyone know what date the Sept. book will be selected?

Ell said:
We could try The Shipping News for September, then see how it goes.

Perhaps some guidelines are in order? Nothing too onerous. eg.

- Everyone try to finish and be ready for discussion by 3rd week of month
- Anyone can start discussion
- Post "Spoiler Alert", if necessary at beginning of comments for benefit of those who haven't finished

I'll go search out my copy -- it's been a while since I read it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back