• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: June 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ell

This thread will close on May 1.

A maximum of ten books will be put to the vote.

If more than 10 books are suggested, then books which have more than one nomination will take priority (books with three nominations get priority over books with two etc.).

The remainder will be put forward in the order they are suggested until the 10 voting slots are filled.

I know an either/or is sort of cheating, but I would like to suggest either:

Blue Angel by Francine Prose (how does a writer get that name, must have connections?)

or
Dog of the Marriage by Amy Hempel.

I haven't read either book, but I've read enough about them to know I want to read them.

' The Shadow Of The Wind ' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Hidden in the heart of the old city of Barcelona is the 'cemetery of lost books', a labyrinthine library of obscure and forgotten titles that have long gone out of print. To this library, a man brings his 10-year-old son Daniel one cold morning in 1945. Daniel is allowed to choose one book from the shelves and pulls out 'La Sombra del Viento' by Julian Carax. But as he grows up, several people seem inordinately interested in his find. Then, one night, as he is wandering the old streets once more, Daniel is approached by a figure who reminds him of a character from La Sombra del Viento, a character who turns out to be the devil. This man is tracking down every last copy of Carax's work in order to burn them. What begins as a case of literary curiosity turns into a race to find out the truth behind the life and death of Julian Carax and to save those he left behind. A page-turning exploration of obsession in literature and love, and the places that obsession can lead.

Little, Big
by​
John Crowley

A magical, funny, eloquent, unforgettable fantasy about a house filled with enchantment and the strange folk who inhabit it.

4htiqc

:)

Holy Fools by Joanne Harris

I have enjoyed Harris' other books and I picked it up on a whim and it looks quite good:

With her internationally bestselling novels Chocolat, Blackberry Wine, Five Quarters of the Orange, and Coastliners, Joanne Harris has woven intoxicating spells that celebrate the sensuous while exposing the passion, secrets, and folly beneath the surface of rustic village life. In Holy Fools, her most ambitious and accomplished novel to date, she transports us back to a time of intrigue and turmoil, of deception and masquerade.

In the year 1605, a young widow, pregnant and alone, seeks sanctuary at the small Abbey of Sainte Marie-de-la-mer on the island of Noirs Moustiers off the Brittany coast. After the birth of her daughter, she takes up the veil, and a new name, Soeur Auguste. But the peace she has found in re-mote isolation is shattered five years later by the events that follow the death of her kind benefactress, the Reverend Mother.

When a new abbess -- the daughter of a corrupt noble family elevated by the murder of King Henri IV -- arrives at Sainte Marie-de-la-mer, she does not arrive alone. With her is her personal confessor and spiritual guide, Père Colombin, a man Soeur Auguste knows all too well. For the newcomer is Guy LeMerle, a charlatan and seducer now masquerading as a priest, and the one man she fears more than any other.

Soeur Auguste has a secret. Once she was l'Ailée, "The Winged One," star performer of a troupe led by LeMerle, before betrayal forced her to change her identity. But now the past has found her. Before long, thanks to LeMerle, suspicion and debauchery are breeding like a plague within the convent's walls -- fueled by dark rumors of witchcraft, part of the false priest's brilliantly orchestrated scheme of revenge. To protect herself and her beloved child, l'Ailée will have to perform one last act of dazzling daring more audacious than any she has previously attempted.

awww.readinggroupguides.com_guides_covers_0553379615.jpg

"Into The Forest" by Jean Hegland

Set in the near-future, Into the Forest is a powerfully imagined novel that focuses on the relationship between two teenage sisters living alone in their Northern California forest home.

Over 30 miles from the nearest town, and several miles away from their nearest neighbor, Nell and Eva struggle to survive as society begins to decay and collapse around them. No single event precedes society's fall. There is talk of a war overseas and upheaval in Congress, but it still comes as a shock when the electricity runs out and gas is nowhere to be found. The sisters consume the resources left in the house, waiting for the power to return. Their arrival into adulthood, however, forces them to reexamine their place in the world and their relationship to the land and each other.

Reminiscent of Margaret Atwood's A Handmaid's Tale, Into the Forest is a mesmerizing and thought-provoking novel of hope and despair set in a frighteningly plausible near-future America.

Dogtanian said:
Tis' a good book. The sequel Last Witness is even better :)

:) I can't put Retribution down, now taking it everywhere with me :eek:
If Her next one even better lets put it forward to.

'The Last Witness' by Jilliane Hoffman

4l1wyr

I am new to this site but i would like to recommand

Mortal fear by Robin Cook

A harrowing medical nightmare on the cutting edge of genetic research.
At a large Boston clinic, a world-class biologist stumbles upon a miraculous discovery, a major scientific breakthough. Soon, healthy, middle-aged patients are dying of old age. And the utimate experiment in terror begins...

Delta_doh! said:
Little, Big
by​
John Crowley

A magical, funny, eloquent, unforgettable fantasy about a house filled with enchantment and the strange folk who inhabit it.

4htiqc

I'd like to second this book :)

Delta_doh! said:
Little, Big
by​
John Crowley

4htiqc

Good one! Just read the reviews... coooo! Can I 3rd it :D

Dog of the Marriage by Amy Hempel (originally suggested by novella.)- sorry, i had a quote malfunction.

I have heard alot about Amy Hempel and would love to read and discuss this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back