• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions Needed: Humorous Children's Fictions.

Gilgamesh

Hi all.

Can anyone recommend a book with humor for children.
I have a 10 year old kid who loves to read books, and she recently read Carl Hiassen's "Hoot". I know "Flush" is also written by Hiassen and is also funny.

Can anyon recommend other "funny" books for a kid?

Thank you.

p.s.: This is a fabulous place - I love this forum! :cool:
& my Avatar doesn't go too well with my handle. But, what can I
say, I just finished reading Gilgamesh, and my favorite author is
Steinbeck. :p (I noticed Timshel is taken.)

Hi all.

Can anyone recommend a book with humor for children.
I have a 10 year old kid who loves to read books, and she recently read Carl Hiassen's "Hoot". I know "Flush" is also written by Hiassen and is also funny.

Can anyon recommend other "funny" books for a kid?

Thank you.

I would suggest Astrid Lindgren's books. Here are some of the reviews
on Bill Bergson (Kalle Blomquist), he is a boy and a detective, his adventures together with his friends are simply hilarious! As a 10-years old, I was reading and laughing so hard that my parents gave me strange looks! But when they saw what I was reading, they smiled and after I finished they secretly re-read those books for themselves, which I am sure reminded them of their own childhood. Those books never stop being funny, whether you are 10, 50 or 100 years old!

Another (very funny one) by the same author is Karlson-on-the-roof.

Actually, as you will see in the reviews in the above links, those a very known and very beloved stories across the whole Europe and Russia. However - for some unclear reason - in English those books are out of print. I think it is a crime. I would not be able to imagine my childhood without Karlson or without Kalle Blomquist, the detective.

If your kids speak Swedish, German or Russian, they are blessed since they can be exposed to this funny, brilliant, smart pieces of good children literature.

Or may be you will be lucky and find some rest overs of once-in-print English editions.

Thanks for the reply. My kid read few of her books. All of them would be about Pippi Longstocking though. I did not realize that the author's other books were also popular. I should look into it. Thanks.

In regards how U.S. does not have some books - that is so true. Is it because the publishers do not make as much money if the authors are not copyright protected? I'm not sure. I had hard time getting my hands on good Sinbad book that I used to enjoy. There are books about Sinbad, but mostly for really young kids, and not as juvenile fictions. Maybe it's due to the war in mideast? I don't think so. While I also like to point out that 1001 Arabian nights book that I have is published by Oxford. Wierd.

more ideas

I suggest Louis Sachar, he wrote the Wayside series which are an easy fun read and he wrote the book Holes. I also suggest Sharon Creech, her book Walk Two Moons is wonderful (it's funny and sad), her book Absolutely Normal Chaos is a good read from what I can remember.

Astrid Lindgrens books are great. Its a shame if they are out of print in English.

You should also look into Roald Dahls childrens books.

Jacqueline Wilson

Hello! As a Swede I grew up with Astrid Lindgren´s books. They are great. Although, if you want something more contemporary I would suggest most books by Jacqueline Wilson. Wonderful british humour. She deals with serious issues (homelessness, bullying, divorce, etc) in a very light-hearted and warm way. Not at all depressing or scary! Wilson´s books are very exciting and engaging, not only for kids! :)

I've just read Granny by Anthony Horowitz, which is very funny and quite nasty (evil grannies). His Diamond Brothers books are funny too.
Just quick, entertaining reads. Nothing very deep - I'm not sure what type of funny you are after for her.
Hope she finds something she enjoys.

Farley Mowat's The Dog Who Wouldn't Be, although not actually fiction, is written in Mowat's near fictional quality, and it is really funny. I don't know how lightly funny it would be for a young reader, but I certainly found it a riot. It is definitely a children's book.

Adrian Mole

Hi again!

I just remembered the Adrian Mole books by Sue Townsend. "The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 ¾" & "The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole". Theses are hilarious and appreciated both by kids, young adults and grown-ups. Very, very funny! There are more books in the series but I guess the two mentioned above are the ones that a ten year old would like best. Check them out. Once you learn to known Adrian you wont ever forget him, that´s how a feel.

You must find something by Roald Dahl, his books are great. "George's Marvellous Medicine" is probably a good one for a ten year old. "The Witches" is great, "The Twits" I love even now. "Matilda" is great and just right for a girl - I love the bit when Bruce Bogtrotter eats a whole chocolate cake and Miss Trunchbull is a wonderful character.

There have been some fantastic replies here! I have to second Sachar's Wayside School series. Very funny. Also Roald Dahl's books - all of them!

And I'll add the Junie B. Jones books. I know they're young and easy - but the humor even carries through for adults!

And I have to add my own books here, because there is a lot of humor in them, although they are fantasy books as well!
Check out the Erec Rex series - a 10 year old that loves to read will really like them! (I get lots of fan mail from kids that age...)

You're lucky you've got a great reader!
Kaza Kingsley
Author of the Erec Rex series
erecrex.com

Richard Peck is another good author. I absolutely LOVE A Long Way from Chicago and laughed many times out loud at the interesting situations that the grandma found herself in with her grandkids. His other books are entertaining, as well.

I would like to suggest the "Hank The Cowdog" series by John R. Erickson.

The first book in the series is Hank the Cowdog #1. The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog.

It's about a dumb-as-dirt West Texas cowdog who is constantly getting into trouble.

"Hank the Cowdog leads a motley crew of West Texas ranch characters through a series of hilarious adventures. When he's not patrolling the ranch, he spends his time soaking in Emerald Pond (the septic tank) or sleeping on his gunny sack bed under the gas tank. Here, from the very first Hank story ever, Hank tells readers how he thinks of himself and his job:
"When I took this job as Head of Ranch Security, I knew that I was only flesh and blood, four legs, a tail, a couple of ears, a pretty nice kind of nose that the women really go for, two bushels of hair and another half-bushel of Mexican sandburs.You add that all up and you don't get Superman, just me, good old easy-going Hank who works hard, tries to do his job, and gets very little cooperation from anyone else around here."

My Son Has Enjoyed...

Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Guys Write for Guys Read
Wayside School series

You might also consider the Time Warp Trio book series; it has a quasi-educational bent, since the boys of the title travel to (and learn about) important historical events, but it's still funny and written specifically with boys in mind.

Tales Of A 4th Grade Nothing

Hi, Spark! :)

My son also read Tales Of A 4th Grade Nothing, but didn't like it as much as the others I mentioned. I think that maybe since he's an older brother with a little, sometimes annoying sibling, it bothered him a lot that the little brother kept getting away with everything and the older one kept getting blamed. (spoiler)

And when the little brother swallowed the older one's beloved turtle, well...I think it was all over for my son after that. He won't even consider reading Superfudge or anything else in that series.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Whales on Stilts. Wonderful book. I'm sure the guy has written other stuff too.

I've been to Astrid's apartment/home in Stockholm.

Whales on Stilts

Depending on your child's humor, they may like "Whales on Stilts" which is for reading levels approximately ages 9-12. Here is the review ReadingJungle.com wrote for this book:

"Whales on Stilts is a hilarious, laugh-out loud, and silly tale about three friends who set out to defeat a mad scientist's plot to destroy the world by unleashing crazed stilt-walking whales with laser-beam eyes! Can the trio save the day?

This straight forward plot is somewhat predictable, yet the over-the-top and outrageous humor keeps the pages turning! Some may find the quirky wittiness to be confusing and hard to interpret, yet others will love every comical and kooky remark. For this reason, we do not believe this book is for everyone. However, if zany ridiculous characters, plots, and references is your type of comedy...then this book is for you!

Full of superb black and white illustrations, nutty side notes to the reader, wacky essay questions, and an author interview, Whales on Stilts is a great book for parents and kids to read together for quality family time. Recommended for those looking for an unconventional and slapstick story!"

Wow, I had forgotten about the Adrian Mole books! I also loved the Judy Blume books when I was young. I TOTALLY agree with the Roald Dahl postings, what a brilliant man he was! Matilda is great, so is Danny Champion of the World, and all his others. I too love Carl Hiaasen...you should check out his adult books, they are fantastic.
The Harry Potters are very funny IMO, as is the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. Try to find some stuff by Stephen Manes, especially a book called The Obnoxious Jerks, which is EXACTLY what you are looking for. The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer would also be a good choice.

Back