• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions needed?

Sharkgirl

This weekend I am going to the Mecca for second-hand bookshops and bookshops at a mega-discount (it's in a little town called Hay-on-Wye in Wales) and I really need some suggestions on what to look for.

First, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good novel for my friend who has been looking for something on the rivalry between magicians.

I am looking for fiction that will either have me scared to death-like 'Naomi's Room' by jonathan aycliffe, grossed out (but tasteful)-like 'Kiss the Girls' or make me go, 'Oh wow, that was really lovely'- like 'Life of Pi' did. Hehe. The only thing I really don't get into is Romance novels or things that lose me with technical jargin.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
-KT

Rivarlry between Magicians:
Hmmm...How about rivalry between Gods and Magicians. The best one I know of the The Legends Trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Although you really need to start out with The Chonicles Trilogy by Weis and Hickman First. Basically the main magician Raistlin tried to become a God by killing all the other Gods of this world in the Legends Trilogy...it's pretty good.

A Great Scare you to Death book is Hell House by Richard Matheson. I'll have to check out Naomi's Room because I love books that make you jump while your reading it when an unexpected noise happens. Someone knocked on my door while I was reading Hell House and I screamed! I must have given my poor visitor a heart attack! lol

I'm afraid I can't help you with the magician vs. magician idea or anything scary. That kind of suspense really isn't my cup of tea. But, if you are looking for something from the third category, I'll suggest Little, Big by John Crowley.

Another Matheson classic is I Am Legend. It's the story of the last human when the world is populated by vampires. And you can imagine what his nights are like.......

Back