• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: September 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

Suggestions for September 2004.

This thread will close on 7th August to allow time for voting.

Still want to read Breakfast at Tiffany's for Sept 2004. Easy to read, make more people to read it and make their comments on it.

Questions about process

Hi Darren,

Thanks for this site. I'm pretty new here and would like to participate in one or more monthly readings. I assume these are for discussion, but I haven't seen an ongoing discussion of a current book. Is there one?

I gather the current selection is A Suitable Boy. Given the length of that, maybe whomever is reading it does need another month? Do you know who is reading it and how far they have gotten?

Regarding the "theme" months, is this merely a suggested theme? Is there already a consensus on fiction v. nonfiction?

Ideally, I guess one would want to pick a book than many people are enthusiastic about reading, which leads me to believe the "bought but not read yet" thread would have some ideas?

Anyway, before making any suggestions, I would like a more general idea of people's preferences re classics/new works; favorite authors; book length (important to consider, I think), and other general preferences.

Can anyone chime in here with some thoughts? Is there a general interest in a shared discussion/reading, or not?

I would hate to agree on a book based on one person's rec, read it, and come to the board to find that nobody else was interested.

I get the feeling there is a lot of "my book or I'm out" in the present suggestions.

BTW, it's Truman Capote (kah-poh-tee).

Thanks,

Novella

Hi, the current book's discussion thread is here.

Up until now, the process of deciding which book to read has been hit and miss. The idea of this new subforum is that it will allow for a suggestions and voting system to decide which book to read. The theme months were brought in as a bit of interest.

People submit titles for a particular month (fiction or non-fiction, as long as the book is in paperback and in print). Two months before the month in question, suggestions close and we start a vote on the five most popular suggestions. One month prior to the month in question the vote closes and the book is chosen (this gives people enough time to source the book and to get a head start on reading it if they want to).

September and October are going to be a bit rushed so that we can make the decisions quickly and get things started.

Darren.

Thanks for the quick reply, Darren. I'll give this some thought and hope to participate.

Novella

This may be a book that quite a few people have read before but I'd like to suggest Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.

Bernard,
Though I've reread that recently (last year) I think it's an interesting choice for discussion, particularly given its pronounced reputation.

I'm also interested in The Crow Road. Never read any Iain Banks. I understand this is a departure from his SF works. Any opinions on this? Is it worth it?

Novella

Bernard said:
This may be a book that quite a few people have read before but I'd like to suggest Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.

There's already a thread on Catcher in the Rye, so there wouldn't really be a point to another one.

Darren, should the "Books of the Month" all be novels or can we nominate comics or non-fiction as well?

lies said:
Darren, should the "Books of the Month" all be novels or can we nominate comics or non-fiction as well?
Anything currently in print. Graphic novels and non-fiction are fine.

I suggest Pegasus Bridge by Stephen Ambrose. Come on people lets read in a different genre, and just mabey learn something!!!!!

I tought about being the tiebreaker, since everyone has voted for something different. But I'd like to add my suggestion as well. The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas.

RaVeN

Summary:

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho
Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Crow Road by Iain Banks
Emporer: The Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
Pegasus Bridge by Stephen Ambrose
My Life by Bill Clinton
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray

I'll now close this suggestions thread and open up a poll for people to vote for one of the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back