• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sword of Truth book 7

Mark4583

Ive read the first 6 books in this series and they seem to get less and less interesting.
Anyone read the last 2 books in this series by Terry Goodkind?

It's still got life

I've read all the ones that are available, up to Naked Empire. I still really enjoy them, although I will admit they've changed a lot since the first one. I am starting to get a little weary of the whole 'Kahlan and Richard get separated (again)' storyline. It would also be nice to see a conclusion in sight, although apparently there is (see below).

I've found that the best fantasy books have a start, middle and end. I had this same issue with the Wheel of Time series. It just draaaaaged on. I know many people enjoyed it, but for me it wasn't the best. Unfortunately Terry Goodkind appears to be dragging the middle out a little at this stage.

My recommendation would be that if you're starting to tire of them now, don't read any more until the series is concluded. Chainfire has just been released, and is supposed to be "the first volume in ... Terry Goodkind's Chainfire trilogy that concludes THE SWORD OF TRUTH series". Although how the 'trilogy' differs from the 'series' is beyond me - marketting, perhaps?

I still think this series has a lot of worth, and I'm looking forward to it reaching it's conclusion and those two love-sick fools finally resting in the same place at the same time forever.

Chainfire

I just finished Chainfire, it was a let down. Up till now I've enjoyed all of the books, some more than others. But, this the first one that was a disapointment. Hopefully it's a buildup for a spectacular finish otherwise….it just wasn’t worth picking up. It's definitly time to conclude the series if this what its come to. But untill now it been a great series, well worth the read.

Silk said:
I just finished Chainfire, it was a let down. Up till now I've enjoyed all of the books, some more than others. But, this the first one that was a disapointment. Hopefully it's a buildup for a spectacular finish otherwise….it just wasn’t worth picking up. It's definitly time to conclude the series if this what its come to. But untill now it been a great series, well worth the read.

Silk... one of my favorite characters in the Belgariad! But then, there are so many to choose from.

I think I left off at about the same spot as Mark4583. I do enjoy the books, but there's a whole heck of a lot of other authors and series out there that are just as good. Or maybe we need Goodkind and Jordan to move on and write new stories.

Sell Sword said:
I think I left off at about the same spot as Mark4583. I do enjoy the books, but there's a whole heck of a lot of other authors and series out there that are just as good. Or maybe we need Goodkind and Jordan to move on and write new stories.

Amen, brother. There's only so long that an author should string their readers along. I think Harry Potter has a good marketting ploy. You *know* there'll be 7 books. But when you're blindly reading a series with no end in sight it's easy to get annoyed by it. One of my favorite books as a kid was Obernewtyn, by Isobelle Carmody. It was a series, but the books were so long in each one coming out. Here's their release dates:

1. Obernewtyn (1987)
2. The Farseekers (1990)
3. Ashling (1995)
4. The Keeping Place (1999)
5. The Sending (rumored for release Oct 2005)

Nearly 20 years on one series!! I still don't know if that's the last one. I met her when she visited my high school back around 1994. When asked why it was taking her so long to complete the series she said that she got bored easily and wanted to write other things (and she has written many other books), and wanted to ensure that the Obernewtyn books did not get stale as a result of her being frustrated with it.

Do authors who start series' have an obligation to their fans to ensure that a story is completed in a timely fashion? I don't really think so, but I also don't think that it's a good way to keep an audience. As much as I did enjoy Isobelle Carmody, it's just too frustrating to read her series.

Sorry, I've strayed away from the topic a little. Maybe this should be a new thread...

if they get seperated one MORE time im going to .... oh yeah i already did stop reading his books.

use to not be able to wait for the hard back thaty was around wizards 12 rule now i think i wait for pb.

Back