• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tamora Pierce: Alanna

Alicia

My teenaged sons loved this series, and convinced me to read it too... and it was GREAT!

From amazon.com...
Call it fate, call it intuition, or just call it common sense, but somehow young Alanna knows she isn't meant to become some proper lady cloistered in a convent. Instead, she wants to be a great warrior maiden--a female knight. But in the land of Tortall, women aren't allowed to train as warriors. So Alanna finds a way to switch places with her twin, Thom, and take his place as a knight in training at the palace of King Roald. Disguising herself as a boy, Alanna begins her training as a page in the royal court. Soon, she is garnering the admiration of all around her, including the crown prince, with her strong work ethic and her thirst for knowledge. But all the while, she is haunted by the recurring vision of a black stone city that emanates evil... somehow she knows it is her fate to purge that place of its wickedness. But how will she find it? And can she fulfill her destiny while keeping her gender a secret?

Tamora Pierce's books

I love Tamora Pierce's books! I actually like these series more:
--Wild Magic - about a girl with a special bond with animals, and the adventures as she meets the people from Alanna's books.
--Protector of the Small - about a girl who becomes a knight - that follows Alanna and Diane's books.
--The Circle of Magic - about four kids with different and very strong magics - how they were found and their discovery of magic and adventures.
--The Circle Opens - the next series, of them traveling and their adventures then.
I really enjoy them and reread them often. Hope you'd like them too!

As I recall, at first he seemed too old for her, but her experiences made her end up more mature than him, until the final battle when they finally both came into their own.

I really enjoyed the Tamora Pierce books, especially the Wild Magic quartet.

elusivefaerie said:
What do you guys think about the relationship between Alanna and the Prince?
I agree with Alicia on this one. At first I thought that they were a little mismatched, but the battle at the end really showed that they were equals and a great pair, regardless of age or status.

MonkeyCatcher

Back