• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Teen Fiction

crazy4pandas123

I am a teenager and I would like to know of some books that people have read that would be interesting to a teenager. I enjoy mystery, thriller, and romance books.

Well, I've heard that Stephenie Meyer's Twilight books are supposed to be great although I've never actually read them. Have you ever tried Meg Cabot? She is the author of the Princess Diaries (my guilty pleasure) and those are actually pretty cute and funny.
You say you like mystery and thriller, but how do you feel about supernatural mixed in with that? I love the Mediator series. From amazon: "The inaugural installment of The Mediator series introduces high school sophomore Suze, who, in her words, has "this unfortunate ability to communicate with the dead." As a "mediator," the girl helps ghosts put unresolved issues to rest so they can move on to the next world." It's also got romance as she ends up with a crush on the ghost who lives in her bedroom.
I'm trying to think of things that would fit just your preferences listed, but if you do like books with a supernatural or fantasy element then the following might work.
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

Midnighters Trilogy
-Science fiction/supernatural; Some romance and mystery; Definitely thriller- I was on the edge of my seat so many times during these books.

Also, one I just thought of is Waves by Sharon Dogar. It's not one of my favorites, but it's got a lot of mystery and romance as well as other themes.
"Grade 8 Up–I'm in a cupboard. A dark cupboard, and it's too small for me. The walls press against my flesh….Through a chink of light where the door is barely open, I think I can hear voices. So many voices. Help me! These are the unspoken words of Hal's sister Charley, lying in a coma ever since the previous summer's late-night surfing accident on a Cornwall beach. Now it is July once again and Hal's family is off to Brackinton Haven for their annual holiday, leaving Charley behind for the first time. Torn between his anger at his sister for devastating the family and his desire to discover exactly what happened, Hal hears her voice more and more often. As he gets to know the surfer crowd that Charley hung out with and begins a romance with the younger sister of Charley's boyfriend, Hal slowly begins to unravel the mystery. Told in a series of episodes with headings such as Charley. Then, Charley. Hospital. Now, and Hal. Graveyard. Now, the narrative skillfully shifts in time and point of view. Readers of Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones (Little, Brown, 2002) and Peter Dickinson's Eva (Delacorte, 1989) will be intrigued by Dogar's exploration of such questions as: Where exactly is a person when she no longer inhabits her earthly body? Can she communicate with those she has left behind? Both suspenseful and thoughtful, action packed and atmospheric, this novel is compelling and memorable"

Robin McKinley's Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword combine a bit of romance, fantasy, and action. They are a couple of my favorites, that you might enjoy. You might want to look into her other books, as well.

You might also enjoy E.D. Baker's The Frog Princess books. I know my students enjoy them.

Also, you might want to try Terry Pratchett's The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, and Wintersmith. These are fantasy, but include some action bits.

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer is an excellent book. I'm not the type to read romances, even gothic/fantasy romance, but this book is really captivating. I also suggest the Pendragon Series by D.J. McHale and the Forbidden Game Trilogy by L.J. Smith! Hope I helped!

I've read Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series, and I consider it to be one of my biggest guilty pleasures. They're hugely entertaining books, but I don't think that they're particularly original or well-written.

I recommend Forever by Judy Blume (you may have already read this, but it's such a great book about first love and growing up, I had to mention it).

The Queen of Everything by Deb Caletti is another good read. The characters in the book are intriguing, slightly mysterious, but also seem realistic.

Anything written by Sarah Dessen is good if you're looking for some romance that's done in a smart way. She's a pretty strong writer.

Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty (and the subsequent sequels, Second Helpings, Charmed Thirds, and Fourth Comings) is one of my favorite books of all time. The narrator, a teenage girl named Jessica Darling, is smart, funny, flawed, and incredibly real. They're fun books about high school, crushes, friends, and growing up (the third and fourth books take place in college, but the first two are firmly entrenched in the high school world. I highly recommend these books.

Hope this gives you (or anyone else looking) some ideas.

I would recommend The Perks of Being Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

I read this when I was in highschool and found it to be one of the best books i've ever read. To this day it is still one of the best books ive read.

Pirates! by Celia Rees - I think this was kind of romantic/adventure.
Then there was The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare, historical fiction that was very well written.
And I think I had recommended this book before: The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak.

New YA mystery series

My new book is the first of a YA mystery series called Byron Carmichael Book One: The human corpse trade. Based on your interests, I think you may enjoy it. Samples will soon be up on google book search, but feel free to send me a message if you would like to know more.

J. Eric King
carmichaelink.blogspot.com

Set in rural North Carolina, right in the middle of the “bible-belt” region, “The Unspoken” has a ring of truth to it. Six teenagers are brought back together five years after surviving a fire that destroyed the religious compound they lived in … as well as all the adults that lived there. The six young adults are now afraid a prophecy that foretold their deaths is coming true. Thomas Fahy has written this book on a 12 year old and up level but it is very readable and entertaining for adults as well. The story also relays a serious message to our young people today… extreme religious fantasists that exert total control over people’s lives are dangerous and should be avoided at all costs.

mystery, thriller and romance? Hmm.

Ever read the Thief, Queen of Attolia and King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner? They pretty much encompass all of those elements. I love them to pieces. They're soooo good. :)

Sarah Dessen is a very good writer of teenage romance and drama - you can really empathise with her characters. The Truth About Forever was the first one I read and I enjoyed it a lot.

Celia Rees's book Pirates is very good, thriller and romance and all that jazz.

The Gift by Alison Croggon? Very good, some scenes very Lord-of-the-Ringsy, but very good all the same.

Stephanie Meyer's books are good, but they do drag on a little - she can't write very concisely.

Pendragon!!! Awesome books, any teen should love them :D And they fit romance, thriller and mystery perfectly.

Don't read Christopher Paolini's books if you're looking for originality. If you're looking for a cross between star wars and LOTR then go ahead and read it, but don't mind all the drivel in the second book about religion and ethics and whatnot.

I would definitely recommend Stephenie Meyer's twilight, it is amazing.

I also recommend Skullduggery Pleasant, it is a thriller and mystery.I read it in 2 days, it was so captivating.

Twilight Series.

The later books in the Alice series, and if you don't mind the youngness the earlier ones. They are by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor.

Everything Meg Cabot.

Enders Game if you feel advanced. (I read it at twelve, shouldn't be difficult)

And Sometimes Why is a AMAZING book. Hard to find though. Google it. I forget the author.

Judy Blume stuff is good, and if you've read it already, there is a lovely non fiction book out of essays about it. Recommend to anyone who's a Judy Blume fan. I believe it's called "Everything I needed to know about being a girl I learned from Judy Blume". Many different authors.

The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm by Nancy Farmer. And if you can stomach it, A Girl Named Disaster. (same author)

I definitely recommend Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series. I'm reading her first novel for adults right now... it's actually really good! The themes are more complex than the Twilight series, but it's just as entertaining.

I am a teenager and I would like to know of some books that people have read that would be interesting to a teenager. I enjoy mystery, thriller, and romance books.

im also a teen like you. I liked the Frog Princess books (fantasy, romance, adventure) , Diary of a Crush (romance), oh and the Girl, 15.... (by:Sue LImb). These were some good ones! Hope you enjoy!

I have a few more to recomend :
Everything by Meg Cabbot (thats not the title - Meg is the author)
How I survived being a girl - Wendelin Van Draanen
the Alice books
Harry Potter

Im just about to read the Gossip Girls books

HPRox:)

I recommend the Private series by Kate Brian- it's a teen fiction series and therefore has a lot of romance, with mystery mixed it. I'm 23 years old and I read them each in a day, I *cannot* put them down.

Back