• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Teen Magazines

Vespertilio91 said:
Yeah, but I think most teen girls (no offense to anyone here) often assume and are gullible enough to believe that they have to look like the girls on the front cover. Normally, teenagers don't have enough of an attention span to read all the articles and instead just assume their entire belief system off a couple of words on a page. And incidentally, those words are most often ones that do not encourage them.
I completely agree, and it's such a shame. I believe though, that Seventeen is taking a nice leap in the right direction. They feature women of all shapes an sizes when modeling clothing. They have many articles on the normal feminine things like makeup and fashion, but then they have some very interesting and shocking real life stories. They have a nutrition section and they have a college section. Seventeen is probably the only girl magazine I can actually read because it's pretty easy to sift through all the "girly" things and find what really matters.

I recently decided not to renew my subscription to Teen People because they stopped printing "real-life" articles so much. It was all about make-up, fashion, and celebrities. I don't like any of the celebrities they feature, and it's not the kind of make-up and fashion I like.

But I'm still not sure teen magazines promote low self-esteem. If someone felt horrible about themselves every time they read one, they wouldn't read them anymore, and the majority of the girls at my school have them out during every class period.

I think what DOES promote low self-esteem is TV commercials. There you have stick-thin actresses, thinner than any of the girls I know in real life, saying that they need to go on diets. What is that supposed to tell someone who is a perfectly healthy size ten?

i think teen magazines make a good knowledge for the kids to explore their talents.some of the books have puzzles .the puzzles can be technical also.it all improve the bets in the teens.

Now this is an old thread. Brings back lots of memories! I agree with most of the opinions stated above. It's sad to see the world hasn't changed in the last 3 years.

Back