• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Teenager blamed for killing his deaf and/or mute sister

oregonjade

I found this once before on my own, but now I'm coming up with nothing. And it's not in my saved lists of books.

This was a book that turned into a series... not a formal, numbered one, but it definitely had sequels. Three or four books.

Teenage boy and his sister ended up with the boy supporting her, and they were staying in something like an abandoned warehouse. Don't remember exactly how they ended up there, but I believe it was due to deaths of the parents, and then perhaps the relatives they went to, didn't want to care for them.

When the boy is out looking for work, the sister is murdered. The boy ends up staying at the detective's house... the detective believes in his innocence, his wife does not. He's enrolled in high school, and is on a track or cross country team. The coach hates him, if I remember right.

At the end of the book, or in one of the later ones, it's determined that the sister was murdered by a bum who came across her. There's something about a stuffed animal--- the bum knows about it, and the police had kept that info back, so they knew it was him.

The first two books were thin, perhaps half inch, and in the regular paperback format. The editions I read were probably published by Scholastic.

The character's names might be something along the lines of Matt and Katie...

OK, fussed at it enough tonight I finally found it. Not sure why I couldn't get it to come up anywhere with the name Matt, but happened to try Matthew and scored.

Author is Frances Miller. Books are: The Truth Trap, Aren't You The One Who...?, Losers and Winners, and Cutting Loose.

From the descriptions and the photos I found, I had the first three books.

They're good books.

Back