• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Teenager looking something to read.

chillinrod

I am 18 years old and i would like to start reading a lot.
I just would like some suggestions of books that i can read.

Wich are for you the books that must be read in order to have a minimum of general culture?

ALSO, i love science fiction like THE FOUNDATION of isaac asimov. I am now reading THE DA VINCI CODE, and i am just passioned about it. Do you know other books of the same type that i can read?

Many thanks for your help. :)

You may want to try The Club Dumas or The Shadow of the Wind. Both were quite good and would appeal to men as much as women. If you've got a lot of ambition try Foucault's Pendulum. It's a long book, but addresses some of the same things as The Da Vinci Code with much better writing.

bobbyburns said:
what the hell is a chillinrod?

I believe that Rod is trying to tell us he's Chillin...

Reading Material

I'm not huge into SciFi, but I really enjoyed "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury. If you liked "Foundation", though, you might also like the epic "Dune" by Brian Herbert. This one is a trilogy, and could keep you busy all summer!

Please find something, and read, read, read! I think it is awesome that, at your age, you are so actively looking for things to read!

To answer the "culture" thing, obviously, the classics like "Moby Dick" and "Of Mice and Men" are good foundations to have. Many will say that Thomas Wolfe is one of the great American writers, and I won't disagree with that, but, I must say, his is not the easiest writing to read. (possibly a statement of my intellect?)

Good luck, and I hope you find something you like! (Anything by Asimov should be good.)

chillinrod said:
Wich are for you the books that must be read in order to have a minimum of general culture?
The following are some must reads in the science fiction category:
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Time Machine by H. G. Wells
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Try The Ender saga by Orson scott card, Hyperion by Dan simmons, Prey by Michael Crichton, War Of The Worlds by H.G. Wells and most importantly The Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams. If you liked the Da Vinci Code, try Rule Of Four, It was dubbed "The Da Vinci Code for people with brains"

Thanks everyone for the ideas, i think now i´ll be busy for the rest of the year. LOL

If you ever know about anohter great book, odnt hesitate and post it here.

AND for those interested, CHILLINROD= me(ROD) chillin

Back