• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tell me what you think so far... really need input here people!!!

*~EMMER~*

im writing this in my spare time when im not at school and i need people input to help me improve this section of the first chapter. please please post ur ideas.

Arica stumbled through the woods as sobs shook her body. The enclosed trees tried to trip her with thorns and brambles as she continued to run from her home. Scars and cuts covered her bare arms and legs, and her torn clothes were dirtied from her night alone in the forest. She glanced up, wiping her eyes on the back of her hand. She was vaguely pretty for a fourteen year old. Her purple eyes shone with tears and her cheeks were red from the outpour of emotion. Long brown hair cascaded down her shoulders. Her dress, had it not been torn and frayed, was that of a bride.
She gazed down into the valley, which lay before her. To many people it would seem much like a valley of death. A few scarce trees were all she could see in the shadow of the Stoclin Mountains, which ran down the side of the desert. The mountains where well known in her town, though not for anything good. Any tales that came from the Stoclin mountains usually told of pain and suffering. The mountains concealed hidden caves and no one from her village would dare cross the desert for fear of the legendary monsters, which haunted it. Arica was no fool though. She had never believed in the ghosts and ghouls who terrified the people of Acmil, and to her the desert was her sanctuary, a place where she could hide forever.
She clambered down the dusty paths, which lead her through the foothills of Stoclin into the base of the mountains. She stumbled past a boulder and soon found her mistake. A flock of birds circled a bloody carcass upon the ground. Each bird was three times the size of any of the huts in her village, with huge talons that were covered with shining red blood. She froze. Her heart pounding in her chest as slowly backed away. None had seen her, yet she dared not hope they wouldn’t. Carefully she tiptoed backwards, her eyes wide with fear. A loud crack echoed through the valley. She glanced down. Her foot stood upon the remains of a dry twig. Every eye was on her now, glistening as red as the blood on their beaks and talons. Nothing moved. The hot wind drove through her hair as she stood, frozen to the floor. She cursed inwardly to herself. She had been so foolish. If only she hadn’t left her village, her uncle, her groom, her friends. None knew where she had gone; she highly doubted that any would follow her into the great forest that ran alongside the town. Yet even if they had, she knew they would not find any remains any more. For the carcass had now been stripped to the bone by its hunters, and yet each bird looked as scrawny as an old horse. Yes, her uncle would find no remains except two human carcasses in the valley mouth. Silently, the huge birds spread their wings, and soared into the sky. He consciousness screamed at her ‘Run, Run you fool!’ but her legs wouldn’t obey her mind and she swayed, her feet clamped to the dust. A shriek rang through the valley as one of the birds dived towards her, croaking like a wild spirit torn from its resting place. Its huge talons deadly and sharp, glistening in the glaring sun. Like a broken spell her feet were freed and she backed away stumbling, her eyes never leaving the bird that plummeted towards her. But the way was blocked. The huge boulder that had hidden her enemy from sight earlier now blocked her only chance of escape. Terrified, she stared as the monster rushed towards her, its speed never relenting. A hand grasped hers, pulling her away from the danger. She was dragged, half running, half skidding after her rescuer. She looked back and watched as the rock by which she had been cowering was smashed into pieces as the bird dashed straight into it. Her pulse racing, she stumbled blindly after the boy, guided only by his firm grip through the dust of the plains. They dashed past the few trees and were almost at the mountains edge when a searing pain lashed through her body. She screamed as agony blasted through her body, falling to her knees. She swayed, struggling to stay conscious. Helplessly she fell sideways onto the dry sand struggling for breath. A large shadow fell over her. Realising it was one of the many gigantic birds she cried out with all the air she had left in her lungs. Cowering on the floor she fought with the overwhelming sense of unconsciousness as the shadow grew upon her. With a blinding light, the shadow drew away and she was lifted up as she finally lost consciousness.

Nice

I would love to comment further about your writing but I'm not really one to crtique. I did however find that it was interesting and well put together. I do find that you may as they always tell me here need to let your character tell the story. I'm thinking that maybe her accounts of being lost in the woods would flow better in first person POV? Just a thought again don't take my work for it.

Thanks for leaving me a message. im glad you found it interesting. As to your idea about putting it first person. I can't really do that because later on in the book, i meet more characters, and i want to express their feelings aswell as aricas. i just really want to know if you feel as though you know the character and care about what happens to her?? if anyone else can give me any hints i'd be really really happy to hear them.
*~EMMER~*

This piece of writing did capture my interest, and I wanted to see what happened next, so well done. :)

The first point I'll make is that having to read through such a large chunk of densely-packed text was quite difficult on the eyes - I presume you would normally use paragraphs in your writing, but haven't here due to some other reason?

She was vaguely pretty for a fourteen year old.

This doesn't really mean anything to the reader, so is it necessary?

Her purple eyes shone with tears and her cheeks were red from the outpour of emotion. Long brown hair cascaded down her shoulders. Her dress, had it not been torn and frayed, was that of a bride.

Instead of putting this in all together, where it comes across almost as a kind of list, maybe you could space it throughout your writing more subtly? For example, have the branches tangling in her long brown hair as she dodges through the trees (I know that's not a great example - what I'm trying to say is incorporate the description into your writing instead of having it as a separate chunk of info).

Her heart pounding in her chest as slowly backed away.

There seems to be a mixture of tenses and/or a missing word here. Consider "Her heart pounded in her chest as she slowly backed away".

None had seen her, yet she dared not hope they wouldn’t.

I found this sentence rather difficult to work out - it sounds very strange and awkward!

Carefully she tiptoed backwards, her eyes wide with fear. A loud crack echoed through the valley. She glanced down. Her foot stood upon the remains of a dry twig. Every eye was on her now, glistening as red as the blood on their beaks and talons. Nothing moved. The hot wind drove through her hair as she stood, frozen to the floor.

A nice build-up of tension here.

Like a broken spell her feet were freed

I liked that.

Well, those were some of my opinions. :) Please bear in mind I am not a published writer and don't necessarily know what I'm talking about, but I liked your writing and hope you will continue with this story. :)

thanks anymore?

Thanks for your input Halo!!

Im glad you wanted to know what happened to her, i always think theres no point reading something unless u want to know what happens.

I have to admit honestly here that i totally forgot about my paragraph :S sorry if it hurt your eyes.

i didnt realise that i listed everything so much until you pointed it out to me. i read through the rest of my chapter and its all listed!! something i have to change there. it's like reading a shopping list!
Quote:
Her heart pounding in her chest as slowly backed away.

There seems to be a mixture of tenses and/or a missing word here. Consider "Her heart pounded in her chest as she slowly backed away".

sorry about that. seemd to have missed out a word. it should say 'her heart WAS pounding in her chest as she slowly backed away.' does that make more sense now??

anymore replies??? good or bad i really dont mind

byee
emmer

Emmer,

I started out loathing the length, and lack of paragraphs, but ended up being drawn in.

Nice job.

One thing I would recommend throughout your writing is to avoid cliches. My rule of thumb is that I try to describe things in a way in which they have never been described before! not always possible, but it helps avoid cliches.

You have some style quirks that I think hold back you writing a little:

You use phrases like "ran alongside" and "down the side of" where some better description might make a more interesting read. I am a new member here, and I am resisting the urge to give examples, because I don't want to come across as arrogant or narrow minded, but you need to investigate some more creative and interesting ways to describe things. By some of your descriptions here, I think it is just a matter of putting a little more thought into it.

I love the mood you have created here. I love the suspense and tension you create when Arica meets the bird-things.

You describe the birds as "three times the size of..." any hut in her village, I think, but this doesn't tell us anything, because we don't know how big the huts in her village are. As creative as you obviously are, you can certainly think of a better way to project a sense of voluminous size to the reader, other than by comparison to Arica's hut.

You also say, in the beginning, that her long brown hair cascaded down her shoulders.

Aside from my dislike of that sort of prepositional phrase (down her shoulders), this sentence doesn't give us anything. Okay, she had long brown hair. Of course it cascaded down her shoulders, that's what long brown hair does! :) I would put more effort into this description. You also say she was pretty "for a 14-year old". Are 14-year olds typically ugly? Saying this makes it sound as if it were written by a 15-year old. (Which it was, as I just found out, but you should avoid comparative compliments like this). I think you can come up with a better way to state her beauty, and her age, if those are your intentions.

"Yes, her uncle would find no remains except two human carcasses in the valley mouth. " This sentence confused me.

Overall, I think this is a good piece of work. I would like to read the rest of it!

Good luck, and please keep writing!

Back