• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Terry Pratchett

martinj73

I have read 4 fantasy books by Terry Pratchett and I loved them all. They completely took me into a different world where trunks run on small little legs and where Death, the Grim Reaper slashes out victims with the curved blade when death takes another one.

The four books I read are:
> Mort
> Light Fantastic
> Lords and Ladies
> Colour of Magic

All four of them are stimulating and captivating. I most certainly will reread the books again when I have read my collection of unread books. At the 20 page a time reading rate, it will be sooner than later. Much sooner!!!

Are there any other Terry Pratchet fans out there? What books of his have you read and what do you think of them?

All the best to Terry Pratchett and I hope he keeps reeling out the new fantasy books that just seems to stimulate the imagination on new themes.

I have read nearly all of Terry Pratchett's books and enjoyed them immensely, especially the Discworld series :p My favorite character is Death, gotta dig that SPEAKING IN CAPITALS :)

Phil

I've read all the Discworld series except the most recent, Monstrous Regiment, because I'm too stingy to buy hardbacks. I love these books! My favourites are Mort (the first one I read, though number four in the series), Pyramids, Interesting Times and all the City Watch books. In the "Favourite Discworld Character" thread, I said DEATH was my fave, but I've now changed my mind and gone for Vimes, especially in his exchanges with Vetinari - brilliant. I've posted a review of Night Watch on this site and I'm going to try and do some more when I get chance (however, continually writing "This book is excellent" might become a bit tedious. :D )

I like Pratchett too. So far I've read The Color of Magic, Mort (probably my favorite -- I like what he's done with Death), Eric, The Truth, and Feet of Clay.

I am trying to get through the Discworld Series at the moment. My favourite character (if you can call it that) is The Luggage - a great creation.
I particularly liked Small Gods - very clever.

I love terry pratchett his discworld series is amazing.My favourite character is commander vimes.I especially like the ones with the watch in them.I have read:
Interesting times(my first)
The light fantastic
The colour of magic
The last continent
Reaper man
Soul music
Mort
The fifth elephant(one of my fav's)
Nightwatch
Men at arms
Last hero
Lords and ladies
Witches abroad
Equal rites
I must say i did find the ones with rincewind in least appealling but still enjoyable.Pratchett is sooo funny i've actually reread most of his discworld novels because whenever i go to the library to check out a book that i've not read before(not many of those left i'm afraid) it's never there and i'm far too cheap to by them all.Because of pratchett i've rediscoverd my love of books.I love it!

I like Cohen the Barbarian. Just the idea of an old swordsman running around trying to get in fights and win young hot chicks is hilarious.

Small Gods was easily one of my favorites, although it didn't feature any of the recurring characters. Of the ones that feature a recurring character set (i.e., Witches of Lancre, Rincewind & Luggage, Death, City Watch, etc.), I think the City Watch books are my favorite. I bought Night Watch the day it came out, I like them so much (usually I'm a paperback guy all the way).

One of my favorite up-and-coming characters is Susan. She reminds me of Wednesday Addams, but grown up. I'm looking forward to seeing more of what she's getting up to.

My local gaming store has an original Paul Kidby illustration hanging on the wall, one of his pencil sketches of Death. A steal at only $1,500.

His best book, in my opinion, is one that was co-written by Neil Gaiman called Good Omens. It appealed to me a lot more than any of the diskworld novels.

I love Terry Pratchett. I've read nearly all the Discworld novels but I'm not really interested in his other books.

I own quite a few and the rest I borrowed from the library when I was in highschool. I think his latest books are among his best.

I abosolutely love his books about Discworld (I'm told I have to read Good Omens), he reminds a lot of Douglas Adams only with fantasy instead of Sci-Fi. Anyone else think that his favorite charecter is Death?

Minacolada said:
I abosolutely love his books about Discworld (I'm told I have to read Good Omens), he reminds a lot of Douglas Adams only with fantasy instead of Sci-Fi. Anyone else think that his favorite charecter is Death?

I love his stuff as well, and Death does seem to be one of his favs. You have got to read Good Omens, it's just laugh out loud funny, I know there are lots of Pratchett's books like this but the story in Good Omens is great, it's a book I would read a few times :)

The Terry Pratchett books that I have read are, in no particular order:

Interesting Times
Mort
Sourcery
Equal Rites
The Color Of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Monstrous Regiment
Going Postal
Pyramids
Witches Abroad
Night Watch
Hat Full Of Sky (The Wee Free Men)
Guards, Guards
Soul Music
Thief Of Time

I am currently reading Wyrd Sisters.
A book that I have purchased but not read yet is The Last Hero.

There may be a few other of Pratchett's books that I read but got from the library and have overlooked on my list.

The only Prachett book that I have ever read is half of The Colour of Magic. I've tried reading it twice now, but both times I was stopped halfway by the appearance of another book that I really wanted to read. I found The Colour of Magic to be extremely enjoyable, and plan on reading it in the near future because of all the good things that I have heard about his Discworld series.

Monkeycatcher, may I recommend "Going Postal' by Terry Pratchett. It is not one of the Discworld books but nevertheless is a very good book.

muggle said:
Monkeycatcher, may I recommend "Going Postal' by Terry Pratchett. It is not one of the Discworld books but nevertheless is a very good book.
Thanks for the recommendation :) Many of my friends have suggested both this and Guards, Guards so I think that I may try these before getting into TCOM again. Maybe I'll be able to finish one this time :eek:

muggle said:

Muggle, I would say that Going Postal is one of the Discworld series. Vetinari is one of the main characters, and it's set in Ankh-Morpork. It has become my favourite Pratchett novel, even beating the Sam Vimes ones, it's that good. An excellent novel - read it as soon as you can, MC! (Incidentally, The Colour of Magic is not one of my faves, or one of the best, IMO.)

Halo, you are correct. Going Postal is most certainly one of the Discworld books. It is one of my favorites by Pratchett and unfortunately one that I read through the library and therefore do not have a copy of it as I do with most of his that I have read. I just discovered another of Pratchett's books that I have read but do not have on my previous list of books read.........Reaper Man.

Back