• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

'The Backwoods' by Edward Lee

lenny nero

This is the story of Patricia, a high powered DC lawyer, who returns to the backwater hick town, on the coast of Virginia, where she was raised, to attend her brother in law's funeral. Upon arriving, there are a rash of gruesome murders and the sudden onset of uncontrollable sexual urges, both of which she has to get to the bottom of, so to speak.;)

Edward Lee has written some decent horror and some not so decent. Unfortunately, this one falls into the latter category. This is the second Lee book I've read this year, and I thought the first, Flesh Gothic, was much better. Both have the Lee trademark splatter and sex, but I felt the latter book just came together better.

Lee's books seem to come in two different flavors. The first are the ones that have a B grade horror movie feel to them. Some of my faves of these are Succubi, Coven, Flesh Gothic and City Infernal. Then there are the ones that are only published in small press that are so over the top in violence and sexuality that no major publisher would touch them. The Bighead remains to this day the most depraved book I've read outside of The 120 Days of Sodom. Some other titles in this second category are Portrait of the Psychopath as A Young Woman and Family Tradition. I would recommend these to only those who have strong stomachs. But I would try some of the others if you are looking for a quick, fun read, that you won't have to bother thinking about too much afterwards.

Back