• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Biggles Forum

jenngorham said:
what in the name of flippin' hell is a biggles?

Childrens' Books by Capt W.E.Johns and the Biggles series were about a pilot named James Bigglesworth who had ripping adventures with his pals in flying boats. :cool: I know I am a sad man :( Reg

My favourite Biggles site:
http://www.biggles.info/

Hope that helps

Hi again, I guess my question got lost along the way which was:

reg said:
I wondered what anyone would say a sad old Biggles fan should read to start him off on non-Biggles literature?

I would read other stuff if I had any idea what to start on :rolleyes:

Reg

So, it's suggestions you want?

Well, I haven't a clue as to what Biggles is, besides what you told Jenn a few posts up, so I can't give you any suggestions on books similar to Biggles; all I can really do is suggest a few books I've read and enjoyed in the past.

You could try the Jasper Fforde books - The Eyre Affair, Lost In A Good Book, The Well Of Lost Plots, and Something Rotten.

You could try Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, the Dirk Gently Books.

You could try Kurt Vonnegut - The Sirens of Titan, Slaughterhouse-5, Galapagos, to name a few.

I could go on and on and on ...

Cheers

He's actually a very good author, but yes, you're right, he's slightly out of your league.

Cheers

Martin said:
He's actually a very good author, but yes, you're right, he's slightly out of your league.

Cheers

ah ah ah ah ah sputter sputter cough sputter ah. out of my league.......HA

from now on you are known as nick, as in nick carter of the backstreet boys.

reg said:
Hi again, I guess my question got lost along the way which was:

I would read other stuff if I had any idea what to start on :rolleyes:
Reg, what are you interested in? It's really hard to make recommendations when we don't know much about you other than that you're a Biggles fan.

These are just guesses as to what I think you might like:

Douglas Adams - His "Hitchhiker's" series. Funny, irreverent romp through the galaxy.
Neil Gaiman - American Gods, Good Omens (with Terry Pratchett)
Stephen King ?
C S Lewis - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (entire series)

- Please look a few of these up on Amazon or the like and see if they seem interesting to you. Let us know and I'm sure you'll get more responses.

Oh yes I have read the Holistic Detective Agency, thats a super book.
I'm a bit of a Sci-fi fan (W.E.Johns author of Biggles wrote some sci-fi also), I'm more into ripping tales and aircraft but seem to have got stuck in a Biggles rut, which is ripping adventures with aircraft but childrens books at the end of the day I am afraid. An adult version of the same would be very good :)
Thanks for the other recommendations and I will look them up. I am also interested in reading something with some 'guts' as in a bit more grown up (I am 44 after all!!) I wanted to read something heavy aswell to expand my mind so to speak. The most heavy I have got so far is Dickens, which is not very is it?
Reg

Ell said:
Douglas Adams - His "Hitchhiker's" series. Funny, irreverent romp through the galaxy.
Ha ha ha ha ha!

...ahem...

reg - have you tried George Orwell's 1984? It's classic literature, which you seem to looking for. Otherwise what about looking at some military-based books? I'm not an expert on this sort of thing, but Tom Clancy comes to mind.

1984, that is an idea, I have read Brave New World by Aldus Huxley, but that was a bit of a dissapointement :(

reg said:
Oh yes I have read the Holistic Detective Agency, thats a super book.
I'm a bit of a Sci-fi fan (W.E.Johns author of Biggles wrote some sci-fi also), I'm more into ripping tales and aircraft but seem to have got stuck in a Biggles rut, which is ripping adventures with aircraft but childrens books at the end of the day I am afraid. An adult version of the same would be very good :)
Thanks for the other recommendations and I will look them up. I am also interested in reading something with some 'guts' as in a bit more grown up (I am 44 after all!!)
Reg
Since you like science fiction, you might try Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson is also VERY good, although it's somewhat daunting at 900+ pages. The plot goes back and forth between WWII and the present. It has adventure, intrigue, great characters.

I wanted to read something heavy as well to expand my mind so to speak. The most heavy I have got so far is Dickens, which is not very is it?
Reg, heavy doesn't necessarily mean classics (like Dickens) and classics aren't always heavy. How about Crime and Punishment by Doestoyevsky?

ell

Ell said:
Since you like science fiction, you might try Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson is also VERY good, although it's somewhat daunting at 900+ pages. The plot goes back and forth between WWII and the present. It has adventure, intrigue, great characters.
Wicked recommendations - two of my favourite books, ever.

Cheers

Thanks! This is great!
I have ordered:
Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse-5]
&
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (I like a big book to get my teeth into)
That will do to be going on with
Thanks all!! :eek:
Reg

Hello again all

I read Slaghterhouse 5 but I must say I was quite disappointed.

All the best

Reg

I only found and joined this Forum this morning so there is tons of interesting stuff to read. When I saw this thread it reminded me that, during a recent spring-cleaning, I discovered in the attic all my childhood books including Biggles galore. As a child I couldn't get enough of Biggles books and had read and re-read them over and over.

My initial reaction was that I should read one of them at least just to see if there was any magic left. But, in the end, I opted out just in case a re-read after all these years would spoil my memories. Silly, maybe, but there you go :rolleyes:

yes I know how you feel, when I sold all my Biggles books (which I had read SO many times) I thought about keeping my favourite 3, but decided against it just so I could remember them all in my head. I'm sure they were much more like magic when I was a kid than when I read them as an adult.

Back