• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Black Magician Trilogy

Stalky

By Trudi Canavan. Anyone read these books? The first is called The Magicians Guild, then The Novice, and third is The High Lord. So far I've read the first two and they're really good. The first one starts with Sonea, a girl from the slums, angrily throwing a rock at some magicians and, shock, easily penetrating their shield. Then she runs off, and they try really hard to find her because she's really powerful and she might cause destruction if she doesn't learn to harness her powers.

In the second book, she attends the Guild school, and she has to work to overcome prejudices that the other students have against her origins. She also knows a rather dangerous secret, which she has to try to hide from everyone. This book also focuses on Dannyl, a new embassador for the guild.

Both were very good book, and I look forward to reading the third.

I've read all three of them and quite enjoyed them. They weren't anything like my all time favourites, but they were a nice diversionary read. I happen to believe that the third was the best book of the three, simply because Trudi Canavan did not shy away from the deaths of characters. For me, that's important, since it's unrealistic to suppose that every character will survive the almost ending of the world (a la David Eddings). I thought Sonea was a strong female character.

I have read the first two and will read the third, but I found myself disappointed with the second. Cery only made one appearance, and if he doesn’t have a big part in the third I will be really upset. I was also bored with Dannyl's story, not only do I in general prefer girls as heroines but it makes it even harder to relate when it turns out the guy is gay. My disappointment has embittered me, but I will hold out for the third. Did anyone else think these books were just average? Or do I need to reread them, to see where I misjudged them?

Like I mentioned, I found them a good solid read, but nothing spectacular. The third book is much more gripping than the second, 'let's do a kind of Harry Potter style' book. I was a little dissatisfied with the second - plenty of other authors have done the whole misfit student who is bullied far more effectively (including the young adults author Tamora Pierce).

I ordered the first one, The Magicians' Guild, online just yesterday! I'm looking forward to reading it, it sounds good. :)

Not the greatest book of all time, though it appears to be the author's first series. A fine start and an excellent book (I've only read The Magician's Guild). If this book is any indication of the author's potential she could be a top rate author by the end of the decade.

you guys are being a little quick with the average sticker. this was a well thought out book with a great plot and a very beliveable heroine. the third book could have sold hardcover. and it had an end! thats worth 26 bucks . to read a good trillolgy with AN ENDING! not just hack pumping out 15000 pages to make some jack for his next of kin. i could not put it down. i gave the whole series to five other people the last book got lost and 3 of the people went crazy trying to find the last book. AND the last book was the best, go figure. how many great books has fantasy writers put out that the ending SUCKED or was so forseen it wasnt worth reading. but ........anyway i liked it.

I liked it, but I've read better fantasy :) . I mean, I prefer Maggie Furey, who seems to write in a similar 'voice'.

I have a definite spectrum of fantasy authors I've read. David Gemmell would be pretty much near the top, and someone like Sara Douglass or Elizabeth Haydon would be near the bottom. To me, that sets this series and someone like James Clemens smack-bang in the middle. Good books, decent characterisation, and I wouldn't have dreamed of not buying and reading the last book in their respective series'. It doesn't make them average authors, because they provided me with entertainment, but I would not automatically buy their books in hardcover like I do with someone like Gemmell.

The Magicians' Guild arrived today! Can't wait to read it - may even break my "one book at a time" rule and start it.

I finished the first book today! I thought it was excellent - I couldn't put it down. I liked Sonea, she was a likeable and realistic character, as Canavan didn't shy away from making her scared at times (how many times is the hero/ine a feisty character who is ridiculously unafraid in the face of near death, when really they'd be wetting themselves?). I've just ordered books 2 and 3, and can't wait until they arrive.

interesting. I just bought it a couple of days ago, because it somehow caught my interest (the sleek, uncheesy cover, untypical to many fantasy books surely did its part) and started reading it yesterday. I haven't read much yet but I am glad to see that it receives such kind words here in the forum. this tells me I probably won;t regret my decision. as soon as I have read more, I will post my own thoughts and comments.

cheers!

bob

Well, I finished The High Lord, the last book of the trilogy last night, and it was excellent. It was rather sad at the end, though I'll say no more. For the person who wanted more Cery (Amy?) he was in it a lot more! I really, really enjoyed these books and will definitely seek out Trudi Canavan's next work. If you haven't read these books, go and read them, you won't be disappointed. :)

PS I have written reviews of the first two books for the forum. I'll probably do one for the third too, but it will be pretty short as there's not much I feel I can say without giving away a hell of a lot of plot.

Trudi Canavan

I have read "the magician's guild" & i found it to be ok[rating of 7.5/10]

my reasons bieng that it has good start & a sound ending with a big surprise which paves the way for the sequel however it really dragged in the middle part

Magemanda i"ll agree with you on the part that David Gemmell is phenomenal but he's not alone there's Terry Brooks, Christopher Paolini & my all time favourite James Clemens
check out his "Banned & Banished" series" its awesome as each book has a cliffhanger of an ending[there are 5 books in total] & the series ending is like nothing you could have imagined

additionally thers also the mystery about the identity of the author of the scrolls & the reason for them being banned in the lands of Alasea.

these 3 reasons made this series unique & totally unputdownable

also Jim begins his new series "the godslayer chronicles" with book "Shadowfall" which will come in june this year

ps:sorry for the long post

I really liked the black magician books but I feel like 3 were not enough of them.
I mean she created a massive and detailed world so I think she should write more of them or at least books that concern the world she has made.

I think just 3 books is for the better, or else you get likes of wheel of time, that it goes on and on and on.
The ending is realistic and unpredictable and it really gave me a feeling of completion. I'm really curious how it would go on, but I don't want to ruin my good feeling about the books, like I had with the books of R. Feist

Back