• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The books that started it all.

Sparhawk

I was doing something that is always dangerous (thinking). there was for me a book that changed the way I read books from books are ok and there were books I injoyed but it wasn't until I read The Last Continent by terry patches that I started to love books and reading. Was there any one book that started your love of reading and books? I thought that it just might be interesting.

Dragonfly in Amber-Diana Gabladon. I always loved reading and read a lot but that book showed just how full, deep, rich and all encompassing a story could be.

My dad always says I was born with a book in my hand, and I really cannot remember a time when I couldn't read - I know I could read before I went to school. When I was six, my Grandma bought me The Big Story Book - it was about 600 pages long (large type) and had around 100 or so fairy-tale type stories in it. I read the whole thing in one day. I still have it, it is one of my favorite, albeit very tattered, books.

Yogayog by Rabindranath Tagore. Like Kelstan, I had always been inseparable from books. Be it comics, fairytales, indian mythological (we call them puranic katha), i had always been hungry for books. But, yogayog was special, as it ws my first adult novel at the age of eleven. Indebted to my father for encouraging me to get in the company of learned author at such a young age!

I too have been reading since I was a small child. My Mom says I began at age 3 but I don't know...I DO remember writing my own short story at the age of 5 and 1/2. My mom still has it tucked away.

The book that I think really started it all for me was "The Hobbit" by JRR Tolkien. Odd choice, but I remember being fascinated with the fantasy aspect, the adventures of these strange creatures, and the funny language they used. I still have my old tattered and yellowed copy from when I was 7yrs old...I'll never part with it. I've since bought the whole collection of Tolkien's work for my oldest son (trying to share a bit of my history with my own child), but he'd rather the films to the books...

I am in my mid-50s now and started reading so long ago that I don't remember a single book being the one that ignited a love of books. As a young child we visited our local library every couple of weeks (that was the longest you could borrow a book for), so we read widely and quickly. The Just William series was a favourite; I expect they are now little read though!

Like some others on this thread I don't remember a time I didn't read. There is no single book that ignited my love of reading....I credit my parents, mostly my mother but my father was also a definite cheerleader for my reading skills. A box of books was my standard Christmas and birthday presents.

I really wish I'd kept a life list of reading, but only started about 6 years ago. Drat.

Unlike most everyone here, I didn't start reading books or even like them until after high school, the first book I picked up was a copy of my mother's, called "Magic's Pawn" by Mercedes Lackey, it was so good I had to read the other two in the trilogy. We didn't have a computer back then and all the other books were not available at the shops so the first books I bought and downloaded were the others in the Valdemar universe series.
I've been reading ever since.

My dad always says I was born with a book in my hand, and I really cannot remember a time when I couldn't read - I know I could read before I went to school.

Same here.

I couldn't pin it down to one single book if my life depended on it. There were just too many great reads that bowled me over.

It's so long ago since I was young that I don't remember one specific book but I remember at my grandmother's house there was a big pile of of magazines - I think they were encyclopedia type mags put out by Pears (talking about Scotland) and I was always looking at those - don't know what the content was but there must have been lots of things to hold my interest. There were also National Geographics to look at. This was before I started school so don't know whether I was taught to read before school or not but I wouldn't have been able to read at that level anyway just probably looked at the pictures. Just know that reading has always been a passion.

I truly don't remember not being able to read...let alone the first books. I do remember reading a letter from my Grandmother written in cursive when I was in first grade, I would have been 5-6 that year.

For me, it was Del Tora Quest. That book series made me really enjoy reading books.

I found it at school when they did that scholastic thing where they set up shop at the school and sell books and gadgets. I picked up Del Tora Quest because it had a cool book cover, then plowed through all of the series. I went back and reread it a couple of years ago, and it was still really good, even though the writing is obviously meant for an elementry aged child.

Ever since I have loved epic stories that involve the same characters throughout and are about their journies.

Back