• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Casting Game

kelliebelle

Let's play The Casting Game! :D

This is an idea of mine which gets its roots from one of my mind processes while I read books of fiction. When I'm reading, I picture famous people for the main characters of the book. Do you do this too? If so, join in the fun and tell us a recent casting you've done in your mind while reading. Imagine you're a casting director for an upcoming film version of your latest read. In your opinion, who would be the best fit to play the main characters? I'll go first...

Wicked by Gregory Maguire
About halfway through this book, it hit me who Elphaba is: Megan Mullally from Will & Grace! If she had green skin, she would fit the role to a tee! She has the sharp features and dark hair as described by the author. And, if you've ever seen her on W&G, she has the ability to be quite wicked! As for other characters, I think Galinda/Glinda could be played by Nicole Kidman, and Nessarose - perhaps Scarlett Johansson (although she's typically anything but pious, and I don't know how they'd do the arm thing!)

let me give it a try

the witching hour:
rowan mayfair: helen hunt
michael curry: jeff goldblum
aaron lightner: richard attenborough (the old guy from jurasic park)

maybe they dont fit exactly what the author described, but they were who came to mind while reading

kelliebelle said:
Let's play The Casting Game! :D

This is an idea of mine which gets its roots from one of my mind processes while I read books of fiction. When I'm reading, I picture famous people for the main characters of the book. Do you do this too?

Such a funny coincidence that I suggested the same game a few hours ago on this very forum!!! We must be so alike!!! Let's be friends because that would be so fun for me!! Calling all cars . . . . fun is happening!

novella said:
Such a funny coincidence that I suggested the same game a few hours ago on this very forum!!! We must be so alike!!! Let's be friends because that would be so fun for me!! Calling all cars . . . . fun is happening!
No way! :D I didn't see your thread or I would have just joined in with you. I would love to be your friend. There's nothing like having a friend who loves books! :)

okay, i never did this, but i try everything!!
i'm reading DYING FOR CHOCOLATE by diane mott davidson!!
Goldy Bear, the caterer would possible be Sandra Bullock!! hmmm... but who should be the nice cop?? i can't think of anybody!!
do anybody else has an idea??
The cop has to be tall, a kind of nice and a in a good way a little bit frightening!!
bye

on another thread somebody mentioned that brad and jen, new to splitsville, had purchased the rights to the time travelers wife. i couldn't even picture either of them for these characters, not even in my most bizzaro world dream sequence. i thought that jude law might be a good henry, he can brooding and sexy. for clare i like julianne moore, as the older clare, but i am at a loss for the teenage henry/clare.

jenngorham said:
for clare i like julianne moore, as the older clare, but i am at a loss for the teenage henry/clare.
Ooh, good one! I love Julianne Moore, and the book is fabulous as well.

ISO a Hackman vehicle

Let’s take a stab at this from the other direction.

I’m looking for a Gene Hackman vehicle. Perhaps he could be the master in Story of O? Nah. A bit racy for old Gene.

He doesn’t want to have a lot of family tying him down, either.

Perhaps he would make a good Agamemnon, with the supine yet perverse Parker Posey as his concubine Cassandra. They would, of course, be brutally slain by his wife Clytemnestra, played by the incomparable Susan Sarandon. (Tim Robbins as her lover Aegisthos, of course.) And Aggie’s death would be avenged by his son Orestes, played by the virile yet naïve Mark Wahlberg, wearing name-brand underwear as product placement. Bill Murray can do a cameo as the Greek Chorus.

Do I hear “Blockbuster”?

novella said:
Perhaps he would make a good Agamemnon, with the supine yet perverse Parker Posey as his concubine Cassandra. They would, of course, be brutally slain by his wife Clytemnestra, played by the incomparable Susan Sarandon. (Tim Robbins as her lover Aegisthos, of course.) And Aggie’s death would be avenged by his son Orestes, played by the virile yet naïve Mark Wahlberg, wearing name-brand underwear as product placement. Bill Murray can do a cameo as the Greek Chorus.

Do I hear “Blockbuster”?

wow i think you missed your calling. never read the book, but would see the movie based on cast alone.

jenngorham said:
wow i think you missed your calling. never read the book, but would see the movie based on cast alone.

Ha ha. Thanks! It's actually the play "Agememnon" by Aeschylus from 5th century BC. I've seen it, it's wonderful, has got it all--love, sex, murder, revenge, plus who could resist Bill Murray in a toga? Due for a revival, methinks.

novella said:
Ha ha. Thanks! It's actually the play "Agememnon" by Aeschylus from 5th century BC. I've seen it, it's wonderful, has got it all--love, sex, murder, revenge, plus who could resist Bill Murray in a toga? Due for a revival, methinks.

is it the same agememnon from the movie troy. sorry to reference that movie as it was WRETCHED, but it is where i heard the name. i guess my question is really is it the same ag. from the story of troy.

i love bill murray. he cracks me up just sitting there, doing nothing.

cast of time travellers wife:
i've changed my mind re: jude law for henry. i think eric bana from the movie troy(see above for my apologies) was really great as hector, and has just the right amount of below the surface hostility and is very sexy. also i think oliver platt as henry and clare's best friend whose name escapes me. he was a good friend to them both but always had a thing going on for clare.

jenngorham said:
is it the same agememnon from the movie troy. sorry to reference that movie as it was WRETCHED, but it is where i heard the name. i guess my question is really is it the same ag. from the story of troy.

Yes, it's the same. But the story varies, depending on who tells it. Sometimes Agamemnon comes home and gets killed by his wife, sometimes he goes off somewhere else. But he's the mythical dude who fathered Orestes, Electra, and Iphegenia. He was the commander of the Greeks against Troy and appears in Homer, as well as all kinds of plays and tales.

i love bill murray. he cracks me up just sitting there, doing nothing.

Yeah, me too. Even his bad movies are good. And his Caddyshack performance is classic.

Any ideas for casting one of these?:

Catcher in the Rye (Salinger)

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (Pirsig)
(please don’t say William Hurt as Pirsig or I will dig a hole and get in it)

The Corrections (Franzen)

The Secret History (Donna Tartt)

On the Road (Kerouac)

Riddley Walker (Russell Hoban)

kelliebelle said:
I think Sean Astin would make a great Holden Caufield. What do you think?

He's too well fed looking.

I would step outside the actor world and get Beck.

awww.aha.ru__vab_kmimg_beck.jpg

kelliebelle said:
As you know, I'm reading the book before Dying for Chocolate, which also stars Goldy. I think she could be played by Elisabeth Shue. What do you think?

okay, yours fits better, but you're in practice i just start, but we still have a problem with mister schulz!! any suggestions?? and arch? ... and marla?? :D

Back