• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Christmas Puzzle

Peder

The Christmas Puzzle

Suppose for the moment you received a gift for Christmas that was contained in a gray unmarked box and, when you opened the box, the contents appeared to be jig-saw puzzle pieces for a rather large puzzle – about a thousand pieces more or less. Each seemed to have the customary small fragment of some colorful picture and the usual wavy edges for interlocking with other pieces.

Eager to start, you headed for the dining room table to spread out the pieces and get going but found that it was already being set for the customary family feast later in the day. So you settled on the couch, after moving the cat aside, and started to finger the pieces and look at them individually. You quickly double-checked the box cover for a picture but, no, there was none. Hm, no hints, eh? Rather quickly you noticed that each piece had a picture on each side. Ho-ho! A tough one, eh? And finally, rummaging through the jumbled pile of pieces for the usual shapes, you slowly surmised that there seemed to be no edge pieces or corner pieces either.

So, after a second look, to check if there really was no picture on the cover, you finally decided to look at pieces at random and, after examining each piece, toss it back randomly into the box after scrutinizing it as closely and as long as you wished.

After a while your clever 10-year old daughter wandered by and asked, “Dad? Do you really think you are going to figure out what the picture is without assembling the puzzle?”

Grim silence from you as you continued picking up and flipping pieces back into the box.

After a while, from the same curious daughter, “What makes you think they will even make a picture?”

Grimmer silence from you now, as you hoped she'd take the hint and blast off.

Then, “Maybe there are two pictures in that pile, depending how you put the pieces together? Or more?

At which point you said “Go 'way, I'm busy.” Or perhaps you had answers to her questions. Hm?

Grimmer than the grimmest of grim.

-In my opinion that's one too many singular descriptions to want to pay attention to.

A grim silence should be said only once. Then there's got to be a dramatic counter reaction to make what you say somewhat interesting(er).

Hmm second read and I did the same as with the other piece - trying to ride the flow of emotions in it. It leaves a huge question mark in my head. Maybe I will come back to it again later to find out more. Makes me wonder if those wide-open ends are part of your particular style and follow certain rules.

Hmm second read and I did the same as with the other piece - trying to ride the flow of emotions in it. It leaves a huge question mark in my head. Maybe I will come back to it again later to find out more. Makes me wonder if those wide-open ends are part of your particular style and follow certain rules.

Hi Ben, no, not always open-ended, but maybe just reading and going with the flow is a way to read what I post. I have settled on posting in what I would call American conversational style, at least my version of it. I think it is close to the way I speak -- certainly close to the way I think. When I think.

Writing well-organized, grammatical and syntactically correct English, or American, is just too much distraction for me and my run-on thoughts. That was part of my professional life and I have had enough of it throughout my career. Here, on these pages, I prefer to relax and be more like myself.

Regarding the Puzzle itself, that is a spin-off from a train of thought that I have been pursuing regarding the origins of the Universe for a blog piece up above ("Christmas Musing," when it ever appears). It is also my first work here in Writer's Corner, just to test the waters. And, yes, the question itself is very deliberately designed to be thought provoking.

Many thanks for your contining interest,
Peder

Back