• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Dark Knight

The movie was awesome! Ledger was getting rave reviews about the Joker before his death. I thought the film was well acted, and the only negative was the writing (as well as some scenes which I doubt can actually happen, but I willing to suspend believe). I think Dent took away from the duality of Batman and the Joker, but still it was amazing. I like the allusions to other movies (IT) and the reference to who I am betting will be the villain in the next movie (not telling if you didn't hear it).

I saw it!

I saw the Dark Knight . . . and I definitely thought it was good, but didn't think it was AS good as ALL of the hype. Believe me, it's worthy of hype, but there are talks of the Dark Knight surpassing the Godfather as the #1 movie on imdb. For me anyway, it was definitely not life changing!
I think it was definitely one up from Batman Begins, and the Joker is much more developed as a character than Scarecrow was. The film is a little long, but doesn't ever get boring.
I agree that a lot of the hype has to do with Heath Ledger's untimely death, and I think he did an excellent job acting in the movie, but it's a shame it was his last! Most of the movie, it is hard to even tell that it is really him . . . quite amazing.
To see how Two-Face comes to be is also important in the movie!

I agree development of Dent's character was important. Ledger's Joker was amazing, and yes his death played a role, but people were praising him before his death, and he lived up to it.

I agree that ledger lived up to his reviews before his death indeed! I think he was amazing . . . I just think a lot of people who wouldn't have been interested in this film now are because of his death, thus the extra hype around the film . . . That's really all I meant . . .

I agree, but for fangirls like me...the Joker was finally as scary as he was supposed to be. The comicbook Joker wasn't a mobster like in previous movies; he was seriously evil and without motive. I loved it. It is unfortunate Ledger won't be able to play him again.

My kids saw it on Saturday and they all thought it was great. My daughter said it was the "best Batman ever"!

My sons both saw it. Jr. said it was a much better film the any of the previous batman movies and he gave it his highest recommendation.

Uncomparable

After Batman Begins came out, I was a little bit dissapointed because I felt that it had deviated a lot from the originals.

Now that I have seen The Dark Night, I am not so dissapointed, and I think that comparing the new movies to the old ones is really hard to do, because they are not really on the same level, which is not a bad thing for the old ones or the new ones I think. The originals are just classics, and had a much more cartoony, comic book feel to them, and the new ones are just fantastic action movies where Batman feels much more like a real person. I think that looking at it this way helps me to appreciate the old ones and the new ones even better!

Anyone agree or disagree? Curious what others think as well!

I think that comparing the new movies to the old ones is really hard to do, because they are not really on the same level, which is not a bad thing for the old ones or the new ones I think. The originals are just classics, and had a much more cartoony, comic book feel to them, and the new ones are just fantastic action movies where Batman feels much more like a real person. I think that looking at it this way helps me to appreciate the old ones and the new ones even better!

Anyone agree or disagree? Curious what others think as well!

I couldn't agree more. I haven't seen The Dark Knight yet, but I think I prefer Batman Beggins to the older batman movies, cause, like you said, it is more real.

Comic movies from the 90s and back are more comicy (I made this word up which is perfectly legitimate); they are what people believed comics should be action comedies. Creators such as Stan Lee (one example) have developed more complex characters. Look at the original Batman tv series as an example. Batman, Superman, they were supposed to be the ultimate good guy, but now super heroes often reject it or get there through darker channels. The genre has evolved, and the new movies are not necessarily better, just a reflection of the change.

I saw Gary Oldman on Conan and he talked about how Nolan used as little CGI as possible. The semi flipping was as real as it could get.

I don't think these new series of Batman flicks could be compared to the old ones. This is an entirely different take. Apples & oranges.

I saw Gary Oldman on Conan and he talked about how Nolan used as little CGI as possible. The semi flipping was as real as it could get.

Surely this is a lesson that they could have used for the new Indiana Jones movie? Or maybe they should have just rewritten the whole plot! Aliens? Indiana? Really? :confused:

I saw the Dark Knight last week at the midnight showing and I thought it was amazing! I was so excited to see it and it definitely exceeded my expectations. I am a Batman fan as well and have enjoyed all of the movies but I have to say that The Dark Knight is my favorite Batman movie and probably my favorite movie of all time. It is an imperishable, spectacular and chaotically-brilliant. The Dark Knight possesses the essence that should always exist in the handover from comics to the big screen. It is a great movie that does not give a single frame to breathe. An ode to chaos and anarchy, while shares are confronted inevitably lead to a path dirty, black and hostile. It shows a real Gotham City that is dominated by fear. The only thing that disappointed me was Maggie Gyllenhaal who plays Rachel Dawes in the movie; she did not do as good of a job as Katie Holmes in Batman Begins. I did not think Maggie was as strong of an actress as Katie. The Actor who blew me away was Heath Ledger. He was phenomenal! Heath Ledger is one of my favorite actors and this was by far his best performance! I actually started to cry in the middle of the movie because he was so good and its sad that he is dead now. The movie is a lot darker then the original and a whole lot different. It has a lot of unexpected twists and surprises. I don't want to give anything away but you will honestly walk out of the theater in awe and wonder. This movie was incredible and if I were you, I would not hesitate to see it. I would also recommend seeing it in IMAX. I did not see it in IMAX but certain scenes are filmed using IMAX technology which has never been done before. IMAX is the highest resolution you can use so the quality is amazing. Traditional filming cameras are wider than they are tall but an IMAX camera is taller then it is wide which is great for the big building shots. Basically if you go and see the movie in IMAX, the experience will be extraordinary. I am definitely going to go see it again but in IMAX since I know it will be worth it!

Back