• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Darling, by Russell Banks

confidential3

I'm new here... wonder if someone who has read this book could help me get a grasp of it. I'm reading it for a book club, and haven't gotten really started on it -- but the amazon.com reviews scare me. It's full of "Liberia's real-life tragedies" and "terror." Sounds forbidding.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Welcome to TBF, confidential3! What is it about the reviews that scare you?

Could you post the link to amazon.com so we can all be scared too? :D

Hmmmmm.... Still Learning, I don't know whether I can post a link to Amazon.com here or not.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/00...104-0687055-9331156?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

These are the reviews which I read.... [still haven't read the book itself yet!]

I'd love to have some experts here on this forum tell me about Russell Banks, or about any of his books, or whatever I should know in order to sound intelligent when I get to the club meeting.... :rolleyes:

Goodness! This one sounds interesting.

"Mainly, we return to a place in order to learn why we left," she says.

and

She becomes a wife and mother, and is bored and unfulfilled by the role. She turns to creating a sanctuary for chimpanzees and finds her real purpose. "An old pattern. It's how since childhood I have made my daily life worth living, by turning tedium and despair into a cause." She names each chimp, calls them her "dreamers," and cares for them while others care for her children. Self-knowledge is not high on a list of her personal attributes. Although she characterizes herself as "a darling," there is little evidence to support her claim: distant father, cold mother, controlling husband. She finally sees herself in a true light: "Here it all was again: the names and dates, the tired facts of my biography up to then, the description of my few skills and talents. It was the CV of a small-time, would-be domestic terrorist. Sad. Pathetic."

This is the first I've heard of this book. Or of this author. Where have I been? :confused:

Back