• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Day After Tomorrow - doubt

Kathleen & Joe

Hallo everybody, I'm from Italy, I subscribed myself in this intersting forum since months, but I never wrote before. Now I plucked up my courage because I have a doubt and I hope someone could help me.

I finished right now the Allan Folsom's great thriller The Day After Tomorrow, and I have a question concerning the original version of the book, as obviously I have the italian version.
Page 415, at the beginning of chapter 103 (14th line in my book edition), there is a sentence that on my opinion have been wrongly translated.
The sentence from italian sounds like: The concept was fitted to Scholl as a condom.
Now, this comparison sounds a little strange in italian. In italian, as in English, we have the comparison to fit like a glove, but not like a condom!
For this I was wondering how it could be in the original american version.

Is there someone who can remove my doubt?
Thanks a lot

:)

Kathleen & Joe

Nobody has got this thiller in his proper bookcase?
That's a pity. My suggestion is to read it, it's a great thriller.

Bye :)

Kathleen & Joe

Sorry, I wish I could be of help, but I haven't read it, nor do I know much about the author. Does the rest of the author's language raise the possibility that he may have actually said, "fitted like a condom"?

Kathleen & Joe said:
Hallo everybody, I'm from Italy, I subscribed myself in this intersting forum since months, but I never wrote before. Now I plucked up my courage because I have a doubt and I hope someone could help me.

I finished right now the Allan Folsom's great thriller The Day After Tomorrow, and I have a question concerning the original version of the book, as obviously I have the italian version.
Page 415, at the beginning of chapter 103 (14th line in my book edition), there is a sentence that on my opinion have been wrongly translated.
The sentence from italian sounds like: The concept was fitted to Scholl as a condom.
Now, this comparison sounds a little strange in italian. In italian, as in English, we have the comparison to fit like a glove, but not like a condom!
For this I was wondering how it could be in the original american version.

Is there someone who can remove my doubt?
Thanks a lot

:)

Kathleen & Joe

This book happens to be one of my favorites of all time. I read it when it first came out, and I happen to have it on my bookshelf. In my book it says "The word fit School like a condom, the conceit of a man who could manipulate and murder at the same time tout himself as father confessor to kings and presidents."

Great thriller!

Thank you very much, cshigh.
So, the translation to italian is correct and it's a real Folsom's camparison. This kind of comparison sounds a bit strange to me, because in italian (and in English) it's not usual at all. Maybe it is in the USA?

Thanks to Kookamoor as well. The author's language is always quite soft and this sort of comparison doesn't fit for the occasion.

Bye :)

K&J

Back