• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The English: A Portrait of a People

Freya

I picked this one up as I'm quite interested in national identity, especially Englishness, being that I am, erm, English. Anyway, it's by Jeremy Paxman; if you know anything about him I suppose that serves as a warning of sorts.

It was an ok read. He details various discourses of 'Englishness', ranging from typical English men and women, how we're thought of by foreigners, the ways we stereotype foreigners and our superiority complex, attitudes to sex, food and sport.

Unfortunately (in my mind) it was all based in history. I don't mind the odd bit, but after a while it gets terribly dull. Personally I'm more interested in the future of our identity. Where we're heading in the face of globalisation, homogenisation of culture and the EU.

Oh and I thought quite a lot of what he had to say was a load of tripe.

Has anyone read this? Any thoughts? Also has anyone read anything of a similar theme that you think might tickle my fancy?

I was given this book but haven't got round to reading it. I must admit that I was pretty put off because of Jeremy Paxman. I just find him so self-obsessed and arrogant.

Did his 'Paxoness' come through in the writing? That would definitely stop me from reading it

I found it easy enough to bear, but there's a picture of him in the front cover of my copy, which is a little off-putting. He's got one of those faces I'd happily slap all day long. If your copy has a picture of him, I'd advise you to glue the the first few pages together, and then to the front cover. That way you won't accidently catch sight of him and throw the book away in rage.

Just read the first chapter, it's short and the whole book continues in much the same manner. I wouldn't want to put you off entirely, as I know a lot of people who've read it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks for the glueing tip Freya! I could definitely slap his smug face all day long too. He's definitely one of those people who incite extreme feeling.

Back