• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Game's Afoot ...

StillILearn

Peder is reading one of the Laurie R. King books (all of which I have read and adored), and I myself just recently spent a fortune on the CD version of Arthur and George. I've read and seen dozens of books and movies featuring the singular sleuth. (PBS's Jeremy Brett was inspired, in my estimation.) I've even listened to some of the old radio shows with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, which was kind of fun, as they included the old-timey commercials and all.

Anybody else here a Sherlock Holmes fan? Which books have you discovered that you might recommend?

I just finished A Slight Trick of the Mind, which was excellent. I talked about it in another thread -- somewhere :rolleyes: I learned some fascinating stuff about beekeeping in that one.

Any other suggestions?

StillILearn,
You have keen eyes, befitting a Holmes/Russell fan. :) But I have only just started Laurie R. King and haven't read anything beyond the original Sherlock Holmes Canon -- all of it, long ago. So I'm not much help, except to say that it is very impressive that you have seen/heard/read so many versions of the great sleuth.
Peder

SIL I've read all but the last two of the Russell/Holmes and those are in my TBR stack. I kind of lost interest when Holmes seemed to be lagging behind in wordage. And I read the originals when I was a kid, and maybe a few times since. ;) I love the Jeremy Brett version that is still showing on, what is it? A&E or The Biography Channel. I even have about 6 of them on tape. And it goes without saying (although when ever have I done that!?) that Rathbone is the end all, be all of Holmesian lore. :D

Plus recently my book fairy gave me something you might find interesting. Rivals of Sherlock Holmes Forty stories of Crime and Detection from Original Illustrated Magazines by--- Grant Allen, Robert Barr Arnold Bennett, Richard Harding Davis, Arthur Conan Doyle, L. T. Meade & Robert Eustace, L.T. Meade & Clifford Halifax, M.D., Arthur Morrison, Newton MacTavish, Baroness E. Orczy, C.L. Pirkis, Clarence Rook, H.G. Wells, and last but not least...Fred M. White /whew/ lotta authors represented there!

These are all stories that appeared in the magazines of the era, i.e. The Strand et als. The illustrations are Holmsian in look, and marvelous. :D

Well, oddly enough, I have recently focused on finding books which feature Holmes by people other than Conan Doyle. I've read most of Laurie King's Mary Russell books and liked them (though I still think the first may be the best of the lot).
At any rate, some other authors you might want to look for are:
Michael Hardwick - Prisoner of the Devil
Wayne Worcester - The Jewel of Covent Garden
Richard Lancelyn Green (ed.) - The Further Adventures . . .
Larry Millett - S.H. and the Ice Palace Murders

There are many others even in my own library, and many other writers who tangentially involve Holmes (or one of Conan Doyle's other characters) in their books.

I am a huge Sherlock Holmes fan, though I will be first to admit I haven't finished the canon [ducks to avoid thrown cabbages].

I have an interesting book on SH called The Final Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by (surprise!) ACD!

This book collects additional Sherlock Holmes stories that was written by ACD but for one reason or another was not published. Peter Haining collected final remaining works on SH in this book, and it includes stories, poems and plays.

Imagine finding authentic ACD works on SH outside of SH canon! :)

I found the Amazon link for the book here, although my copy has Jeremy Brett on the cover.

In this book, ACD actually lists down his favourite SH stories. They are:
1. The Speckled Band
2. The Red-Headed League
3. The Dancing Men
4. The Final Problem (I was surprised this wasn't the first)
5. A Scandal in Bohemia
6. The Empty House
7. The Five Orange Pips
8. The Second Stain
9. The Devil's Foot
10. THe Priory School
11. The Musgrave Ritual
12. The Reigate Squires

ds

Back