• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Good Man Jesus And the Scoundrel Christ

LaGs

By Phillip Pullman

Has anyone read it? Intriguing concept tweaking the story of jesus and how he has a twin brother named christ.

I've read it and found it really underwhelming. That may be because I've already read/watched a bunch of reimagining of the Jesus myth - Scorsese, Bulgakov, Python, all those - and there's nothing in Pullman's book that others haven't already done better.

The Good Man Jesus

Haven't read the book but just as an aside I watched a couple of the video lectures from The Teaching Company on the history of Christianity and it really was interesting to know that nothing was written down about Jesus until about 60 years after his death and even then it was taken from 'word of mouth' stories- the lecturer said that many of the accounts attributed to Jesus were like the telephone game where a story is passed around a room and by the time it gets to the last person it has varied quite a bit. He also said that probably the only gospel that seemed to be more coherent than the others was the Gospel of Mark. Thought it was kind of interesting, however, didn't want to wade through the lectures to the third century - too much like school. momac

Back