• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Grass

Mimi

This is a short story i had written not too long ago. Like everything else of mine, it has not been edited so both editing and comments are more then welcome.
Enjoy!
The Grass
I was always told that the grass was luscious green in colour. I had always loved running my fingers over the sharp edges of each strand. I had always loved the faint aroma that the sharp blades gave out, but most of all I had always loved to picture the hills outside covered in this simple wonder of nature. I had loved a lot of things, things that don’t have the same meaning to me as they once did. I had loved the bitter-sweet smell of flowers, the coarse yet pleasant feeling of leather bound books, the enchanting stories about the wonderful world outside and I had loved the man who told them to me; my father. My father was the only other person I had really known for the twenty short years that I had lived. My mother had died shortly after I was born from a massive heart attack. I had no siblings, and I was told all of my close relatives lived in other countries. I was ok with the arrangement of things; I never felt the need for anyone other than my father around me. He had his faults, his annoying attributes, things that truly bothered me. Like when he would trail off in the middle of stories, never quite finishing them; or the loud, sloppy way he chewed tobacco and spat it out into an empty can, grunting in satisfaction when he heard the hollow ting of the spit hitting its target.
I myself am not without faults, paralyzed from the waist down and blind since birth, I’m lucky to have my father and his empty tin can. He taught me everything I had known about the world, how plants grow, the way the food chain worked, and how the sun was the source of energy and pretty tans on young ladies. There were also many things he didn’t teach me, things that his friends would accidentally mention at poker games. I now understand why he didn’t talk about those things, but back then his secrecy about certain subjects puzzled me. I never knew what a computer was, what TV stands for, or what electricity meant. There was another aspect of my life that my father never gave me a straight answer about, and that was the reason for why he’d never taken me outside. I had a wheelchair and he had buddies that could help him carry me down the stairs, which he often used as an excuse. I certainly had determination, persistence, and stubbornness towards this goal. Yet he had always somehow managed to elude the question and after many years, I stopped asking and settled on just listening to the stories that he keenly told me.
A lot of his stories were beautiful; he started those stories by describing the scenery. Almost always it was the grass that stood out. He would talk about how each little thread of grass would gather beside one another and cover hills upon hills. Hundreds, thousands, millions of little pieces forming a perfect picture of the complex labyrinth of our world. He would then gather some fresh grass with soil still stuck to the bottom of it and place it in my hands as he continued the stories. His stories were often about relationships; young lovers discovering the beauty of life or kids hanging on to the last strand of their quickly fading childhoods. He would linger on the details of the bright blue skies and fluffy white clouds. Yet his voice was filled with longing as he send the characters of his stories running to hide under the big oak tree; hiding from the cold, brisk rain that so suddenly fell from the now gray clouds. I had always loved how he described the oak tree. He would talk about the rough, jagged feel of the bark as he placed a piece of it I my eager hands. I ran my fingers along the piece; it really was rough and jagged but only on one side. The other side was, as my father told me, the inside which was very smooth like a finely polished wood. My father would then contrast the rough bark with the oaks magnificent blanket of leaves covering its thin branches. He enhanced the experience by giving me a few dried leaves, which I had held so very gently for the fear of the fragile structure falling apart in my hands. Unfortunately he never gave me live oak leaves, the only live leaves he gave me were tiny and from what he told me, they came from home breed plants. Again I ceased asking about it after the many times that I received silence as the only answer. The stories lasted anywhere from half an hour to nearly the whole afternoon; I could never get enough of them, they were unimaginably magnificent. To complete his stories he would always end them happily, no matter what had happened in the plot. The relationships would end up succeeding and the children would end up waking to another glorious day of their childhood. It had never ceased to amaze me how well he managed to tell these stories.
My father had to work during the long days so I spent them sewing or knitting, neither of them being very manly things to do, but it kept me occupied. Furthermore I had liked the feel of the cloth being pierced by the sharp needle or the complex patterns the coarse wool created. Everything I made had been simple and I knew not whether it looked good or not. It was quite the disadvantage not being able to see what you created, not knowing if the stitching was correct or if the colours matched.

The bonus was that it meant I never had to see my mistakes, the flaws, even the tiniest of imperfections. Simple things like puzzles kept me amused for hours, trying to fit the tiny pieces together; I had only ever finished one of them and at the end I didn’t even get to see the result of my hard work. I also enjoyed exploring the house, it wasn’t very big but it took a while for me to feel my way around. The wheelchair especially posed a difficulty seeing as I had had a lot of trouble getting it through all the nicks and crannies. What was particularly difficult was having to feel my way around so that I wouldn’t drive into any doors, walls or bookshelves. My father, being the good man that he was, had always left some drinks and food easily accessible for me to make sure I didn’t starve or dehydrate before he came back. Once he did come back he always made sure to keep us both well nourished. I liked his meals despite the fact that they all had the same texture, for the longest time I hadn’t known why that was so.
My dad always told me that I was blind since birth, but even as he told me that I knew there was something wrong. I faintly remembered my fathers face, he would say that I just had a vivid imagination but when I would tell him that I remembered what mom looked like, he fell silent. He never talked about my mom, especially not about her appearance. At about age eighteen I woke up to realize that the world was no longer pitch black; it had some faint colours. At first I only saw the blacks, whites and grays but in a few weeks I was seeing faint yellows, vibrant greens, dazzling oranges and spicy reds. They were just blurred colours but nevertheless it made the world all the more interesting. Sadly as my sight grew stronger my father’s relationship with me had become much weaker. He wouldn’t talk to me the same way he used to and he definitely didn’t want to talk about my vision. I few months afterwards I could see outlines of figures within the different colours. This opened a new window of opportunity for me, I could maneuver my way around the house with much more ease and it was a completely new world for me to explore. By the time I was in the mid nineteenth year of life I had a very blurred view of the world and a very blurred relationship with my dad. Through the blurred vision I could see everything though glasses would have done me much good. I knew where most things in the house were, I could recognize my fathers poker friends by more than just their voices. I was in heaven, sure I was still paralyzed but my new found site gave me hope for even more miracles. Through keen observation I had noticed that the front door was specifically designed to be much too high for me to reach either the lock or even the handle. I had found this incredibly unusual but my joy in having my vision back was so overwhelming that that didn’t matter much. I had had much bigger problems to worry about then the front door and that was the quickly disintegrating relationship between me and my beloved father. Whenever I asked him anything he would grunt a response usually barely understandable. I had gone days, weeks and even months without hearing one of his stories and it was terrible. That used to be what kept me going from day to day, it was what I really needed at times. The part that confused me the most wasn’t that he didn’t speak to me, it was this odd feeling I had. That feeling was something that stuck with me for days until I finally figured it out. My father wasn’t so much mad at me as he was depressed. He used to be the poker king among his friends but now he would lose every game. His friends would just sigh and the usual obnoxious occasions had turned to ghost-like murmurs. He had seemed to lose a lot of weight, his meals hadn’t taste as good as the used to and when I had awoken late in the night I could hear faint sobs in his room. I didn’t know how to react; at the time I hadn’t known he was feeling guilty or that his life-long dream had been slowly slipping away. So the days went by and my sight had become stronger and stronger, while my father had continued to fall prisoner to his own dark emotions.
When I had awoken that morning I could see everything. My vision was just slightly blurred but that had cleared up within the hour. I decided that this was going to be the day that I would finally go outside. Despite all my fears; my shaking hands and my chattering teeth, I had known that if I didn’t go out that morning, tomorrow may not hold the same possibilities. I had gently lowered myself into my wheelchair making sure it didn’t roll from under me. This day had to be perfect; I couldn’t let anything go wrong. Today was the day I would finally get to see the singing birds, the large oak trees, the fluffy white clouds and best of all I would get to see my grass covered hills. I remember being so excited that morning; I called out to my father and the following silence assured me of his absence. I headed towards the curtains in the living room because the main door was still impossible for me to open. I knew there was something behind those curtains, some deep dark secret just waiting to be discovered.

Those curtains were huge; they were made of heavy material hanging all the way to the floor. The colour was a majestic scarlet, a colour that anywhere else meant danger, but to me it meant so much more that day. They were always drawn, the musty smell filled the air in our house but I never noticed it in the same way I had noticed it that day. That day the smell was overwhelming making it difficult for me to breathe as I drew the heavy curtains open. I felt like a theatrical presentation was about to begin; and boy was I right.
As I pulled the curtains apart desperately I was met by a scene so shocking, so horrible and do destructive I had found myself gasping for air. No there were no singing birds, no large oak trees, and no fluffy white clouds. But what truly tore apart my heart, what really struck me hard was the ground. Not luscious green, not filled with razor sharp blades of grass, not smelling of the early morning or wet from the dew. No, the ground was sinister, foreboding and barren. As I looked up at the sky I found that it was not clear and blue but cold, bitter and with no trace of these soft, comforting pillows called clouds. Instead of large oak trees there were monstrous buildings, blending in with the scenery, they were huge tubular structures with no opening windows, no balconies and seemingly no life. A bit beyond these alien atrocities I had seen, instead of flying birds and oddly shaped cars, boxes used for transportation plain and spewing exhausts of cruel conformity as they slid by. I reluctantly opened the door which seemed to be the back entrance to our house, which I later found out, was one of the few left in the whole country. The air outside was so full of tension and static that it made all the cells in body crave the musty air of our little house. I had felt so out of place, so lost, so helpless as I cautiously drove around the building making sure I knew exactly where my house was at all times. As I slowly passed street after street I realized that there was no such thing as flowers, no such thing as nature, but more disturbingly I found that there was no such thing as human emotions, not even one person said hello to me or asked me if I was lost, or offered to land a hand when my wheelchair got stuck on a rock or in a ditch. I didn’t understand it, where were the grass-filled hills? Where were the young lovers or the playful children? Suddenly I felt a need for my father, I felt like a child again and for the first time in my life, I felt crippled.
I had quickly headed home thinking that my dad ought to be home by that time. I had seriously needed to talk to him about all the lies, the stories, the twenty years of deception. Sure enough he was home shortly after I had come back. I told him I needed to speak to him and he just solemnly nodded. I later suspected that he had known all along that this day would come. I also figured out that that was the reasoning behind his depression the past two years during which time I had been regaining my sight. At that point he sat me down and started to explain everything to me. He had told me that the country had been selected as the first ever place where an experiment this big would be held. The whole country was run by a magnetic force field changing the ecosystem completely. The plants had all died out because of the lack of sunlight which had been replaced by what appeared to be a giant heat lamp. Along with the plants all the rodents and insects that had once relied on the plants also died out. As the rodents died out as did the larger animals which used them as food supply and so on until all the animals had been eliminated. This had its bonuses, no more mice and rodents destroying houses, no more disease carrying insects and no a lot less picnics receiving uninvited guests. But the bonuses did not outweigh the negative aspect for there where a lot of jobs that had been eliminated, anything that had to do with agriculture and animals went to waste. Sure there were new jobs in the maintenance of the force fields and creation of the artificially flavored foods, which explained the lack of texture in my fathers’ meals. Unfortunately the new jobs did not do well compensating for all the jobs that had been lost, the rate of unemployment increased and the starvation rate sky-rocketed. The only animals that had survived where home-owned pets such as dogs cats and certain forms of bunny-rabbits and hamsters.
My father had sighed and took a long pause from his explaining giving me a moment to realize that I had been grinding my teeth the whole time. I had a range of emotions at that pulsed through my body like electricity in a closed circuit. I hated my father for feeding me lies and keeping me in the dark for so many years, but at the same time I admired that he had wanted so much to allow me to know the world that he grew up in. My father continued explaining about how the immigration policies changed and how emigration was banned. Driving was no longer the same thing, you didn’t need to know how to drive just how to start and stop the constantly moving boxes at the necessary places. It made things much more efficient but a lot less private. He had explained the sudden depression people had faced; he explained all the new laws that were put in place. Among those laws was one that affected our family more than any other, especially me. It was the law that noting of nature was to be kept because it affected the atmosphere within the household and the government experiment was compromised. My father decided to disobey that rule and was found out; the punishment was decided in relation to how much natural stuff was found in the household.

My father had kept a lot of things in the house, and had to pay a hefty fine, but the cops were cruel and instead of taking it to trail they decided to deal with him on the spot. To make matters worse the idea was to punish someone that my father cared for more then he cared for himself and that person happened to be me. They put one laser shock into my eyes and a short statement about how I would regain my sight within twenty years and they left.
I was furious at my father at that point. I had hated him at that moment more then I had every hated anything in my life. I somehow knew he wasn’t the primary cause of my blindness and yet it was because of him that everything happened, he was the one keeping the stuff at his house, and he was the one that had lied to me through all those year. At that time anger and hatred where spewing out of me, curses, foul statement and useless grunts of dissatisfaction. I felt sorry for my father later on, I knew I was being to harsh on him and he couldn’t keep up with all the tears he was wiping from his face as I shot out those foul expressions and pointed the blame finger. He had been muttering apologies about how he was only trying to do things for my good and that he loved me and did truly care for me. I believed none of it at the time. I didn’t want to believe it at the moment. I knew somewhere deep inside that he was telling the truth but it just hadn’t mattered to me.
I eventually calmed down and another questioned dawned upon me. If everything was taken away from him when the raided hid house, where did he get the props for his stories that he always gave me? I had asked him and he simply stood up and tapped the floorboards underneath one of the carpets in the living room. Removing the floorboards swiftly and quietly I was faced with a box. When he opened the box I had found that it was divided into two segments, one had non-living things while the other had living ones. The side with non-living things had many musical stuff cassette players with small speakers and scattered all around it where tapes labeled things like: ocean, birds and the sway of trees. I realized that these must have been the tapes he played for me when he said he was opening a window. I started noticing how much detail my father had put into creating this world for me. Other things in the box included books about plants, which held the tried oak leaves and roses that he had given my mom when they had dated, incents, questions on ethics and childhood quizzes dealing with herbs and the water cycle. The other side of the box had a huge light over it, it was a heat lamp, which I was surprised didn’t set the cardboard box on fire. It had contained things like small amounts of flowers, seeds from fruits, bark from trees, and my most beloved part of Mother Nature; grass. I ran my hand along the warm bristles of the amazing grass; at that point I had broken down and started to cry. I didn’t want to be part of that world, that mechanical field of broken lives and inhuman hearts. I wanted to go back to the way things were in my father’s stories; I wanted things to be colorful, to be happy, and to be meaningful. I wanted to be in a world where love still was the most beautiful part of nature and where children’s innocence was a gift not a fault. I wanted to go back to my world of fantasy and I didn’t care whether I was being deceived, lied to and scammed.
My father took out his old handkerchief; it was worn tattered and faded in colour but I gladly took it anyway. While I wept my father closed the back door, shut the blinds and covered the box. I dried some of the tears away and opened the box again taking out bits of grass, the sharpness feeling familiar on my palm. I moved from the wheelchair back onto the couch, took a deep breath and picked up the handkerchief tying it over my eyes tightly. And so I sat there, on my couch with that old tattered piece of cloth covering my eyes, a few pieces of my beloved grass in my tightly closed hands, and the dried streaks my tears had left still visible from under the cloth. I genuinely smiled and in a shaky voice I asked “Daddy, would you tell me a story?”

Hope it wasn't too long...:)

Wonderful

I loved it. The prose is fluid and tight, the story carrying me from the first line to the last. The best praise i can give is to say that i wish i'd writen it.
A quick question. How long is the piece. I had to post a 2000 word piece in three seperate parts because gteh site only allows 1000 word a piece. Can this be got around by breaking the piece up and submiting the pieces as replys to the original. Actually as i write this i recon the answer must be "yes" it just seems to make sence.

Thanks

I'm really glad you enjoyed it I'm quite self-conscious about my writing so it feels amazing to get positive feed-back.
This story is close to 4000 words so i pretty much had to break it up or else there would be no way i can post it all.

I like this. I read it over it a long time ago and never commented, but, well, the whole 'self-conscious' thing makes me think you're still in the insecure stages of writing. So, I won't give any editorial advice, instead say that you have strength. Keep going, keep writing, and good luck.

I loved it. Thanks for submitting it; it really made me think about some things, and that's my favourite part of reading anything. There were a few errors here and there, like "incents" rather than "incense", but nothing so terrible as to ruin the reading experience.

Back