• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Gypsy

third man girl

Thank you, Tugger, for giving me the courage to leap, when I was this close to giving up.

This poem is about one my characters.

The Gypsy

He sings to the rhythm of the horse’s gentle trot
He sings as the caravans wheel in.
He tickles me with silly jokes and laughter
I tickle him with soft hair on his skin.

He blinds me with a crystal ball of vision
He blinds me with his cool athletic grace.
He taunts me with his rugged sweat and power
I taunt him with saddle-soap and lace . . .

He bites with snarls of anger, raging from his chest
He bites me; breathing, nibbling on my lobes.
He dances me in meadows where the ponies toss their heads
He dances me with gold bands on my toes.

He caresses me with whispers of his fingers on my breast
He caresses with a tight grip of my wrists.
He catches, when I run, when I stumble, when I fall
And he catches my breath with a kiss.

He gathers me lush blooms of wildflowers
He gathers me in the bower of his arms.
He unlocks the door with the key to the cage
He unlocks my heart with his charms.

Third Man Girl

*momentarily speechless*

Wow! :) Where did THAT come from? So different from what you've posted before. It's incredible. :) And, I'm so damn PROUD of you for posting it!!

It's hard for me to pick out a favorite part, because it is all so even. At first reading, I am drawn to the third and fourth stanzas because of all the sensual imagery. mmmm... And then culminating in that wonderful last line of the fourth:

And he catches my breath with a kiss.

That is, well ... *speechless again* ;)

I'm sure my favorite lines will change upon further readings.

So, Writer, may I tuck THIS ONE away? :) :) :)

tugger said:
Where did THAT come from? So different from what you've posted before.

Presumably I haven't written enough to develop a style yet?

It came from, gosh, don't know. *Think - Rewind* Tried to write a poem last night about the guy with the twin brother, but it didn't work; it became a garbled mix of several characters; then I wrote the line about the crystal ball; then I thought of my 'own' gypsy (who is really more of a showboy(don't know if you have them in The States?)); anyway, I asked a colleague at work if gypsy men looked at crystal balls; he thought that perhaps only the women did, while the men went out 'stealing' (sorry if this isn't pc to gypsies - no offence meant); and, of course, I ended up with the Gypsy 'stealing' the girl, in the poem. Sorry, if this makes no sense.

tugger said:
And, I'm so damn PROUD of you for posting it!!

Thank you. Seriously.

I am drawn to the third and fourth stanzas because of all the sensual imagery. mmmm...

Hey. You want to try the saddle-soap thing ;)

So, Writer, may I tuck THIS ONE away?

Of course. Get tucking ;)

Third Man Girl

Thanks, Writer, for the explanations. They DO make sense... well, sort of, in that endearing, rambling way you have for explanations. ;)

Presumably I haven't written enough to develop a style yet?

Well, I think a good writer can find their voice in various styles. I consider it an attribute to be versatile when it comes to styles. Just sticking to one style all the time would get boring, I would think. I do think you have written enough that you have begun to find your voice, which is, of course, much more important. A writer's voice, that elusive thing that comes from the gut, can get stifled by fears, but it's freed by passion. I think yours is beginning to shout through quite clearly, thank you. That's another reason I'm proud of you for being courageous. Your writer's voice shouldn't be silent. Please, don't ever try to stifle it. Will you please promise me that? :)

Thank you. Seriously.

You are most welcome. Seriously. Did I mention that I'm very proud of you right now?

Hey. You want to try the saddle-soap thing?

Only with the lace, please. ;)

Get tucking

Actually, I think I could use a good tuck. :D

Oh, one more thing. I really don't know what you mean by "showboy." Could you please explain. Thanks.

tugger said:
well, sort of, in that endearing, rambling way you have for explanations. ;)

You only slipped in that 'endearing' word to distract me from the 'rambling' one. Didn't you? Didn't you? :mad: :)

tugger said:
Will you please promise me that? :)

Okay. Promise :eek:

Showboys. You probably have them in the States, too. They're the travelling men who transport the fairs around the country. Travelling fairs; travelling shows. Yes? We tend to talk about the shows coming to town, rather than the fairs. I don't know about the English, because they are a breed apart ;) They have galas and fetes and all sorts of wonderful things, because they get all the sunny weather :( Anyway, the Scots get the showboys. These young lads are wonderfully attractive to females, mainly because the local boys resent any incomers and the parents are aware that teenage pregnancies will rocket during the the two midsummer weeks when the showboys arrive ;) I think it's the smell of the fairground grease that does the trick - with the attraction I mean, not the pregnancies. :eek:

Mmmmmm. fairground grease. mmmmmmmmmm

Rambling again. Better get some sleep. ;)

Third Man Girl

Back