• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Himuro Legend (Short Story; Not complete!) Please read and, if you wish, comment!

Hi everyone!

The following short story is about a Japenese haunted house, and a young man wishing to explore it to find Mr Osataka, a researcher who is writing a book about the house. He is fascinated by his legends, and Mr Osataka is staying there for a few days to note down his research.

The following story is not complete, but I was wondering whether it is worth continuing or whether it is complete rubbish. Please give me your opinions honestly, but also remember this is not complete nor is it edited, so there may be a few mistakes etcetera.

Please also remember that I have started this short story on Microsoft Word, so any italics or difference of fonts have not been included.

The Himuro Legend
- The Strangling Ritual -

Tae felt the cold wind pelting his face as he slowly stepped up the cobble stairway, the rain spat and the clouds shifted above. In front of him, the Himuro mansion loomed, and he knew he was there; he had arrived. It was true. The Himuro mansion did exist, Mr Osataka was right. His legends could be true …
Tae’s heart thudded, thudded, thudded, as he continued up the steps. The mansion’s curved, Japanese roof intimidated him, but he dared to go on. Intrigue and curiosity besotted him to a point where it was no longer controllable.
Mr Osataka and the legend of the Himuro mansion … the Strangling Ritual … I must go on …
Tae reached the top of the steps and an old wooden bridge, unstable by the looks of it, lay before him. His heart continued to thud, thud, and thud. The wind continued to howl through the trees, and the bridge swayed before him.
In the wind, a whisper: “The Strangling Ritual … free yourself, the rope marks are appearing!”
Tae placed his foot on the bridge.
Free yourself from the Himuro mansion!
I must go on …
He placed his other foot on the bridge. An immediate silence occurred. The wind stopped. The rain stopped spitting. The Himuro mansion became more evident than ever, its curved roof screaming pain and history, a deadly secret …
Tae slowly crossed the bridge, shaking. Mr Osataka … was here … The Himuro mansion became larger as he drew near; thud, thud, and he silently reached the door, thud, thud, with his knees shaking, thud, and thud. And thud …
His pale hand reached out for the door handle …
THE STRANGLING RITUAL! GET AWAY!
And he pulled the door. It creaked open, ever so slowly, and as he looked inside he became very aware of the enclosing darkness beyond. There were holes in the floor, with bloodstained kimonos hanging on broken doors.
Tae dropped Mr Osataka’s letter on the floor in amazement, I am here, and he stepped into the Himuro mansion, thud. The door slammed shut behind him, and he immediately became concealed in the dark, dangerous black.
The Strangling Ritual has begun …
“Osataka?”
There was a silence, a black silence, and then, out of nowhere, a scream pierced through the broken timbers of the house. Then the painful silence returned.
Thud … thud …
“Here …” Whispers.
Tae stepped anywhere into the black, holding his arms out and tearing cobwebs.
Another scream.
Tae turned around slowly, and drew nearer to the source of the scream, his heart thudding slowly in his shaking ribcage.
“Osataka? …”
Closer, closer … Osataka … closer …
The darkness lightened a little, illuminating black objects slightly and casting shadows across the demolished house.
“Osataka?”
A long, dark hallway spread before him, long dangling Ropes tumbling from the ceiling, blood stains on some, some torn, dangling … deadly.
The Strangling Ritual …
Tae’s eyes were filled with fright and slowly dripped with tears. Bloodstains patched and dotted the floor. He crept slowly, down the dark hallway, through the dangling Ropes, hanging from the old, wooden beams above. The Ropes sled from Tae’s body, and with every rope he heard the same whisper: “The Himuro ritual …the rope marks …the mirror …”
Tae reached the end of the hallway, thud, and his black hair trembled helplessly on his head: his whole body quivered uncontrollably …

Visions suddenly filled his mind, true nightmares …

Walking down the roped, dark hallway, Mr Osataka held a candle in his hand.
“What are the Ropes for?” Kimoa squealed.
“The Himuro legend suggests these Ropes were used for the purposes of the Strangling Ritual …” A flash of light.

Osataka sprinted down the hallway with a camera. He fumbled it helplessly in his hands, and brought it to his face.
“Where are you, Himuro, where are you? Let me set you free, where are you?”
Osataka looked into the mirror and dropped the camera …
HIMUROOOOOOOOO!
A flash of light filled the mirror, the hallway.

Tae opened his eyes, and looked below the mirror, and to his sheer terror, he realised. The camera lay on its side. Tae, shaking, picked it up.
The Camera Obscurer …
Reluctantly, shuddering, he looked into the mirror. A shining white hand pressed his shoulder, and with it, hundreds of hands and faces swarmed toward him, and screaming, in the mirror, he was brought to the Ropes …

Okay, here is the bit that follows, please remember that this is oly a draft so if any spelling mistakes or anything that seems daft to you is in there, please accept my apologies :) Also, please note I have changed some fonts in this text, but it has not shown up in the text below. Okay, here we are ...

(Continuation of The Himuro Legend: The Strangling Ritual) ...

Sizuki’s heart turned to ice. She slowly crossed the wooden bridge, wondering, terrified, if her brother was here. Her frozen heart pounded rhythmically in her chest, as she wondered whether Osataka’s legends were true.
THE STRANGLING RITUAL! GET AWAY!
The door stood before her, and she noticed the deadly, haunted silence around her. She looked at her feet and saw a letter; she bent, quivering, and picked it up.

Dear Tae,

I have heard you are very interested in my research, and I have selected some lucky people to help me continue this. I am currently trying to prove the Himuro mansion legends, and I have been there for three days now.
If you are interested in helping me, please come to the mansion and I will be there to greet you.

Yours Sincerely,
Mr Osataka.

My brother … was here …
Sizuki switched on her flashlight, and opened the creaking door. It screamed. She stepped inside the mansion, and the door swung shut behind her, leaving her in a flashlight-penetrated darkness. She turned right, her heart pumping quickly, her breast swelling with panic. She felt the presence of death and evil. She felt fear.
Past the bloodstained kimonos … down the roped hallway … toward … the Mirror … the camera …

Visions suddenly filled Sizuki’s mind, true nightmares …

Tae was taken to the Ropes by hundreds of people. He screamed and screamed. He fumbled for the camera, and brought it to his face in panic and terror. He pressed a button with his shaking finger, and a large flash of light filled the surroundings. The white, shining people disbursed at once, and in a delirious sense of terrified relief, Tae accidentally dropped the camera …

“YOU CANNOT GET AWAY! THE STRANGLING RITUAL MUST BE COMPLETED! YOU ARE THE SACRIFICE!” …

With an up welling of horror, Sizuki looked below the Mirror. The Camera Obscurer lay on its side, and she picked it up. Without looking into the Mirror, she turned around. A roped hallway: no more. With that, she turned to her right, and slowly pushed a broken door, hung upon by a bloodstained kimono. The door screamed with ancientness. Thud. Thud. And thud.
The Strangling Ritual …you cannot escape what must be done …
Inside the room, pieces of paper were scattered all over the floor. Sizuki pinpointed them with her flashlight.

17th December 1984 12.03am

I can’t get out of this closet; it’s Himuro. I suppose I am going to write until I die in this darkness …

Notes like this were scattered all over the room, and she knew from the handwriting that Mr Osataka was responsible for them. More bloodstains were dripped over the floor here, and she very much dreaded to think whom it belonged to.
Thud.
A scream suddenly rang from behind her, and, lifting the camera to her face, she twisted around. Nobody.
Thud.
Trembling, she looked around the room. A cupboard sliding door was slightly ajar. Fingerprints were smudged on it. Bloody fingerprints.
You are the Sacrifice …
Sizuki silently stepped toward the door, the camera at her face, breathing little gasps, her hand outstretched.
You are the Sacrifice … the Strangling Ritual … the Mirror … Himuro … Ropes …
The air started to buzz in her ears as she drew closer, her heart started to pump faster and faster, her feet continued to move but she wanted to stop … her trembling continued and worsened and wouldn’t stop …
Her hand grabbed the handle of the sliding door.
Thud.
She slid it open.
Sacrifice …
Mr Osataka lay dead inside, black rope marks on his hands and neck, dried blood everywhere on his body.
A hand touched her shoulder. Ice.
Slowly, dreading what was there, the hairs on her neck erect, she turned her head … slowly … slowly … ice …
“You are the Sacrifice.” Whispers.
Mr Osataka stood there in a bloody kimono, white. Ice cold.
Sizuki immediately flashed the camera. A scream, a howling, wailing scream pierced the room.
“YOU ARE THE SACRIFICE!” Whispers, harsh whispers … the Ropes …
Another flash of light, white, pure light … an obscurer of evil.
“You cannot get away …” Deadening whispers haunted the room.
Sizuki fell to the ground and dropped the camera as the spirit rushed through her body. She reached out for it - it was just there … reaching … reaching …
“You will be hung by the Ropes … Himuro will get you …”
A final flash of light penetrated the darkness.
A final wailing scream echoed about the house.
Mr Osataka was freed. What had happened to Tae?
“My brother … please … no …” She barely uttered those words.

Past the winding corridors, through broken walls and down crumbling stairways … through evil presences and fearful sounds … the camera firm against her face and arms pressed against her quivering body …
The candles flicker gently as she traverses the corridor. Slowly, slowly. Anywhere she moves in the empty darkness. Anywhere the spirits seek her. And as she looks down at her hands she sees the rope marks.
She moves down the corridor, the flickering corridor, I’m lost, and she reaches a dead end. Until she sees the handle … and pushes open the door.
And the spirits seek her. Anywhere. She doesn’t know the spirits are leading her to the ritual …

Outside, the trees waved solemnly. The gardens were probably a beautiful place once, but now they were haunted by evil and fear. The buzz filled the air: the buzz of death; the buzz of destruction; the buzz of pain.
Sizuki fled down the grass path with her little flashlight, its light becoming swallowed by the engulfing darkness. Now she knew. Now she had seen. She now knew what Himuro had done. She now knew why the house had turned this way. She looked down at the dusty, little diary-extract in her hand that she had found in a drawer in the mansion: ...

... Dear Diary,

I do not care if I am not supposed to write in red because I am. Whether you like it or not I don’t care. These are the final moments of my life. The Strangling Ritual begins in exactly ten minutes now. They only need one more child to complete the ritual this year. They have already Sacrificed seven adults and four children this year. Now they only need one more child. One person for each month … seven adults, five children. I don’t understand all the reasons as to why we have to do this ritual each year. Daddy (Himuro) said it is to free the souls of our ancestors. He says that if the ritual is ever broken then it will have to continue eternally, and the person that was Sacrificed incorrectly would haunt the mansion forever. Well, I don’t care. Mikoniko and Tashikine have killed Daddy two hours ago. The final ritual has already been performed …

And so the extract continued.

Sizuki tumbled down the path, following a new blood trail. Her heart continued to beat soundlessly in her chest, and she felt its vibrations in the silence of the icy dark. The camera was pressed to her face, hard, and left prints in her skin.
In front of her now was a long path of gradually increasing steps, and on either side was a long forest of trees, dead trees, with Ropes hanging from their leafless branches. And at the end of the steps was a huge Japanese shelter, its roof curved and dull in the night. The damp wind spat in the moonlight, and the purple clouds hovered somewhere above. Tae was here!
She was close now … very close. She could sense Tae’s presence and the presence of the Strangling Ritual . She could taste the presence of death.
A deep humming sound from the shelter echoed around the trees. Its pitch was low and thunderous. To the ear, it was a murderous sound. It was an evil sound … and the trees. And she could hear the rumbling. And she could feel the rumbling. And she could feel herself getting closer … closer …
She was the final Sacrifice. For years and years the house had been searching for the Sacrifices … and after Sizuki, it would begin all over again. She was the seventh adult Sacrifice. Five children had already been used this year. So the only way to destroy it would be …
Sizuki began up the first step. Thud. The trees swayed and the rustling of Ropes never ceased. The rumbling became louder, and louder, and louder, and thud. There were nineteen more steps to go … and thud. Sizuki cried out in terror. She was absolutely petrified. Her knees shook, and her eyes were wide with horror. A low, thunderous rumbling: “THE STRANGLING RITUAL ! YOU ARE THE SACRIFICE! YOU COME TO US IN THE NAME OF HIMURO! YOU ARE THE SACRIFICE!” Chanting over and over.
She reached the fifth step. The evil chanting continued. Tae? The presence … the feeling … overwhelmed her. She raised the camera to the shelter. The chanting became even more monstrous. “YOU ARE THE SACRIFICE!” A white flash illuminated the forest around her for a split second. She looked at the printed photo. And there, she saw inside the mansion … Tae was hung by a rope.
“YOU ARE THE SACRIFICE! THE STRANGLING RITUAL ! YOU ARE THE SACRIFICE!” Closer now, closer, closer, she could feel the presence of the ritual … Tae? Tae! She looked at the photo in horror, and made a mad dash toward the shelter.
“YOU ARE THE SACRIFICE!”
The Strangling Ritual … Get away! … You didn’t listen to us … you are going to die here … in the Mirror …
Sizuki reached the sixteenth step. The chanting continued to enthral her with a haunting sense of dismay.
“YOU COME TO US IN THE NAME OF HIMURO!” Sizuki stopped. She realised that this was going to cost her, her life. She dropped the camera in a crazy panic …

Kimoa, Osataka’s companion, had seen many things in her life, but she had never seen this. Osataka was dead, killed by the white, shining man, Himuro, Osataka called him, by name.
But as she crept up from beneath his body, which she had been hiding beneath for several hours now, she crept toward the entrance, down the hall, through the Ropes. It was held by a powerful spirit, and would not let her go.
Wailing, she went back down the hall, and looked into the Mirror.

Visions suddenly filled her mind, true nightmares …

Sizuki dropped the camera and dashed into the shelter … a body was hung, and she screamed. With that, she dashed back out of the shelter, and a chanting echoed through a forest, “YOU CANNOT ESCAPE WHAT MUST BE DONE!” Over and over.
Sizuki picked up the camera in a mad sprint on her way down a set of stairs. Back through winding corridors … through broken walls, all the while muttering, “They must be destroyed … the people in the Mirror …” A flash of light.

Sizuki looked into the Mirror, holding the camera to her face. “Where are you, Himuro, where are you? Let me set you free, where are you?” Sizuki screamed into the Mirror. The man’s white hand, Himuro’s hand, touched her shoulder, and then hundreds of hands and faces swarmed toward her, and brought her to the Ropes …

To Kimoa’s utter horror, she realised. As she looked below the Mirror, the camera lay on its side …

It was Sizuki’s mistake. The ritual had only just begun …

tommydarascal 's previous entry was 20th October 2005 and his most recent activity on this forum was 6th August 2006. So unless he subscribed to this thread we probably won't hear from him.
It would be interesting if he rewrote and improved on this story.

Back