• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Inconvenient Truth

If our country isn't so great then why are people trying to come here in the first place? I am not against foreigners in the US at all.

Well, in my case I did not want to go to US but I was sent there. A business trip. And I will be avoiding going there as much as I can. You can not imagine the shame when they take your fingerprints :eek: No more business and clearly never ever a tourist in US! Thanks a lot!

And regarding the "foreigners" in US... Actually I do not understand how one kind of "foreigners" can be distinguished from another one since for me the whole American nation is one huge group of foreigners (in respect to native Indians, actually). So well, you are born there... But it still does not make you less foreign than the new immigrants. They are just some-50-or-200 years delayed in their arrival :D

It wasn't something that was "turned around" really. Here is the video I was taking about: DANGIT! it won't let me post a url because I haven't made 15 or more posts. If you are interested in seeing the video, go to youtube and type in "Al Gore Refused to Take Energy Reduction Pledge" because that is the title of the video.

I'll look for it. I am really curious.

In no way am I saying that I don't agree about cleaning up our planet. When people refer to the future and say, "Oh yeah, in 2 thousand more years we will have floating cars and everything will be all silver and shiny." I can't help but wonder if the human race will be around that long.

I am happy that we agree on that one :D

Money makes the world go 'round unfortunately. Don't get me started on America's economy! lol! As you are probably aware, the US is trillions of dollars in debt.

On which may I remark that only really the wealthiest can afford themselves to be in trillions of dollars in debt!
I do not buy that "debt" excuse!

They need to constantly build more roads and bridges and wider highways, because more people are popping up all over the place. Obviously 90% (just guessing) is from more women getting pregnant and having 4+ kids, but foreigners contribute to that growth when they come in and start families of their own;)

This is the point! You are investing in the wrong thing! Not in roads but in TRAINS one should invest! Believe me or not, here in Europe many of my friends even have no driving license just because it is easy to get by PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION (even if you are a mom+10 kids!) to ANYWHERE! And it does not matter if that is a foreign mother or a native European, they all will get from any point A to any point B, with all their kids, by train. Easy, friendly, safe!

So 100 people using one train vs. 100 people using 90 cars... Let's think... I guess, the train users are 100% environmentally friendlier!

Take care of the tax that you pay. You can obviously change your own state/country if you do not close your eyes on the wrong things. Those roads are built not because there is no other way. It is just because somebody managed to convince you that burning oil into CO2 by using a car is the only way to live.

But you should be aware that public transportation works in many countries, and it is beautiful! And it highly reduces the pollution per human being.

Well, in my case I did not want to go to US but I was sent there. A business trip. And I will be avoiding going there as much as I can. You can not imagine the shame when they take your fingerprints :eek: No more business and clearly never ever a tourist in US! Thanks a lot!

All I can say is that I am only 15 and like most Americans, have no real say in how they treat foreigners. Though I would like to know how they can make a fingerprint-taking experience so bad. (don't get me wrong, I am sure they can :rolleyes:)

And regarding the "foreigners" in US... Actually I do not understand how one kind of "foreigners" can be distinguished from another one since for me the whole American nation is one huge group of foreigners (in respect to native Indians, actually). So well, you are born there... But it still does not make you less foreign than the new immigrants. They are just some-50-or-200 years delayed in their arrival :D

*blinks* I think I pretty much said that... When I said "mutts" of the world, that's what I meant. You missed this part, "When I think of Americans, all I see is different types of people from all over the world. Aside from the people of Hispanic descent, everyone in America generated from somewhere over seas."

I'll look for it. I am really curious.

Lemme know what you think

On which may I remark that only really the wealthiest can afford themselves to be in trillions of dollars in debt!
I do not buy that "debt" excuse!

Well that is unforutunate because it is all too true. I told you not to get me started on our economy XD In doing so you have asked for my long-winded thoughts on the situation.

The US is TRILLIONS of dollars in debt. Foreign countries (mainly China) are giving us about 3 billion dollars a day just to keep our economy running.

I asked myself: "Does our government actually have any money? Money that is truly worth something or that isn't owed in debts?" Honestly, I don't think we do. The paper bills that we use on a day to day basis are supposed to represent gold in "vaults." There is not enough gold to be accounted for and the value of our dollar is plummeting. Literally, the government has printed too many bills and they simply aren't worth as much any more.

Somewhere in Germany less than a hundred years ago, their economy collapsed. It was literally cheaper to wipe your butt with a dollar bill than it was with toilet paper. It was literally cheaper to burn your money than it was to buy fire wood. You could go to the store with a wheel barrel full of money to buy a loaf of bread and, literally, the wheel barrel would be worth more than the money itself. Scary huh?

I think the US is heading towards a similar fate that will change the way we live. We could be headed for another Great Depression.

It used to be you could take a $20 gold eagle coin, go to a nice restaurant, have a good time out on the town, and stay at a nice hotel. Nowadays, you can take a $20 gold coin and do the same thing. Why? Because today, a $20 gold coin is worth about $800 dollars (and rising everyday). Why? Because our dollars are worth a lot less now so it takes more of them to be equivalent to that coin.

It is estimated that every familiy in the US would have to pay the government approximately $517,000 in their lifetime to help recover the debt. From the second you are born, you would already be "in debt" $123,000.

That's the best I can explain without writing the novel that would approprietly display all of my thoughts.

This is the point! You are investing in the wrong thing! Not in roads but in TRAINS one should invest! Believe me or not, here in Europe many of my friends even have no driving license just because it is easy to get by PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION (even if you are a mom+10 kids!) to ANYWHERE! And it does not matter if that is a foreign mother or a native European, they all will get from any point A to any point B, with all their kids, by train. Easy, friendly, safe!

Many of the big cities (i.e. New York) do have forms of public transportation. But we have already invested so much money in highways and such that it would be more expensive (and you could say more "harmful to the environment") to go through and tear everything up to build trains.

Take care of the tax that you pay. You can obviously change your own state/country if you do not close your eyes on the wrong things. Those roads are built not because there is no other way. It is just because somebody managed to convince you that burning oil into CO2 by using a car is the only way to live.

I don't even have to pay taxes yet since I am only 15, but I assure you that if the public wasn't so blind to the real problems they would agree with you and I. You have to understand that a lot of these tax payers don't KNOW the situation that we are in. They have never lived with public transportation and can't possibly understand all of its benifits. They don't think about the big picture and instead only think of their own lives. I don't know if they could comprehend what is going on in the same way that I am not sure if I know everything that is going on.

I think we agree on more things than we realize. Maybe we should feel a little bit better that at least two people in the world agree that we need to make some serious changes and sacrifices if we want to live on this planet for a long time. Politics aside, you and I have very similar views.

And my warmest congreatulations to Gore for the Nobel Prize. The US nation should be proud of having at least this single man who cares.

Disclaimer: I believe that each and every one of us should do what we can to act in an environmentally responsible and sustainable manner. (Sparkchaser eats organic where possible, recycles, conserves energy, and keeps a compost pile.)

[Rant]
I find it sad and alarming that the man that done has done more to polarize the issue of global warming (myth or otherwise) along political lines than anyone else has won the Nobel Peace Prize. The Burma monks deserve this far more than he did.

Al Gore is a megalomaniacal boob.
[/Rant]

Yes, well a lot of people seem to think so.

Me? I have decided that if Hillary Clinton (or Al Gore if he runs) gets elected president that I will be leaving the country. Any who wants is welcome to come with me;)

Well, I am happy that people here recognize the importance of being environmentally friendly. The only difference is that I do not have any association between Al Gore and politics, which people in US obviously have. For me, he is just an environmental guy from the movie.

I tried to look for his statement about not reducing of his emissions on the YouTube, instead I found this link related to the environment! That's good one, very sarcastic and cynical.

Just a different perspective found at smh.com.au

ONE of the world's foremost meteorologists has called the theory that helped Al Gore share the Nobel Peace Prize "ridiculous" and the product of "people who don't understand how the atmosphere works".

Dr William Gray, a pioneer in the science of seasonal hurricane forecasts, told a packed lecture hall at the University of North Carolina that humans were not responsible for the warming of the earth.

His comments came on the same day that the Nobel committee honoured Mr Gore for his work in support of the link between humans and global warming.

"We're brainwashing our children," said Dr Gray, 78, a long-time professor at Colorado State University. "They're going to the Gore movie [An Inconvenient Truth] and being fed all this. It's ridiculous."

At his first appearance since the award was announced in Oslo, Mr Gore said: "We have to quickly find a way to change the world's consciousness about exactly what we're facing."

Mr Gore shared the Nobel prize with the United Nations climate panel for their work in helping to galvanise international action against global warming.

But Dr Gray, whose annual forecasts of the number of tropical storms and hurricanes are widely publicised, said a natural cycle of ocean water temperatures - related to the amount of salt in ocean water - was responsible for the global warming that he acknowledges has taken place.

However, he said, that same cycle meant a period of cooling would begin soon and last for several years.

"We'll look back on all of this in 10 or 15 years and realise how foolish it was," Dr Gray said.

During his speech to a crowd of about 300 that included meteorology students and a host of professional meteorologists, Dr Gray also said those who had linked global warming to the increased number of hurricanes in recent years were in error.

He cited statistics showing there were 101 hurricanes from 1900 to 1949, in a period of cooler global temperatures, compared to 83 from 1957 to 2006 when the earth warmed.

"The human impact on the atmosphere is simply too small to have a major effect on global temperatures," Dr Gray said.

He said his beliefs had made him an outsider in popular science.

"It bothers me that my fellow scientists are not speaking out against something they know is wrong," he said. "But they also know that they'd never get any grants if they spoke out. I don't care about grants."

------------------

I have often wondered how humans could make such a big and sudden impact on something that is way bigger than most people can grasp... This is just another scientists view

Just a different perspective found at smh.com.au

ONE of the world's foremost meteorologists has called the theory that helped Al Gore share the Nobel Peace Prize "ridiculous" and the product of "people who don't understand how the atmosphere works".

I know many more respectful people who oppose to the Global Warming. Actually, I am myself a scientist, although not in meteorological field. However, I find those "respectful professors" very strange.

First, they must admit that they also do not know how does atmosphere work. (Or do they? :cool: )

Second, I find such comments rather as coming from jealousy - here, poor respectful prof. worked all his life , and there comes Gore, who is not a prof. but gets a Nobel Prize in the prof's field! Isn't it devastating?!

Actually the above behavior I know from a close look - I am currently in academy, and unfortunately, scientists may get so low as denying simple evidences (Take for example the Nazi's scientists who might have been good scientists but who called Einstein's theories a fraud!)

So in the place of those professors, I would be very very careful. Because none of them really knows what is going on. But what we all know are the trends of the CO2 going up and that the ice on our planet is melting.

Also such "global warming denial" logic itself sounds funny - this prof. basically says:

"the CO2 is not the cause, there is no global warming, so let produce more of CO2 and see if my theory is correct.... "

15 years later when it's too late:

"UUUUUPs, I did a mistake in my calculations.... "

And let me please know who is funding his research... If this is some US oil company, hm, then I doubt such science.

You know, whether:

a. Global warming is happening and we are responsible and can do something to turn the tide
b. Global warming is happening and we are responsible and can't do anything to turn the tide
c. Global warming is happening and we are not responsible but can turn the tide
d. Global warming is happening and we are not responsible and can't do anything to turn the tide
e. Global warming isn't happening

is no reason why we should not act in an environmentally responsible and sustainable manner.

I have yet to find anyone that opposes that statement.

I find it sad and alarming that the man that done has done more to polarize the issue of global warming (myth or otherwise) along political lines than anyone else has won the Nobel Peace Prize. The Burma monks deserve this far more than he did.

Gore, nomatter what you think of him (i dont like him much either), has done a lot to spread awareness about the issue. Thats why he was nominated. Personally i would not give it to him.

The events in Burma came to late for the nomination to the nobel peace prize this year but they are most likely good candidates for next year.

Back