• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The inner circles of the literary world...I want in!

Bob Magness

I love reading. I enjoy non-fiction and just about every genre of fiction. Over a decade ago I dropped out of college after 60 hours because I was disillusioned with the path I had undertaken. I was a biomedical science major. I am 33 now and a warrant officer in the US Army and plan to retire in another 10 years. I have returned to college, via the internet, and am now an English major. When I retire from the Army I would like to either be a freelance copywriter or be a copyeditor with a small publishing house. I’ll have a savings and a pension so I’m not worried about starting at the bottom. I love reading and writing and it is what I want to do with the second half of my life.

Since I made this decision my reading choices have become much more eclectic, spanning just about every genre. About every other book I read is pulled from the list of classics. But still, I feel like I am not “in the loop” in terms of the literary world. Reading through the 2008 Nobel Prize in Literature thread I find that I don’t recognize any of the names but several people here have already read the works of many of the nominees. Where do you come across them? From where is the word of mouth coming? Are there literary journals out there that are giving you the heads up?

I appreciate any leads.

Back