• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Most Whackest Books

Hmm...I liked 6 of the books on your list! ^^ Didn't absolutely LOVE any of them except for Fahrenheit 451. How can you hate a book like that? It was so cool to watch someone discover literature for the first time, and Bradbury did an amazing job with it.
But anyway, I thought these were terribly overrated:
The Oddyssey by Homer
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Ah, but by the same token, how can you say that 'Pride & Prejudice' is overrated? You may not like it, but by any reasonable standard it is a timeless classic, both as social satire and as a study of human nature (which really doesn't change much!)

I'd include in my argument 1984 from the original poster's list too - not everyone's 'cup of tea', but surely not overrated?

overrated books?

I actually liked A Million Little Pieces by Frey. I don't care if it was partially true, or not - that argument was purely a commercial marketing one imo.

What I liked about it was:
- the writing style, you just felt the anger through the words but also how it was written
- it's rawness. Painful at times but I do believe that drugs get your mind to eventually want to self-destruct and he told it straight.

It should be a must read for teenagers as a deterrent.

Missy

I actually like a few of those books you mentioned (especially 1984), but I agree 100% with the Da Vinci Code being highly overrated. It was well-researched, and while some of the theories presented were interesting, the writing was completely amateur IMO.

I recently read John le Carre's The Constant Gardener and I thought it was just a big old bore. I don't know why anyone would read his books voluntarily, but he has millions of fans and every book he writes becomes an instant international bestseller. I would say the same thing about For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway. Again, I don't get the appeal.

Last, 100 Years of Solitude. I know it's supposed to be a masterpiece and the whole book is meant to be a metaphor for the history of Columbia or whatever, but I just found the whole premise a bit strange, and really confusing. I kept getting all of the Joses and Aurelianos mixed up.

Just my 2 cents... and congratulations eyezonme for finally making a post that wasn't completely offensive. Gold star! [/sarcasm]

Back