• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The New Republic

SFG75

I recently stumbled across their website and was immediately hooked. I subscribed to the print edition and get access to their archives which goes back to 1914. I'm reading every article I can find on the Vietnam War. I started with articles in 1954. I'm now up to 1964. Amazing how they were "spot on" regarding the effectiveness of the South Vietnam puppet-state and how it was viewed by the peasants. When I reach the last article from 1975, I will do the same exercise with Afghanistan.

Does one see any variety of viewpoints, pro/con?
In general I avoid political magazines, so I'm asking.

Charles-Good question. By and large, the articles from the 50's were critical of the French, but there was wide disagreement about how to best remedy the situation. Solutions offered included a huge role for NATO and the U.N. after the partition, as well as "convincing" France to get rid of Bao Dai and to institute a democratic structure. Obviously, the French went with the former with horrid results. With greater U.S. involvement, the articles once again, focus more on strategies and solutions, as opposed to debating about whether or not we should have been involved in the first place. It appears that to them, being there was an item of necessity. In that sense, yes, it is political. Presidents do not fare well in most of their articles, so they do take a rather skeptical approach to politics. The populist and labor movements do not get a free pass, and business owners take their lumps as well in articles about the minimum wage, safety regulations, and shootings at mining camps.

There is also some real good "social" items that aren't political in nature. I read a ton of articles about John Dewey's pragmatism and he authored a few articles as well on education and society. Right now, they have a great write up on Louis Brandeis. If you don't like The Nation, The American Spectator, or Mother Jones, this would be a good publication for you.

Oh, do check out their books section. They have some good reviews and general book interest articles as well.

http://www.tnr.com/articles/books-and-arts

Back