• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The New Thomas Covenant books.

mgarratty

Spotted this in the book shop yesterday - has anybody read the new book yet? - any good?

I think I may give it a go some time soon - though I don't have the long school summer holidays I had when I ploughed trough the first lot.

Any body else thinking they may give this a go?

Mark

It's been years since I've read that series. I just read the first chapter of The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant on Stephen R. Donaldson's website and it's starts off well. But I'll wait till it shows up at the library to read it.

I've got it on order from the book club, but might wait til all 4 are out before i read it.
Could it not have been written in 3 like the first chronicles? bloody money-grabbing stinking publishers....

Yes - I was a bit miffed to find out that it will be in a series of 4 ( an easy way to increase ones revenue by a third) - I wonder how long it will be before the 4th is out though.

It's always a bit disconcerting when you finish an early book in a series not knowing when the nest will be available.

I think I'll try the first one soon and then decide wether to read the rest.

I had hardbacks of the first trilogy when i was about 12, but mother said my books had to go to make room for my brother. I always regret not keeping them (esp. when i see them on ebay for more than i could possibly afford) so i'm getting all 4 and i'll worry about if the are any good later :)

I'm confused.

Didn't Covenant die at the end of the second series?

It's been awhile since I've read them, but that's my recollection, and it gave the series a very satisfying ending, I thought.

Irene Wilde

Thank you for clarifying. Don't know if I want to devote the time to another series. So many books to read and so little time, but it's an interesting thought to wonder where the saga goes next.

Irene Wilde

Just finished the first book. He really has just picked up where he left off and again the Land is very different yet the same. I was on our library's waiting list (still haven't been contact, either!) when I saw a signed edtion for 15% off at Waldenbooks. I have always bought his books in hardcover (or gotten them as gifts, such as his last collection of short stories). It was well worth it.

Concern: with three books to go and "in progress" will Donaldson live to finish? Always a concern. I'd read long ago that he'd lost the only copy of his manuscript to The One Tree (2d book of the 2d Chronicles) on an airplane! It would be a shame but one never knows ...

The first set was a little dark wasn't it? I bought them way back when they came out in paperback the first time and didn't finish them. Are they worth the effort?

I'd say yes. You're reading what I consider his best work, the Mordant books, so if you enjoy heroes/heroines who are--how to say it?--slow to rise to the occasion, the Covenant books are worthwhile. TC is the epitome of the Anti-Hero and that's what makes the series dark and difficult. Donaldson writes at the level of emotions and really lets things build to a very high pitch. It can be taxing but I think very satisfying.

Oberon said:
Donaldson writes at the level of emotions and really lets things build to a very high pitch. It can be taxing but I think very satisfying.

I've gotten to A Man Rides Through (after much cursing under my breath of the plodding pace) and it seems that Mirror was more of a prolog--thats the sort of building he's done. Taxing is a good way to put it but I'll take your advice and try to find the rest of the TC books.

I never got round to finishing the second chronicles. I do have the last book, but I'm reluctant to start reading it as my memory of the first two is very hazy. Anyone know somewhere where I could read some summaries?

this takes me back.... :) i got given these in my granddads will when he died, they were falling apart and the loose covers were missing but i fixed em with some gaffer tape... Good books although it did take me two readings of the whole trilogy to get it... i was 11 at the time.

i think ill read each of the new lot as they come out (i do for everything else i read)

Rather than start a new thread, and assuming there isn't another one more dedicated to RUnES ... I must admit a mild disappointment with the first book. The Wounded Land, the first book in the second series, was rivetting and with the culmination of the Camorra in Seareach, Donaldson really set the standard high for a sequel. The first book of the new series just doesn't reach that pitch of emotion and consequence. It may be that a certain character had not arrived on the scene ... but I do hope that it picks up when the next book comes out.

I couldn't get into Wounded Land at all, and I gave up on this series. Mind you, that was years ago when I think some of the themes were a little beyond me. I just recall
him raping a woman in the openning chapter and something about leporasy and losing it when he crossed to the new world.
I think this is in the first 20 pages so it's not really a spoiler.

Hmm, I actually saw the first book of the new series in a bookshop yesterday. I resisted buying it because I have decided that I won't get them until they have all been written. I hope that I am not disappointed like you were, Oberon.

I need to get the Second Chronicles first.

But once they're bought and read I'll get to the Last Chronicles. I'll have to read them.

Back