• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The nightmare of Publishing...

Hah, the 'nightmare of publishing'. If only I could get past putting words on paper. Publishing seems a very distant land - I need a map as I'm constantly stuck in Procrastination. And then if, by some small chance, I escape Procrastination I find myself on an endless roundabout dithering between exits - research via the internet (time flies here), editing as I go along (deadly) and then the dreaded writers block. And let's not forget that wonderful place called Insecurity which leaves you wondering if you've got what it takes and what an awful waste of time if you haven't:eek:

So if you've reached the magical place called Publishing my hat goes off to you. And maybe you just haven't found the right publisher yet;)

Breaca said:
Hah, the 'nightmare of publishing'. If only I could get past putting words on paper. Publishing seems a very distant land - I need a map as I'm constantly stuck in Procrastination. And then if, by some small chance, I escape Procrastination I find myself on an endless roundabout dithering between exits - research via the internet (time flies here), editing as I go along (deadly) and then the dreaded writers block. And let's not forget that wonderful place called Insecurity which leaves you wondering if you've got what it takes and what an awful waste of time if you haven't:eek:

So if you've reached the magical place called Publishing my hat goes off to you. And maybe you just haven't found the right publisher yet;)

That was what I had been through. I am going to use a quote from a friend "It is like women giving birth, after the first one. The rest comes easy." Well said.:D

Breaca said:

Maybe you should write a book about procrastination. After all: write what you know. ;)

The only way to get published these days is to be a celebrity.

So, get yourself the biggest boobs on the planet, kill someone, preferably another celebrity, become a footballer, have perverted sex with celebrities, become a third rate actress with a huge coke intake, a drug dealer, making sure you supply celebrities and so on.

There are so many ways to become a published writer. The mistake most of us make is to practice writing.:rolleyes:

See, it's simple!

And even if you do get published, you probably won't make enough money to live on. (A friend of mine published four books and never made enough money to quit his day job.)

Some would argue that getting published today is far easier than it ever has been in the past.

Others would simply say that those that get published never quit trying.

In my opinion, advertising doesn't sell books. So that leaves publicity and word of mouth. To get publicity you need to already be a celebrity, or be unique and outrageous. To get word of mouth, your book needs to be so incredibly good, or so different, that people will talk about it instead of all the thousands of other books out there that are published every year.

So those are the standards that publishers hold writers too.

It's one reason I find this place so fascinating. It's very interesting to see what books real people want to talk about and how critical they are of even experienced writers.

jaybe said:
The only way to get published these days is to be a celebrity.

So, get yourself the biggest boobs on the planet, kill someone, preferably another celebrity, become a footballer, have perverted sex with celebrities, become a third rate actress with a huge coke intake, a drug dealer, making sure you supply celebrities and so on.

There are so many ways to become a published writer. The mistake most of us make is to practice writing.:rolleyes:

See, it's simple!

lol. This is hilarious. :D

blueboatdriver said:
Is getting puplished the Holy Grail or is that, actually selling enough copies of the book in question to make a living?

Writers are dreamers, we have to have a "Real" job in order to support our dreams.:D

We have so many great writers in this forum, why don't we all write a relay game thread together. Like all writers here are writing a story together.

It will be fun and hilarious.

I will start a thread in the General Chat,

The topic will be "Relay game: Story of the guy named Ed."

All writers are welcome to participate.:D

Back