• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Pitt?

Gem

kickbox
Hi guys, below is a two page extract from my kids book temporarily titled: The Pitt. I would be grateful for all feedback - would esp. appreciate constructive criticism :)

Extract:

Polly had left Jacob standing outside the door of the very first dorm. It was the furthest away from the front entry and the closest to the dining area. Jacob knocked and a small boy with sharp pixie features and dark hair opened the door marginally and stared sheepishly out at him. Jacob cleared his throat.
“Hi, I’m Jacob Nile and I’ll be staying here with you for a few days.” The boy nodded, murmured “okay” and was about to shut the door when Jacob quickly stuck his hand out stating “No, I mean I’ll be staying here in this room” seeing that the boy was just standing there uncertainly, Jacob pushed the door open, making the boy jump back, and stepped into the room.

The room contained three bunk beds all arranged in a row. Two large windows looked out onto the Titus forest and a small wooden door stood partially open in the furthest corner. Sitting on the floor between the beds were four boys. They looked up at him with O formed mouths.

“Um hi I’m Jacob and I’ll be sharing this room” Jacob stepped further into the room, putting his small rucksack onto the floor. Noticing that the boys made no reply, he continued, “well I can see there’s three bunk beds and five of you so that means that I get the last bunk right? So which one isn’t being used?” Again there was no reply. He made his way towards the bunk that seemed to be the neatest and sat down with a large thud. “Well I guess this is mine. If I’m taking someone’s bed speak now or forever hold your peace. Wow you guys are a noisy bunch, do you ever shut up?”

The boys just watched him warily. Disliking their silence Jacob kept up an ongoing spiel “so what do you guys do around here, you always holed up in your rooms? I never saw a single kid out in the corridors. I hope the food round here’s good, you guys sure can chat you know I doubt I’ll ever get any sleep in this noise of yours. So what’s the deal with that elevator by the Matrons office where’s it lead?”

Mention of the elevator finally brought a reaction, and the small boy who had opened the door quickly made sure it was shut tight before he turned to Jacob and said, “we know nothing, why do you ask us that?” Jacob shrugged in reply telling them that it was no big deal to him and that he had just noticed it in passing. One of the boys got up from the floor and came closer to Jacob, soon the others joined him.

The pixie-faced boy spoke again “I’m Rudi, this here is Darcy, that’s Ryan, and them two are Chubster and Poseidon.” Jacob raised his eyebrow at the strange names. Rudi shrugged and replied “boys who come in with no name get named by their teachers. Ryan and me came in with our names but these guys got named. Nora told us who each of em was named after. Cept for Chubster even Nora don’t know why he’s called Chubster, said it was most likely just a bad joke” Jacob looked over at the pitifully thin and frail looking Chubster who just shrugged sadly in return.

Rudi continued to talk; it appeared that despite the initial silence he liked to talk. “Nora, she’s one of the old cleaners been here forever, she said that one of the teachers had had a thing for them pre prehistoric Greeks so she used names from them. We got a Troy, Hercules, Achilles, and a Perseus an all; you’ll meet em tomorrow. We asked her why the nutty teacher would call old Posi here Poseidon, she just laughed and said on accountah the fact that he used to wet his bed a lot. Don’t know what she was on about. I think old Nora’s a bit nutty too.” And before he could continue all the lights went off. “Right quick get into bed the checker will be here soon” Darcy said frantically as the boys struggled to quickly get into their respective bunks.

When the Checker having made sure that they were in bed, had long gone the boys began talking again, informing Jacob of many things, but the main thing he learned was to stay out of Matrons way, for as Rudi put it “No matter how polite she talks that is one dangerous lady.”

not the pitts

I have to say I did want to keep reading on as it left me curios so thats good. i found some of the dialouge a little confusing at first but then i got that that was the way the characters where.
could u tell me whar genre it is?

Hi magpie,

thanks for your reply. Firstly theres not an exact genre-I guess the closest i could say would be adventure but with a pinch (just a pinch) of science fiction thrown in.Generally though its a dark storywith lashings of humour- or at least its meant to be LOL.

The title is just temporary - i call it that because a place in the story is referred to as the pitt, but i will be changing the title - not sure what to though. once again thank you for your reply (i'll take a look at that dialogue again).

Okay 25 viewings and only 1 reply, it must be worse then i thought 'bangs head on keyboard' :D

yw

Seiously tho i meant it that i was curios to see what happened next and i would be willing to read more. it'd be cool to help with the title but cos i don't know what happens in the story i cant make a suggestion.
people will give a reply i'm new but from some of the other threads i've been reading they do give replys and critiques and stuff prob just need more time it ain't cos your writting is bad its not its really good.

Gem said:
Okay 25 viewings and only 1 reply, it must be worse then i thought 'bangs head on keyboard' :D
The ratio here for viewings : replies is about 100 : 1, or so I have noticed since joining a few months ago. Give it a few days and you'll get some replies. Most that use this forum have busy lives, so they/we like to pop in whenever they/we get a few moments, and later visit to do some further reading of posts... when there's time to relax a little.

I have pulled many keys from my face that have stuck there after banging my head against the keyboard.

Here's some quick help. I'll go paragraph by paragraph... at least on the first few.

Gem said:
Polly had left Jacob standing outside the door of the very first dorm. It was the furthest away from the front entry and the closest to the dining area. Jacob knocked and a small boy with sharp pixie features and dark hair opened the door marginally and stared sheepishly out at him. Jacob cleared his throat.
If this is intended for a younger audience, you may want to take out some of those three- and four-syllable adjectives (which I detest, by the way) and get rid of, or combine, certain lines. I would also take out the second sentence, which seems irrelevant. Something like this, perhaps:

Polly left Jacob standing outside the dorm room. Jacob knocked and a pixie sort of boy with dark hair opened the door a crack and stared back sheepishly [ I actually like this here, since it brings a quick visual ]. Jacob cleared his throat.

“Hi, I’m Jacob Nile and I’ll be staying here with you for a few days.” The boy nodded, murmured “okay” and was about to shut the door when Jacob quickly stuck his hand out stating “No, I mean I’ll be staying here in this room” seeing that the boy was just standing there uncertainly, Jacob pushed the door open, making the boy jump back, and stepped into the room.
You need a little work with your dialogue, and with punctuation within/around such dialogue. I also added/removed some text to clarify which boy you are referencing; however, you may want to separate the dialogue by paragraph, bouncing back and forth between the two characters.

“Hi, I’m Jacob Nile, and I’ll be staying here with you for a few days.” The boy hidden behind the door [ to add reference to whom you are describing ] nodded and murmured, “Okay...” He was about to shut the door, but Jacob stuck his hand in the way [ to clarify ] and stated, “No, I mean I’ll be staying here. In this room [ to add emphasis ].” Seeing that the boy just stood there uncertain, Jacob pushed his way through. [ this clarifies the whole ‘jumped back’ / ‘just stood there’ dilemma ]

The room contained three bunk beds all arranged in a row. Two large windows looked out onto the Titus forest and a small wooden door stood partially open in the furthest corner. Sitting on the floor between the beds were four boys. They looked up at him with O formed mouths.
More clarification, restructuring of words, et cetera:

The room contained three bunk beds aligned in a row. Two large windows overlooked [ instead of ‘looked out onto’ ] the Titus Forest. [ here I would give more detail about the room, maybe a few sentences, besides the wooden door in the corner (did you mean corner?) ] Sitting on the floor were four other boys; they looked to Jacob with gaping mouths [ O formed sounds weird, maybe O-shaped?]

I hope this helps! It's a start anyway. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Thank you Sirmyk :)

am doing a hatchett job of the editing as we speak - not that we're actually speaking - do you think that expression is okay to use in computer communication?

went off topic there sorry, little habit of mine :rolleyes:

k um the book is aimed towards 11-14 year olds. I tend to bounce the words off my nephews to ascertain suitability, but i can definetly see a few that need to be changed.

As for that very second line "It was the furthest away from the front entry and the closest to the dining area" its in there because just before this extract starts the Polly character has given Jacob a tour of the building before leaving him at the dorm, and the position of the dorm is kinda important later, i guess i'll have to make it fit in better.

Thank you very much for you excellent guidance. Now that you've pointed 'it' out i can see it - why couldn't i just see it before? Doh!

thanks.

Hi, Gem. I got into this. If you finish this story are you going to try to publish it or are you just writing it for fun? Well, I'd like to read more so please post some more extracts!

Hi geneviv, thanks for your post. :)

i have loads of editing to do before i even consider submitting it to publishers. I've always had stories/worlds/characters in my head but its only recently that i've started to pin them down in writing.
My main aim at the moment is to get as much of the darn stuff out of my head and onto paper so that i can remember the more practical aspects of life - i.e. where i put my house keys, and making it in to work without getting lost etc. :D

below is the opening of the story, let me know what you think.

The Pitt;

Jacob Gibbs was going on a mission. A secret mission.

His parents were never home; they had too many people to impress, too many businesses to expand, too little time to do it all in. Jacob never let this bother him, in fact he was glad, it meant that he had all the time in the world to devote to his own projects without any interruption or looks of disapproval.

That all changed the night his parents died. They were travelling on the TA- UT – the transatlantic underwater train. There was a technical mishap and everyone onboard drowned.

Suddenly Jacob didn’t like the quietness in the house – couldn’t stand it. The rainforest he had been trying to cultivate in Cooks herb garden lost all its appeal and the bright allure of his gadget room dimmed. The normally bright smiling eleven year old now skulked around in the shadows of the large house, haunting it more effectively then any ghost.

No true relatives could be identified and the Gibbs’ business managers who although willing to handle the business side were most unwilling to take on the day to day care of such a young ward. So Lucas, a lifelong butler became guardian to the boy heir of a large and powerful business empire.

During one of his many midnight forays into his fathers study, Jacob came across a most puzzling collection of papers. The papers indicated that a very high sum of money was being paid to the Titus Tate Orphanage every month.

This was no charity donation; the sum was being paid for the upkeep of an unnamed child. The last paper in the collection shocked Jacob to the core. It was a letter from Titus Tate Orphanage confirming that they would discreetly take care of the Gibbs’ son. The letter was almost twelve years old. His father had another son; he had hidden him in an orphanage.

All his feelings of uncertainty and anger towards his father instantly melted when he realised that this meant he was not alone, he still had family.

The Gibbs Corporation carried out an investigation for Jacob, but no record was found of any such child having been admitted to the Titus Tate Orphanage. The collection of papers was deemed unreliable and the monthly payments dismissed as charity donations.

One of the junior members of the investigation team however, was a good friend of Lucas’; he informed Jacob that something was not quite right; the Orphanage had warned the Corporation to search no further. Not only that, but the Orphanage had some powerful backing, and some of the most influential people in Government had threatened an injunction against the Corporation if it did not stop its investigation.

Jacobs father had always said that if you had money, then all doors would swing automatically open for you. The doors of the Titus Tate Orphanage however refused to budge. So Jacob figured that sometimes you just have to knock politely, and if they wouldn’t return his brother, then he Jacob, would just have to go in and get him.

The thing about knocking on a closed door however, is that you never know who will answer.

Is that the intro? because I got into it right way. I totally didn't expect the twist with the mystery-son.

So that's why he was at that boarding house. . . Hmmm!

Thank you for sharing again, Gem. Please, keep working on it because the parts you've shared with us here are great.

thanks for the encouragement geneviv, so glad you liked it. :)

i'll definetly keep working on it.

Do you write?

No, I don't write. I use to when I was younger and I think it's a great way of expressing yourself.

The writer's showcase has inspired me so I might try it again.

its so good that the writers showcase has inspired you, please do write and post I'd love to read your work. :)

writing is great for tuning out the world and listening to yourself -you know what i mean

Gem,
Great story so far. I've always been interested in children's literature and this seems to be, at first glance, a book I would give to my child.
At the very beginning you had me thinking of Lemony Snicket, but like geniviv said, the twist of the "mystery-son" gave it a look of it's own.
There are a few word choice questions. But, they are more a matter of opinion and I leave the creative genius to the good author.
Cheers
Elyse

thanks Elyse

I'm glad you find the story appealing. The characters/places and story are so vivid in my head but its difficult to do justice to them on paper, which is why editing is an ongoing process for me, everytime i reread a section i end up re writing a sentence here and changing a word there.

There are a few word choice questions. But, they are more a matter of opinion

i'm so grateful that you took the time to read and reply to my post. I would definetly value your opinion, thats why i posted on the writers showcase - to get an objective view.

thanks again for your post. :)

See, Gem... it's all just a matter of time before posters post. I'll get to my critique of this work a little later...

Ok then. The major question is just a matter of.... "I wouldn't have understood this word at the age of 11." When you wrote an "injunction against the corporation"... the exact phrase escapes me, but the word was injunction. I even asked seven of my gymnastics students yesterday, all aged between 10 and 13, and only one of them knew what an injunction was.... well she said she knew. She said she knew it "had to do with the law" but that was all. That's the only big question in my mind. Other than just a grammar question.... "More effectively then a ghost." Isn't it supposed to be "than?" You've probably already caught that if I'm right.
Thanks for the reply.
E.

thanks Elyse, your point is completely valid (thank you for going to so much trouble as well). I'm wondering whether i should somehow insert an explanation of the whole 'injunction against the corporation' as it is very important later or whether i should just use simpler language. My third option is to basically make up a new 'word' as the story has some sci fi elements and is set out of our time.

it all goes to show just how important ongoing editing is.

thanks again.

sirmyk:
I'll get to my critique of this work a little later...

uh oh...i wait with baited breath...

Back