• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Professions in Fiction

David181173

I've just started, Judicial Whispers, the seconed in Caro Fraser series of novels set around the barristers chambers at Caper Court. They're fairly middle of the road in terms of literary merit, but entertaining if you like reading about the world of work. Whilst this may sound like a strange liking, the success of the UK tv comedy "The Office" would suggest that we actually quite like things that ring true as a reflection of our daily existance.

I keep reading this sort of novel in the hope it will give me some idea what I really want to do for a living. I'm not considering the law, but I might still get some sort of inspiration.

As you might expect, the personal lives of the principal characters figure almost as prominently as their professional lives. With the first of the novels I became interested in the characters, but can't say that I really liked them. Now in the second I find myself attracted to the character of young solicitor Rachel Dean. She's intelligent, good looking, scrupulously tidy, well organised and she listens to Radio 4. So far she sounds like the sort of girl I've been looking for. I can really identify with people who give a higher priority to tidying their flat than going out for a drink. Sad isn't it?

This is definitely a series that makes more sense read in order. So if you like the sound of this, I would suggest you start with "The Pupil".

Has anyone come across any other good novels about the professions? I also enjoyed Penelope Lively's "City of the Mind", about an architect. It included an entertaining encounter with an east-end gangster/property developer.

I wonder if anyone has written a novel in which the principal character is an interesting accountant? I'm sure there must have been one or two about accountants having a midlife crisis, are there any giving a more positive impression?

Now two-thirds through J.W. and my heroine has somewhat fallen from grace, though in many ways I feel sorry for her. She has been damaged in the past and is now being badly used by another of the principal characters. Still a very good read though, even if it does demonstrate just how very old fashioned many of my personal attitudes are.

Back