• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Question of Time

Halcyon

Many television shows, and books I've read, talk about going back in time or going into the future. In Star Trek, for example, the federation has a governmental organization that tries to keep everything the same. In Douglas Adam's world such things are not to be of any concern because it's like a puzzle that all fits together as alternating universes in the end. According to Adams, the big problem is not going back in time and alternating the future (like becoming your own grandfather or something) but rather the great struggle is in finding the correct tenses to use at the proper time in describing the travels!!

What are some Sci-Fi books with interesting time-travel issues that you, dear reader, enjoyed? And what are your general opinions about time-travel that you've ascertained from all the books/TV you've encountered?

Oversoul 7 and the Museum of Time

by Jane Roberts

The standard by which all visionary fiction should be judged, December 16, 2000

Reviewer: David Perry (Los Angeles, CA USA) - on www.amazon.com

"For those who have read some or all of the Seth books, this is an enthralling explanation, in a fictional context, of the sometimes mind-boggling concepts Jane Roberts/Seth expounded upon.

If you have not read any of the Seth Material but are curious, you will realize that what you are reading is nothing less than a literary "theory of everything"-the true nature of time, life, reality and even God.

Oversoul Seven is presented as a cosmic "everyman", a literal student of Godhood, being tutored by his patient (and seemingly omnipotent) instructor Cyprus to oversee the incarnations of his human charges-to guide but never interfere with the choices they make.

And what a cast of characters! It is not possible to in this short space to reveal all of them, but they are so brilliantly realized they you will not be able to resist identifying with one or more of them;- there is something for everyone in this uplifting, intellectually challenging and visionary masterwork."

Time and Again, Jack Finney - a kind of time travel where if you just wish hard enough, you're there. Lots of fun, lots of pictures. :)

i don't think that i read a good book with timetraveling, but the movie THE TIMEMACHINE was pretty good, and i think that timetraveling is impossible, otherwise the past, present and future had to exist at the same time and then it wouldn't make a difference anymore if you in the past or the future!! strange logic, but maybe somebody outthere will understand me!! :D

i was going to recomend an spanish book called caballo de troya (troyan horse), but it seems its not translated in english, which i find kinda strange since it has had huge sales. its a book from the 70's and now its like in caballo de troya 8 or something like that (but only the first one its really recomendable)

update. happy coincidence it seems its being translated to be launched on english market
so if you ever see this one, give it a try.

i cant find a review on english and right now im to lazy to write or translate one, but promise to do it tonight

edit. all i could find was this review for the audiobook

Jerusalén. Caballo de Troya (Jerusalem. The Trojan Horse), audiobook dramatized in Spanish based on the International Bestseller from J.J. Benitez ©. In this extraordinary production, Benitez unveils the truth never told before about the figure and history of Jesus of Nazareth, and how super-potencies cover their military and space projects to the public; The Trojan Horse. In 1973, the US Air forces, after many years of preparation, executed one of their most secret projects, "The Trojan Horse’s Operation." A retired Air force Major in his last days gave to J.J. Benitez authentic documentation about this project, in which two pilots traveled in time to the year 30 of our time, and had direct contact with Jesus Christ and discovering how the sacred story really happened. Now, FonoLibro brings you a dramatized version in Spanish of the international bestseller in the audiobook format, with a full cast of more than 25 actors, original music, and sound effects that would make you feel as if you were present in the story. (9 CDs. Aprox. 10 Hours)

honeydevil...

honeydevil said:
... the past, present and future had to exist at the same time and then it wouldn't make a difference anymore if you in the past or the future!! strange logic, but maybe somebody outthere will understand me!! :D

That's exactly the premise of the "Oversoul Seven" books, honeydevil, that time is not linear, but that all time exists simultaneously in the Spacious Present.

This makes perfect sense to me.

StillILearn said:
That's exactly the premise of the "Oversoul Seven" books, honeydevil, that time is not linear, but that all time exists simultaneously in the Spacious Present.

This makes perfect sense to me.

it makes NO sense to me!!

It's kinda like ...

... infinity, honeydevil.

What would be before time, and what would be after time? If time were strung out like a string of beads?

:confused:

Time Schmime

I have yet to read any book that dealt with time travel in an intelligent way and didn't end up resorting to cop-outs. *THHGTTG is exempt from this b/c Douglas Adams was not trying to "deal" with anything.* Actually, time travel is one of my biggest scifi peeves - it's so messy I wish people would just leave it alone. They don't seem to come up with rules for time travel - the physics of it, not Time Police - and think that if they write a good enough story with deep characterizations, all will be forgiven. But this is scifi! Yes, story and characterization are important (the fi), but what about respecting the sci? Were Asimov and Herbert the last ones to actually do solid research before writing their books?

And I just have to mention that I saw the movie The Time Machine too, the one with Guy Pearce, and if that's the same version that's been mentioned before I have to completely disagree! The effects were horrible, there was so much overacting, and I was completely pulled out of the story time and again by Pearce's cheekbones (did he completely stop eating? or have all the fat sucked out of his face like Peter in The Family Guy?) they were just sick. And I was really excited that a movie was being made based on an H.G. Wells story. He's one of my favorite scifi pioneers and is very overlooked these days.

Okay, rant over. Oh, almost forgot, I have to tell y'all that this is my first post and apologize for being a newbie. ;)

i like it better the older version of the time machine
but i saw that one as a kid, so maybe if i saw it today i wouldnt think its so great, but yes i have the impresion that its a lot better than the latest one

honeydevil said:
i don't think that i read a good book with timetraveling, but the movie THE TIMEMACHINE was pretty good, and i think that timetraveling is impossible, otherwise the past, present and future had to exist at the same time and then it wouldn't make a difference anymore if you in the past or the future!! strange logic, but maybe somebody outthere will understand me!! :D
you are a time traveler, you move forward even now. unless, your dead. thats kinda natures stop sign. increase your speed to see the 3005, its possible. not fiction.

Back