• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Shipping News

lemur

Just saw this the other night. What are people's opinions?

I watched it with some trepidation as I'd heard mixed reviews. T.S.N. is one of my favourite books and I didn't want any "wrong" images in my head from the film next time I read it.

Overall, I'd give it 3/5. A few things were pretty good (the scenery, the adaptation of the book) but generally it just "wasn't bad". Kevin Spacey tried too hard in several scenes, especially at the beginning. The rest of the casting was alright though I had Wavey as being a bit more weather-beaten.

I didn't like the film version of the old cousin though.

One question - was Judi Dench's accent appalling, or was it accurate? I've never heard a Newfoundland accent before and her's veered between Irish and Scottish half the time.

Kev

I agree with you, I loved, loved, loved the book, and thought the movie was OK. I didn't really like any of the casting, but the acting was pretty good. The scenery was the best part about the movie.

I count The Shipping News among the four or five really original new books I've read in the past few years. The things that make it extraordinary: the bending of language throughout, with a great ear for twisted metaphor and imagery; the outer ugliness of the characters that eventually yields to show their inner strength and kindness and they become beautiful, which is a mirror for the Newfoundland landscape; the comedy in everything, especially the newsroom, with it's perverse small-town focus on gore; the great use of the shipping theme, with the knots and aphorisms at chapter beginnings; the way Proulx infuses the landscape and homes with personality, even evilness in some places, and weaves the interconnectedness of all the families and their histories. Obviously I just love that book.

The movie lacked almost all of these things. It reduced the book to a simple storyline about too-pretty people enduring the usual trials, boy-meets-girl stuff, and sugary happy-family endings. The beauty of the book was in its paradoxes, which the movie erased.

That said, the movie was, you know, eh, okay. Like no-car-chases-are-good-car-chases. Of course Juliette Moore is just plain beautiful and should not have been cast, but Hollywood can't help itself. And Quoyle was described by Proulx as looking like "uncooked dough" at some point, but Spacey looks like a down-on-his-luck regular schlump.

I can't condemn the movie, but it left me wanting a lot more grit and reality and faithfulness to the text. As I've been saying a lot lately, given the current Presidential race: IS THAT THE BEST THAT YOU CAN DO, WITH ALL THAT MONEY AND POWER WE GET STUCK WITH THIS MEDIOCRE DRIVEL??

Novella

I can see that the film upset you a little bit :)

Did you honestly think it was that bad? Maybe I was expecting lower standards because of the mixed reviews I'd heard but as I said, I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Something that I forgot to add to my original message though was that my rating was very much based on having read and loved the book - I did fill in missing gaps from my knowledge of the book. Without having read the book I probably would have thought much worse of the film.

I still think they made a fairly good stab at adapting the book into film (given that I can't imagine it would be the easiest), and they definitely managed to capture the harsh, almost savage beauty and magic of Newfoundland which played a large part in my enjoyment of the book.

Kev

Kev,

I wouldn't say the movie "upset me" at all. I'm a person of strong opinions. Perhaps that comes across as "upset" in a forum like this?

I meant it when I said the movie was okay. Like as good as you can expect from Hollywood, as good as the latest Julia Roberts vehicle. There's nothing BAD about it.

Tell you what I thought was brilliant: Adaptation. You know why? Because it did something unique and different and artful with the book The Orchid Thief. It didn't just try to replicate what was in print on the screen, but brought its own medium in to play. That's something you can't really expect out of Hollywood, but it's brilliant when it happens.

Novella

novella said:
Kev,

I wouldn't say the movie "upset me" at all. I'm a person of strong opinions. Perhaps that comes across as "upset" in a forum like this?

I was actually meaning exactly how you've described your reaction - upset as in "stirred up". No offence meant.

novella said:
Tell you what I thought was brilliant: Adaptation. You know why? Because it did something unique and different and artful with the book The Orchid Thief. It didn't just try to replicate what was in print on the screen, but brought its own medium in to play. That's something you can't really expect out of Hollywood, but it's brilliant when it happens.

Glad you reminded m e of this! I was interested in seeing that film but missed it at the cinemas and the local video "shop" never has anything. I've just an online DVD club so I'll add that to the list. Thanks! :) Any other recommendations?

Kev

"Any other recommendations?"

Actually, yeah. First let me say that Adaptation is not for everyone. But if you liked the book The Shipping News, I think it might work for you.

A few of my favorite recentish movies are:

Tampopo, a Japanese movie about a noodle shop. Way way better than this description. Very funny indeed.

Amelie, a French movie with rich saturated color and a bizarre little storyline.

Ocean's Eleven, typical Hollywood, but the GOOD kind.

The Secret of Roan Inish, John Sayles's movie set off the Irish coast.

Haven't read the book, but found the movie to be alright. Nothing mind blowing but didn't regret taking the time to watch it.

Other movies recently watched and liked...hmm...

The Barbarian Invasions....Safe Conduct....still watch fight club every couple of weeks. Why is it you can never think of these types of things when you specifically try?? :mad:

I saw Tampopo a few years ago - that was pretty good. Amelie I've had recorded since Christmas but haven't got around to watching yet.

The Secret of Roan Inish sounds interesting - I'll check this out eventually. Thanks.

Kev

Back