• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Simpsons... Movie!

beer good

A while back, I had the chance to chat briefly with Simpsons producer/screenwriter Dave Mirkin. When I asked him if there was anything they hadn't yet managed to do in 18 seasons, he laughed: "Full frontal nudity!"

Well, he'll have to come up with a new answer now.

The Simpsons Movie has all that we've come to expect when a US TV series gets turned into a movie; a little more nudity (sadly, not Marge), a little more cursing ("Goddamn"), a little more booze and drugs, bigger special effects, more drama, the death of a beloved character or two (I'm not saying who) and an A plot that dominates almost completely.

The latter is a pity, really, because it means we lose some of that constant barrage of jokes, non sequiturs, references and mad C plots that always dominated good Simpsons episodes. Instead, and it really is good compnensation, we get a more solid story which might not be 100% original, but which works for 90 minutes. Even though it's a cartoon sitcom, The Simpsons has always had a lot of heart and humanity at its core and that works wonders here; even though I'm laughing my ass of for a lot of the movie, the scene that really remains is one in the first half where that big North American ape Homer gets to expound on how he sees life in a monologue that's as close as I've come to weeping in a movie theatre this year (so far!). In spite of all his madcap schemes and less-than-below-average IQ, Homer has always been a man who's on some level painfully aware of how lucky he is, and that works wonders here.

But mostly, it's a lot of fun. We get meta jokes (the black board!), we get references to other movies (Spiderpig!), we get completely pointless celebrity guests, we get some mild-mannered political satire, we get a bunch of not-too-bright yet well-meaning charcters trying to get out of ridiculous situations, we get... a hell of a good time, really. You can tell that they've brought back most of the old gang (Brooks, Groening, Jean, Mirkin, Reiss, Swartzwelder, Meyer, Scully etc) to write; they manage to stretch a Simpsons ep to 4 times its normal length and make it better than most of the entire seasons the show has had lately. I've waited for this movie for more years than I'd like to count, and after the laughter fades, what remains is a peculiar feeling that I think is the absence of disappointment. They delivered, goddamnit.

(Oh, and we get Maggie's first words to anyone else, too.)

4/5, I think.

My life with the Simpsons

I can still remember the night "The Simpsons" premiered in my country. It was 1992, I was at my then bff's house with her family waiting anxiously for the show that had been publicized for so long (I even had all the official dolls by then, including a Maggie that was chewed contantly by my then 3yo brother). And then my life changed forever. I am one of those people who grew up watching The Simpsons, that awaited every friday for the new episode, and with the years, no matter how lousy some seasons were, I never gave up on Matt Groening's creation. Sounds silly, but they are nowadays one of the pillars of my personality, with their pop references, cartoony irreverence and infinite irony. I still like to buy the CDs and their books and now the seasons on DVD. So the coming of this picture was an event that had to be celebrated.
We went yesterday to the premiere with two other Simpsons fans, and had a really fun time. We were surrounded by teenagers who didn't fully understand some of the jokes (those who remember the first seasons will) but who also had a great time, because after all, the magic behind The Simpsons is not only about complicated references, but it has to do with character humanity and funny little jokes that have more to do with slapstick and classic animation than on a witty line.
I wasn't deceived by the movie, yes I would have liked a more developed script with the secondary characters, more irreverence and...well that's all I felt it missed. I loved the monologue at the beggining, the scene at the store with the "Wanted" poster and the general criticism to politics (and how can I forget the cops scene when Marge arrives to the hotel?). I got what I wanted and can't say I'm dissapointed, I'm just waiting for the sequel.
And like my friend Ernesto said "Spider-Pig is for the masses, but Potter-Pig is for a chosen few".

Hasta la vista!

Back