• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Stairs (a psychological/horror story in honor of Halloween)

Jason Evans

(As the days of October shorten, a young man descends with the sunset shadows down seven cellar stairs. This seven part series will be appearing on my blog during the month of October.)

ai216.photobucket.com_albums_cc98_jevanswriter_TheStairs1rs.jpg

Paulie's long shadow stretched toward the cottage. Abandoned windows tilted in frames, and dust clouded the glass like milk.

The day was fading. On the ground, Paulie's stilt legs merged with the shadow of the hickory tree behind him.

He checked his watch.

5:59 p.m.

He stepped forward toward the tired yellow wall as the 59 popped like little hungry mouths to 00. He opened the storm cellar doors. Rust flaked from salty smelling metal.

The dying sun hung on the last splinters of the first stair, then slid. The shadow of the hickory tree darkened it.

Tingling, he stepped down. Cool mustiness billowed up from the dark. He breathed, and it made his arms shiver.

Skies and lands and plains of humungousness walking with the light and Conan with his sword whips and whistles on science book covers stab stab stabs and the blood laughing in rivers tap fingers because I'm bored and no I don't know the answer you **** my sword swish and spills intestines God warrior God warrior oh shut up I'm trying read when my face is red because I throw like a fag hiding in back I'll cut my hair when I use pieces of your bleached skull my eyes are just tired only tired and red Mrs. oh my Mrs.

The waterfall darkness from the hickory tree flowed onto the second stair, and Paulie's prism thoughts dimmed. His burned-in shoulders slumped on the cottage clapboards.

Before he lifted his old mountain bike from the weeds, he banged closed the storm doors.

He pedaled away on sagging tires. Before coming tomorrow, he would pump them nice and hard.

Nice writing, but I don't have a clue what happened after stepping into the cellar. That's not meant as a criticism, I just don't get it.

JohnB

A fair point. It's just part 1 of a story that will be 7 parts. I should have made that more clear. Hopely the character's thoughts will lead the reader well enough through what is happening.

Part 2--The Second Stair

(As the days of October shorten, a young man descends with the sunset shadows down seven cellar stairs. This seven part series will be appearing on my blog during the month of October.)

**PART 2--The Second Stair**

Spokes and tires rumbled up the dirt road overgrown. Paulie disappeared before a passing car saw him. Six o'clock was close.

Wind sizzled in the dried leaves, and autumn's moods were blowing. Back and forth. Unsettled.

Paulie reached for the storm doors. He stood and waited for the wind to change again.

It happened. Bits of red sun poked through the continents of clouds. Because the day was older than yesterday, the steep shadow from the Hickory tree now claimed the second stair.

He stepped down one.

He stepped down one more and went no farther.

He closed his eyes as the anxious sky smeared out the sun again.

Mornings loved the mornings smelling your hair when you passed and walking in that slow extra way sorry yes sorry I'm paying attention homework yes I mean no I mean I tried to do my homework but I okay I'll go to the board if you want I'll go and the smirking kid in front doesn't know you hand me the chalk and I touch my finger to your finger natural like and I and I can't make the numbers in my brain because your skin isn’t real I can see through it or sink into it and disappear I could disappear in the round smooth skin you want me you don't want me to see I can't you know I can't stop touching your neck slick and sliding neck is climbing your neck is faster your neck oooh and your neck is going it's going it's STOP YELLING I know it's dinner time Jesus I know I'm coming

6:02 p.m.

Paulie's breaths fluttered as he stumbled back up the two steps. If the sun were out, the shadow would have passed to the third stair.

The storm door banged closed, and fat, sticky raindrops splattered him from the charcoal sky.

Back