• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind

Henriette

Here's another of my favorite fantasy books.
The Sword of Truth is so wonderful!
There's not many books that can match them.

It's about Richard Cypher, the Seeker.

It has all the essential elements, a likeable hero, a beautiful and mysterious woman, a thoroughly wicked villain intent upon conquering the world, a wise old wizard whose powers are fading, and a host of minor villains and heroes, monsters and magic, exotic settings and odd cultures

If you have read my comments on Edding, take exactly the same thing, only add sexism and needless violence to the list of flaws. Sorry, just my opinion.

*sigh*

Like I said, you can feel whatever you want, but talk about having a negative vision of books!
Then tell me; what do you read that's not childish and written "for ten year old" boys and girls???

I am currently reading this book, my thoughts
I have had a copy on my shelf for ages and I can't remember if I ever finished it. I know I read the begining because the start came flooding back. The first hundred pages do not have the best writing style. It leaves the reader wondering where you are and what is happening. However the plot has been established now and they've set off on their quest, all good fantasy books have a quest *smiles*. So I'll continue with it. Hopefully I'll really get into it and devour the rest of the series.
from this thread

I read a further 80 pages last night, it's skipping along OK but the events feel contrived, and are there to flesh out the 770 pages.
I also dislike the way people fawn over Richard Cypher cos he is The Seeker. I also find his character a bit annoying, his complete trust of people that tell him who the bad guy is quite bizare. He hates the Bad guy already because he is told the bad guy killed his Dad. Plus his crush of Kahleen just does not fit, I you are 14 you'd be able to relate to it but sadly I am a bit older. This crush maybe explained later cos she is a confessor. But why doesn't this then effect everyone? Aide the bone lady is just too obvious as well.
I am beginning to think that I won't be buying any more in the series.

I read Wizard's First Rule and Stone of Tears.

I thought the story was great, the magic was very interesting and not a cheap plot device, and the sex and violence just made the story that much more enthralling.

However, the romance between Richard and Kahlan was getting to the point of being sickening. I had a hard time buying into them falling in love in the first book; I thought Goodkind was pretty weak in developing this.

Great story, but I can't stomach Richard & Kahlan anymore.

Sex and violence, might have o keep reading:D

I'm only a third of the way through and Richard and Kahlan (thanks for the spelling) are annoying me already. Not good when they are principle characters:mad:

Luckily I have a few books with me out here (on the rig). I might start another one.

Originally posted by Henriette

Then tell me; what do you read that's not childish and written "for ten year old" boys and girls???

Well currently on my bookshelf are fantasy and sci-fi books by 56 authors, you managed to pick, out of my three worst writers, two.

Yeah its kind of one thing after another with those two. In the Pillars of Creation he seems to be trying to bring in some new characters--as Richard and Kahlan are hardly seen--but it was still kind of rambling. I think Wizards First Rule was my favorite, but Temple of the Winds was pretty good too.

Personally, Cara is my favorite character so far, though his sister seems to be pretty gutsy too.

Whatever else you say about the guy, no one does misery, pain, and suffering--at least in the Fantasy genre--like Goodkind.

Mord-sith...who'd a thunk it?

I have read most of the books in the Sword of Truth series :)

I think the first 3 books in the series are brilliant. Goodkind as brought together some brilliant characters and I love how he uses magic in the plot lines.

After that the books are still quite good, but the author can drift a little. I'm not the most patient person when it comes to books so if I have to work hard on remembering a lot of detail that can spoil the book for me. Goodkind brings in a bit more detail into the books as the series progresses. Detail that I felt wasnt necessary.
Saying that I am still enjoying the series :)

rune

Originally posted by Carlos
You mean more suffering than our mate Tommy Covenant in Lord Fouls Bane!

I think I bought the first book in that series...didn't Thomas have leprosy or something?

something like that

he was full of self loathing the whole series, became a bit of a bore but I managed to finish the books (all 6).

I prefered Donaldson's Gap series so much more.

I bought the first book when it first came out in paperback. I think the rape near the front of the book threw me off and I never even finished it.

Realistic or not, I always find rape off-putting in a novel. Nothing will make me give up on a series faster.

Love this Series

I have currently read up to Soul of Fire... that was WOW.

Tomorrow I start on Faith of the Fallen, and purchasing the Pillars of Creation.

My favorite Characters are Richard, Cara, I loved Denna, Darken, Zedd, i liked Fitch...

well...

I love this Series!!!!!!! really the only one ive ever been hooked on.

I've always thougth The Sword of Truth was consistently one of the most overated series in fantasy. I just replied to a similar thread on another forum, so here it is:

Regarding sales, and best seller charts, I simply don't use that to gauge how good any writer is, regardless of what genre they write. Neither Goodkind nor the aforementioned Jordan, come near my top 200 works in fantasy (my preferences), most of which they vastly outsell. IMHO Goodkind's first novel, Wizard's First Rule was promising, but none since have been above average in quality, and a couple (Pillars of Creation, and Blood of the Fold) were among the worst works of fiction I have ever read. His most recent work, Chainfire, shows Goodkind's unwillingness to deviate from his derivative nature within the series. Richard and Kahlan seperated, mindless philosophy coming out of nowhere, fromevery character no matter what their background is makes the dialogue unbelivable. People don't talk like that. How many times can you introduce a Lost continent to prolong a story? The most amusing aspect is that Goodkind believes he is a groundbreaking writer and those who don't like his work aren't intellectuals (read any of his interviews). This notion is absurd, there are tons of epic fantasy writers writing much more "headier" works, Martin, and Bakker to name a couple, not to mention the tons of post-modern writers who make Goodkind look like he is writing dialogue for coloring books.

IMHO The Sword of Truth is among the most overated series in fantasy history, but that's just me.

Oh and his personality? Apparently he is also a comedian:

Read THIS

Here is just one excerpt:

" What you are seeing with my novels is something unique. They are not like all the other fantasy books. A tiny group of fantasy fans happens to like things the way they are and only wants more of the same. These few do not under any circumstances; want anything to change or anything that requires thought. They want everything to stay static and simplistic. For these reasons (and others), these people do not like what I write and they never will. They even hate that my books exist, that I write things that dare to uplift and inspire.
Rather than simply reading and enjoying the many books available that they like, they spend their time railing against the one author who is different.
What I have done with my work has irrevocably changed the face of fantasy. In so doing I've raised the standards. I have not only injected thought into a tired empty genre, but, more importantly, I've transcended it showing what more it can be-and is so doing spread my readership to completely new groups who don’t like and wont ready typical fantasy. Agents and editors are screaming for more books like mine.
They can’t find any-for 3 reasons. One, copying innovation is an impossibility. Two, individually cannot be copied. They don’t grasp the essence of my work. What they end up with are authors who imitate some of the nonessential elements unique to my books, believing they must be the secret to success, much as my publishers at first believe that it was the red dragon that defined my work.
Why are editors trying to get more books like mine? Because any one of my backlist sells more copies in a month than most fantasy authors' books sell in their entire run. NAKED EMPIRE has been on the NY Times list for two months now. Far more importantly, I break genre lines and draw my ever growing sales from the much larger pool of general fiction readers who embrace my books
" - Terry Goodkind

LOL! I don't find his work to be above average at best, what is he talking about?

Why are editors trying to get more books like mine? Because any one of my backlist sells more copies in a month than most fantasy authors' books sell in their entire run. NAKED EMPIRE has been on the NY Times list for two months now. Far more importantly, I break genre lines and draw my ever growing sales from the much larger pool of general fiction readers who embrace my books

Hehe Naked Empire was probably the worst fantasy book i have ever read. I wasnt aware that he has such high opinions about himself. His attempts to make the books into something more than fantasy is just pathetic. The books would be much better if he stopped preaching his mindless "philosophy".

What philosophy? I've not gone past his second book, and I actually amazed myself I actually read the second one at all.

Doesn't he realizes that people actually can see the similarities between his work with Jordan's? The one thing that struck me most forcibly while reading his books was the fact that it was so akin to Jordan - from his characters to some of the 'factions', especially Jordan's Aes Sedai versus Goodkind's Light and Dark Sisters, and Jordan's damane with the adam versus Goodkind's "some lady with a device that grants complete control over a captured other" (pulling from memory, I probably got the actual names wrong). I hated that - it cut too close for me.

To hear him talk about copying innovation and authors copying non-essential elements of his stuff is just strange.

All the above are of course IMHO.

ds

Debt of Bones

Ok, WOW.

That was one of the FASTEST moving story lines ive read. It was a very interesting book. Althoug, i read it while i was s'posed to be reaing the Faith of the Fallen. I figured it wouldnt hurt, since DoB is kinda like a prelude to the series NEway. I now own all of the series with the exception of Chainfire. Awesome!!!!! yea, but i really havnt made a dent in FotF. is it good??? oh... could some one send me a PM about zedd???? just to know if he is in this one.... and his role???

Thank you!!!!

stay awesome!

Funny how different things appeal to different people! I HATED Goodkind. Couldn't for the life of me understand how anyone liked him. Having said that, I loved early Eddings, Jordan, Weis & Hickman who others HATE. Guess there's a market for everyone.

Back