• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Thief of Always by Clive Barker

lethaldose

Has anyone else here read this book? I thought it was amazing, at the time Barker was best known for his horror, or perhaps only known for his horror, but I thought this was most amazing book. I think he really accomplished something with it. A child of 10 could read it, understand it, and enjoy it. A teenager could read it, understand it, and enjoy it. Even an adult well into middle age could enjoy it. I include in Children's Fiction because he wrote it as a children's book, but I thought it was so much more. I remember reading in an eight and a half hour sitting all at once. I reread it a few months later because it was so late when I finished that alot of the story washed away within weeks. Any other fans here?

I have read it and thought it very good, but was a little let down by the ending - doesn't he get back to where he had left? I would prefer a darker end for him - getting back and everything being different. It is, though, a more cerebral book than the Abarat books, which are repetitive lightweight fun in comparison (but the sheer inventiveness and the pictures are an incentive to buy the full quartet as it is published). It would be good if he could get back to writing something like The Thief of Always post-2008 when the last Abarat is out.

I really enjoyed reading this book too. I borrowed it from a college friend when I was over at her house one day. I started reading it once I got home and had finished it in two hours. I heard that a movie was coming out for it so that should be interesting to see.

I thought this was a very good book.

I didn't know there was going to be a movie, looking forward to seeing it. :)

Carica said:
It is, though, a more cerebral book than the Abarat books, which are repetitive lightweight fun in comparison (but the sheer inventiveness and the pictures are an incentive to buy the full quartet as it is published).

Aha... I liked the Abarat books, but agree more or less with your comment on them, so now I'm very curious about Thief of Always... :)

*mrkgnao*

Back